Author Topic: Cannon Plans  (Read 1727 times)

Offline leesecw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Cannon Plans
« on: May 08, 2008, 03:14:35 PM »
My buddy that Ive got addicted to blackpowder artillery now has a lathe that will handle an 8 inch diameter, two foot long piece of steel. We've been there and built the mortars, now we are looking for scale cannon plans that would fit that lathe. Anybody got hints on where to look or have any?  Particularly interested in 3 inch ordinance rifles, parrotts, or dahlgrens but all considered that would fit that lathe. Thanks!
If Guns cause crime, then mine are defective...Ted Nugent

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
Re: Cannon Plans
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 03:22:59 PM »
I would stay with Antique Ordnance Publishers plans and just do the math.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 03:39:05 PM »
     We concur;  this way you will have good, accurate, original drawings rather than some "off brand" interpretation of the original drawing.  Divide the over-all-length of the full size tube by your lathe's turned length capability and you will have the scale factor.  Divide all dims. you need to turn your tube by this factor and you will have an accurate manufacturing drawing.  That's the way we do it!

Good luck!

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 03:53:50 PM »
Or, if you have some CAD software, make original full scale drawings and reduce them to whatever size you want.

Don't forget you need almost twice the barrel length in lathe length to allow drilling of the barrel.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 04:04:22 PM »
Yup. Know about drilling the barrel. For the bigger stuff we have access to a lathe that can handle a 22 foot length. Thats for the big toys when money allows.  Money money money gets in the way all the time.  Lots of cutting tools. Buddy is a carbide toolmaker and makes his own. Big lathe and also a massive milling machine sits out on a farm where its used for machining drive shafts and also flywheels for D50 size heavy bulldozers and hydraunits

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 06:39:10 PM »
Sounds like you are amply prepared.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:04:22 PM »

My buddy that Ive got addicted to blackpowder artillery now has a lathe that will handle an 8 inch diameter,two foot long piece of steel. We've been there and built the mortars, now we are looking for scale cannon plans that would fit that lathe. Anybody got hints on where to look or have any?  Particularly interested in 3 inch ordinance rifles, parrotts, or dahlgrens but all considered that would fit that lathe. Thanks!

Yup. Know about drilling the barrel. For the bigger stuff we have access to a lathe that can handle a 22 foot length. Thats for the big toys when money allows.  Money money money gets in the way all the time.  Lots of cutting tools. Buddy is a carbide toolmaker and makes his own. Big lathe and also a massive milling machine sits out on a farm where its used for machining drive shafts and also flywheels for D50 size heavy bulldozers and hydraunits

Ok now this is making more sense! ;D I was trying to figure out why any one would buy a lathe that size with such a short bed! Sounds like you'll be doing some nice work in the future, why don't you post some photos of the mortars? Lets see some of his work.  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 04:44:18 AM »
The lathe was a gift from the owner of the shop he works at. It needed a new motor plus some  worn gears remachined. Gears are fixed. Motor should be in soon I hope. The golf ball mortars, soda can and 12 pounder were made on the bigger lathes out at the farm. Plans supplied by DoubleD. Nice equipment out there but we have to wait to use it and we dont want to make pests out of ourselves. I seem to have problems using my hosted pics for some reason. I used it before so I guess I can figure it out. Two of the  golf ball mortars just sit on plain old beds which we threw together because we couldnt wait to shoot. The others are out of our hands locked up in a cabin up north. Hope to have some pics of those being shot this summer. We are hoping to build 4 more soda can mortars this spring yet and whatever we can figure out cannonwise. That darn money thing gets in the way alot. I supply the steel, he does the machining

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 08:28:32 AM »
leesecw,
  You might consider pouting a DC motor and speed control on the small lathe. No belts or gears to change for speed changes.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:40:41 AM »
You might consider putting a DC motor and speed control on the small lathe. No belts or gears to change for speed changes.

But less torque in the lower speed ranges although you can still make the original mechanical speed changes.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 09:33:29 AM »
The old motor was 3 phase 2 horsepower. He is getting a more powerful motor to use with it. That lathe has all kinds of bells and whistles for pretty much anything we'd want to build in the way of mortars. Anything bigger we would just head for the farm. That monster out there shakes the entire floor in the big barn.

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 03:37:23 PM »

OK We'll try imagebam. Nothing pretty in the pics. I had this in the woods this weekend. This is one of four golfball mortars. This one and one more sit on a hastily made bed. We were too antsy to get out and shoot. The other two sit on more historically accurate beds which I prefer but  I dont do the building just supply the steel. The sodcan and 12 pounder are up north and I hope to get pics of those this summer. Right now its either eat or put #$%^$#** gas in the truck.

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 03:38:41 PM »
Sorry about the pics. I must be doing something wrong because Ive used myhostedpics and imagebam before and had no problem

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 04:25:37 PM »
Let me try this...

Click on the thumbnails.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 04:35:39 PM »
Just as I thought. The URL that ImageBam gives you is a link to the page that displays the photo, not to the photo itself.

Pages can't be displayed in posts.

I used the BB-Code link instead, which displays a thumbnail of the image and opens the page in a new window.

Nice mortar!

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »
Thanks for the pic fix! We shoot those alot. We hope to build more soda can mortars and 12 pounders and and will try the hand at cannons next. I like the stuff more historically accurate in the way they look but I get what is what the  machine buddy builds. My other pals are historically more interested and just buy the barrels and build their own bases or carriages. I would like to have some larger stuff but right now its getting to the point of eat or put gas in the truck.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 06:23:42 AM »
 I KNOW the choices too  -  guns or butter.  ;D

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 01:10:28 PM »
Nice looking mortar! One question though has the wife figured out where her cutting board went yet? ;D

You may want to give Picturetrail.com a try I have used it for the past 6 years it plays nice with all the forums I am on,
 also you can download from there a photo program to your computer for cropping and resizing your photos for those nice tight shots of the item you want to show.

Here's your photo cropped and hosted on picturetrail.com .

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 01:53:12 PM »
I prefer guns   ;D

butter will get you fat   >:(

and Im fat enough already   ::)
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 02:32:55 PM »
I prefer guns   ;D

butter will get you fat   >:(

and Im fat enough already   ::)

Whaaa? I can't live without butter, what would I put in my grits?!?

Fat is no problem, just pose with bigger guns...

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »
Don't you know it's the government's business to keep you from getting fat?  Seems like every other press release from the CDCP is about obesity.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 03:33:10 PM »
I dont know about you guys but I like the pose with bigger guns thought. Very innovative original thinking.  In a few years I should have the belly to pose with a 10 inch siege mortar.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 01:08:57 AM »
ok I understand ,
but my problem is that I havent found any gun yet with an million puond bore   ;D
thats why I decide to pose beside miniatures instead
for example this anchor , no it aint for my boat   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry