Author Topic: USH Recoil Pad  (Read 822 times)

Offline 55esox

• Trade Count: (0)
USH Recoil Pad
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:58:33 AM »
I am looking at putting the finishing touches on my 12 gauge USH, and am thinking of getting a limbsaver type recoil pad. I have the following questions.

1. Do I really need one? I've shot 3 1/2" turkey loads and can handle those (although not exactly a treat). I am more concerned about lessening the shock on my gear than me.

2. I see that limbsaver offers a pad for the Delux (sb2988). I have the regular sb2980. Would these be compatable?

3. if not limbsaver, any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: USH Recoil Pad
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 12:03:15 PM »
The best way to find out is to print the template and compare it to your stock, see Handi Recoil Pads in the FAQs and Help sticky.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »
   I use a slip on Limbsaver on mine after removing the original pad. I went from 10 to 20 slugs to 40 to 60 at the range. You'll need one because even with all it's weight the USH is a very hard kicking gun!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline 55esox

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:56:26 PM »
Would it make sense to install a mercury reducer in addition to a limbsaver? I do like the balance of the setup now.

At the price of ammo nowadays I dont want to be on the range for 40-60 shots!!!!

Offline 55esox

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:57:56 AM »
For what its worth, I installed a grind to fit Limbsaver pad on my 12 and shot this weekend. I think I ran 30 shots through it and can tell you the recoil is not an issue at all. Yes, some slugs have a little more punch (Lightfields), but not anything i would think anyone would develop a flinch from. The recoil is a fraction of what my turkey gun (870) is.

On a side note, the grind to fit pad is actually pretty easy if you have a belt sander. Just take your time and it should come out pretty good.

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:08:04 AM »
I have a USH in the talo special from Lipseys...And this thing KICKS like a mule Could it be from t a change in the stock spec's? But it REALLY does kick.. I was going to put a Limbsaver pad on it...But am really thinking about retireing it... any help here would be appreciated... Drop

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 12:25:27 PM »
    12pt
 Mines retired already, it is now officially a wall hanger! Sorry but the truth for me is My 1100-Hastings will out shoot my USH at any range with any of my different reloads and it recoils alot less!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »
I have a Marlin 512 slugmaster that shoots 2" groups @100yds with lightfield's all day long..I need to try some other loads with it also. I am debateing about the 20ga USH I hear it shoots 2" and under @100yds also. I also hear that the 20ga Encore is a 1 in 24 twist,,The local shop's here really rave about them..Maybe I need one of those too...Drop

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 05:24:42 AM »
I've been shooting 10 and 12 gages which kick more than i can deal with.  I've been wondering about putting a lead rod in the stock.  would that reduce recoil as well as the pads? 

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 06:53:10 AM »
I tried adding lead to my stock and it through the balance off too far....