Poll

do you carry a knife and if so what kind?

yes
53 (96.4%)
no
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: carry knifes  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Bigbuck

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: carry knifes
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 10:28:55 AM »
I feel completely naked without a knife in my pocket.  With that said...I work in a Maximum Security Prison where blades are a no-no.  But...days off, weekends and evenings after work....there will be at least one knife in my pocket.  My vehicles also contain a folding knife in the armrest and a fixed blade in the drivers door.

I don't consider my pocket knife to be a first line defensive type weapon, but it can most certainly be employed as such...

Offline ATR

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2008, 06:44:31 PM »
I recently bought a kershaw "cyclone , it would make a great carry knife.
Check u-tube they have some clips in there. 
I have a ccw permit for pa ,,so for protection I would normally carry a handgun.

Offline Cayoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 02:52:50 AM »

I'm sorry, but I personally think that a butterfly knife is a poor choice.  If you need to use a knife, it usually means that you have let the problem get way too close.  When someone is that close, I don't think it is a good idea to have a knife that you have to "flip" around to open it.  If someone is relatively quick, they could get their hand on that butterfly before it is really open and that would present a problem.  Another issue that I have with them is that they are difficult to open if you are lying on the ground and struggleing with someone.  Even standing up, if you are struggleing with someone, they are much easier to drop (while trying to open) than a regular folder with a thumb clip.

Of course, this is only my opinion, but if I ever have to pull out my Gerber (slim, strong folder that clips to my pocket and is lightning quick to open with the thumb stud), it means that I don't have time or room to pull my handgun.  That means I don't have time or room to have a knife fliping around my hand.  My Gerber is faster to open...only a flick of my thumb. 
Thanks from the Frozen Northwoods!!!

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son.  I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 04:29:13 AM »

I'm sorry, but I personally think that a butterfly knife is a poor choice.  If you need to use a knife, it usually means that you have let the problem get way too close.  When someone is that close, I don't think it is a good idea to have a knife that you have to "flip" around to open it.  If someone is relatively quick, they could get their hand on that butterfly before it is really open and that would present a problem.  Another issue that I have with them is that they are difficult to open if you are lying on the ground and struggleing with someone.  Even standing up, if you are struggleing with someone, they are much easier to drop (while trying to open) than a regular folder with a thumb clip.

Of course, this is only my opinion, but if I ever have to pull out my Gerber (slim, strong folder that clips to my pocket and is lightning quick to open with the thumb stud), it means that I don't have time or room to pull my handgun.  That means I don't have time or room to have a knife fliping around my hand.  My Gerber is faster to open...only a flick of my thumb. 

your very right. I have one and it's hard to keep close and not as fast as my crkt m16 with it's Tanto blade. I also don't like locking back knifes like the buck knifes(had one and did not like it).  Just about any pocket knife with a thumb stud or locking liner style of folder are very fast.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Cayoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 04:53:30 AM »
your very right. I have one and it's hard to keep close and not as fast as my crkt m16 with it's Tanto blade.

I have a son who served 2 tours in Iraq and one in Afgan (on sniper team).  After he got out, he did 2 years working for Blackwater Security overseas.  He really likes that CRKT.  He carries one (along with his Glock) and gave one to his younger brother who also carries it (along with a 1911).  I'm really impressed with that knife.
Thanks from the Frozen Northwoods!!!

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son.  I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Offline Savage

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 08:36:12 AM »
the boot knife only 4'' long so it legal here in FL( i checked) i also have a butterfly knife and i carry a 3 1/2' steel folder outdoor life from when i was 13 to even now, they have done there job well. yeah i know gun is better then knife but i hear that withen 7 yards the knife will win. I don't like assisted opening knifes cause they seem like something they you would get locked up for. Oh yeah they just pass a law here were you can have your gun at work now(in the car).

Better check again. The under 21 thing and carrying a boot knife will buy you some unwanted LE attention. And a Butterfly knife, same as a switch blade in most jurisduictions! The knife is a formidable weapon, but don't believe everything you read. The "Teuller Drill" is an interesting exercise, nothing scientific there. Way to many variables for my liking.  I carry a knife whenever I have my pants on. It's always a folder of some sort. I use it daily as a tool. If I had to use it to defend myself, it's there. It's just another tool in the box, I have far better ones for personal defense.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 10:37:44 AM »
Three blade stag handled Case in the pocket, leatherman on hip usually. Knife is tool for me, last defence otherwise. My question to all you knife fighters out there is, how in the heck are you gonna deploy your knife faster than a pistol. I understand defending yourself from an attack through deflecting blow etc. but deploying a butterfly is slower than fixed and fixed ain't no faster than a pistol at 3:30 in a good holster. I may well die from blood loss but it will be in a pile of spent brass with the slide locked back and an empty mag on the ground.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 10:45:23 AM »
Benchmade folder .
A knife has a hundred uses and I can't ever remember having to reload one .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »
the boot knife only 4'' long so it legal here in FL( i checked) i also have a butterfly knife and i carry a 3 1/2' steel folder outdoor life from when i was 13 to even now, they have done there job well. yeah i know gun is better then knife but i hear that withen 7 yards the knife will win. I don't like assisted opening knifes cause they seem like something they you would get locked up for. Oh yeah they just pass a law here were you can have your gun at work now(in the car).

Better check again. The under 21 thing and carrying a boot knife will buy you some unwanted LE attention. And a Butterfly knife, same as a switch blade in most jurisdictions! The knife is a formidable weapon, but don't believe everything you read. The "Teller Drill" is an interesting exercise, nothing scientific there. Way to many variables for my liking.  I carry a knife whenever I have my pants on. It's always a folder of some sort. I use it daily as a tool. If I had to use it to defend myself, it's there. It's just another tool in the box, I have far better ones for personal defense.
Savage

the law here says nothing about butterfly's but if a cop wants to bust you you will be busted(the law says it OK to carry paper spray here to but i know someone who was busted for carry it). the book knife i been asking  about that and i can carry and use it for hunting or fishing(tarpon springs police told me this and looked it up).
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »
Always have a 3" blade folder in my pocket. I have to force myself to remember to take it out of my pocket when I go to the airport or court house.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 08:14:40 AM »
a knife is just as much as a carry tool as a gun. And as for speed, i can get my outdoorlife pocket knife out and open way faster then i can draw my 380auto from a pocket or belt holster( i tested this out the other day on a human size target at 7 yards) is a knife better then a gun, NO, can it beat a gun on the draw, Yes it can at least 85-95% of the time(from my test but i been using this knife for years so i can get it out real fast) but it's a close range weapon so past 7 yards a gun will win ever time because at that range i found i could draw and fire at least 2 chest shots before i could cover that range with my knife(this was timed with a stopped watch). Should both be carry, Hell yeah, most cops carry a folder on them on and off duty. Also, look what happen in japan were a man killed 7 and wounded 18 with just a pocket knife.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 08:18:31 AM »
jamaldog87, you should find a better way to tote your 380 !

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2008, 05:26:25 AM »
whats is wrong with a pocket holster? i have a galco Pocket Protector holster and i use it for hunting(most times as a side arm). It's fast and it keeps my gun close at hand. Also i can wear what i want and still have my gun right there.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2008, 07:10:11 AM »
If you are deploying a knife faster than your pistol, that is what is wrong with your holster. That said, situational awareness is probably more valuable than pure hand speed for most folks in most self defence situations. A handgun in the pocket is better than in the safe. I'd bet that most offensive uses of a knife will be armed robbery, with some interaction with maggot, not raving lunatic running down the street slashing all in sight. In a "bad" neighborhood walking with hands in pockets would sure speed things up. In lunatic scenario better holster is better choice IMHO.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 11:52:01 AM »
If you are deploying a knife faster than your pistol, that is what is wrong with your holster. That said, situational awareness is probably more valuable than pure hand speed for most folks in most self defence situations. A handgun in the pocket is better than in the safe. I'd bet that most offensive uses of a knife will be armed robbery, with some interaction with maggot, not raving lunatic running down the street slashing all in sight. In a "bad" neighborhood walking with hands in pockets would sure speed things up. In lunatic scenario better holster is better choice IMHO.

it does come down to that. Like to today they were making a money pick up and the armed car man was not really there, i got within a few feet of him before he even saw me. my holster is slower then my knife speed yes but that just how it is,at close range a knife is faster. But having said that if i saw someone siding there hand in there pocket my hand would be on my gun already.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2008, 11:55:45 AM »
my carry knife is a "Kobun" made by cold steel.
And I can have it at the ready faster than any handgun I own.
I do not know about the seconds required but we used to call it the three step rule.
if your attacker is any closer than that when you realize the threat, you are going to most likely get cut. A determined attacker is hard to stop, be it with a knife or a gun.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline PaulS

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 01:15:52 AM »
In the city of Seattle, in WA. it is illegal to carry any knife with a fixed blade or any folding knife with an over-all length of 6 inches or more.
It is quite alright to carry a gun in plain view but not what the city calls "a dangerous knife". (the above description)
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 05:06:23 AM »
I was raised with a pocket knife in my "jeans", or I thought I wasn't properly "dressed" ;D. The one I now carry is a small 3 blade "Uncle Henry" Stockman. I've got a friend whose associate is a "knife fighting" expert who teaches the art to the "armed services" in D.C. I have watched my friend with his knife and am convinced that unless you know you are going to be attacked and are very fast getting to your pistol, a fast, determined, and skilled person with a knife is likely to kill you if he can get within 20 feet. I too have see the aftermath of a knife attack (person delivered to our hospital) and it is one "bloody mess". My friend gave me a 2 3/4" blade Beretta "clip" folder that I now carry, but I don't practise enough with it to even consider it the first "line of defense" (I have a "carry" my "heat" most times). Being aware of your "situation" and who you can trust,  should put you on "alert" when things are "amiss". The "handshake" came about as a friendly "jester" to show the one offering it did not have a weapon in that hand :). My first thought in a "bad" situation or area is who is on my "blind side", can I "extricate" myself from the situation (if someone is not with me and I have that option), getting to my pistol to prevent death or injury (mine or someone Else's), and my knife if all else fails. Those of you that are better trained with a knife, more agile, faster, and younger may have more options; my knives are just secondary tools for daily living.

Offline goldhound56

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 03:21:17 AM »
It depends on the day. But for the most part I have a Kershaw 1660 VIB in my pocket and a Case Cooperlock ( STAG ) in a sheath on my belt .

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008, 07:19:48 AM »
I don't carry one at all during work hours since our Sherrif forbade employees from carrying any weapon in the Court House.   ::)  Any other time I carry a little case pocket knife.

I've been looking for some time for a sheath knife to carry when in riding gear.  It would be laced, butt down, into the side of the vest.  There are plenty of appropriate knives out there but the problem is the sheath.  It must hold the blade securly as the knife hangs upside down, it must have provisions for lacing attachment, overall length must be short enough to carry comfortably under the arm, it must be extreamly strong so that shock (like accidently coming off a bike) doesn't drive the blade through the sheath, and it must be a color coordinated black!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 10:56:16 AM »
i saw one like that if i see it again i will get the maker and name or mod. #

Offline PaulS

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 11:45:25 AM »
I don't carry one at all during work hours since our Sherrif forbade employees from carrying any weapon in the Court House.   ::)  Any other time I carry a little case pocket knife.

I've been looking for some time for a sheath knife to carry when in riding gear.  It would be laced, butt down, into the side of the vest.  There are plenty of appropriate knives out there but the problem is the sheath.  It must hold the blade securly as the knife hangs upside down, it must have provisions for lacing attachment, overall length must be short enough to carry comfortably under the arm, it must be extreamly strong so that shock (like accidently coming off a bike) doesn't drive the blade through the sheath, and it must be a color coordinated black!   ;D

AtlLaw,
That kind of sheath could easily be made with a thumb release like a pistol holster. When you grab the handle your thumb would hit the snap and it would pull straight down out of the sheath. I could do that - if I found the time and had a replica of the knife.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline RonO777

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
    • Mr44Mag
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2008, 03:42:24 PM »
My knife goes in my pocket everytime I go out the door. But I don't carry it for defense I look at it as a necessary tool that I use all the time. I carried a S&W swat tac folder for years. Now I have a Buck/Strider folder.
Ron

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2008, 09:04:10 AM »
ATlLAW , check out some of the CRK knives they may work for ya if you want a 4-5 inch blade , still looking at shows for the one i saw that looked like a vertical shoulder holster , it was with a kabar size knife .

Offline Bob

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2008, 06:42:32 PM »
I carry a Buck 110 just about every day. If not a 110, then 112. I also carry a stockman, usually a Case medium in CV steel, and a Leatherman Supertool. Seems like a lot, but I find I use all of them.
Bob

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2008, 05:56:20 PM »
Well it finally happened to me!

Went to see a friend in the ICU Saturday night. We left the hospital and were turning onto the interstate. The roads were somewhat wet since Ike had just come through (Dallas). We came upon a car wreck that had just happened and there was a lady sitting halfway out of the car, (car was torn in half from hitting a tree) people were just starting to walk up and help. My wife runs a nursing home, so I suggested that she might be able to help. We stopped, she got out and I punched the OnStar emergency button. I was talking to OnStar and she came running back to the car.

"We need a knife! She's choking on her seat belt!"

I got out and headed over. One of the women helping was on the phone with 911 and the operator was telling her to cut the seat belt. A security guard from the hotel across the street pulled out some sort of leatherman/multi-tool and was fooling around with it. I pulled out my Spyderco Native and handed it to a guy who was trying to get the seatbelt loose. That knife slipped through the belt like butter and the lady was free.

First time I been around an accident like that. I always expected it to happen and I just happened to have had the right knife for the job. So, even if you don't carry one for self defense, maybe you should carry one to help somebody else.

I quit carrying my pocket flashlight about 3 months ago, I sure could have used it. I'm gonna start carrying it again.

Offline kertesz

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2008, 07:23:05 PM »
  7 ft in a knife is better.. i gotta disagree ..  the knock dn bullet is more sure and can t be parried by the hands..jmo
I have seen many chl holders that have a difficult time drawing and firing their weapons in under 3 seconds.  So I would think that it would depend entirely on what the particular variables were in each specific situation.  Sometimes the gun would win and sometimes the knife would win...that's why vigilance and practice are so important.