Author Topic: Im sorry this got out of hand....  (Read 1053 times)

Offline THE#1hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Im sorry this got out of hand....
« on: July 15, 2003, 06:23:21 AM »
I never meant (..222 for whitetails:lol:) to be funny. I also apologize for loosing my temper , and blowing up on AKA Craig for giving me advice, and just telling me what he thought was right and what was wrong, I apologize to anybody I offended, and I hope you accept my apology, but craig saying that i dont belong in the woods...is that really necessary  :? ...
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 02:36:02 PM »
Craig's a big boy and I'm sure he'll get over it if he hasn't already.  Why don't you try apologizing to the deer you tortured to death?  Oh yeah, that's right, the deer didn't have any choice in the matter and it doen't post to Graybeard Outdoors.  Listen, you seem like a good kid, but when there are firearms involved, saying you're sorry doesn't mean much.  You can't shoot something and then take it back.  Once you pull that trigger, that's all she wrote, and until you learn that, I agree with AKA Craig, you don't belong in the woods and what's more, you shouldn't have a firearm.  Nobody's on your case just to be mean.  We're telling you stuff that could make a huge difference in your life.  If you make one of these "hey I'm sorry" mistakes with a human being on the receiving end, you'll end up charged with manslaughter.  You can tell the judge "I'm sorry" ten thousand times, but you'll never put a bullet back where it came from.

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 03:21:08 PM »
OK fellows I think and believe that enough of one on one jabs have been taken and some had some merit but its time we moved on and drop it or I will have to clear these posts I believe we have all learned a good lesson and there WONT be anymore one on ones posted here,  JIM

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 04:50:47 PM »
There is a learning curve in everything. Sad but true there are many mistakes made from ignorance either because of a lack of guidance or just not knowing. Later in life as we mature as hunters we look back on things and have great regret. I know very few people who haven’t lost an animal due to various reasons. It’s just part of the game. I made a good shot on a hog once and we never found him. This is the first animal I’ve lost bigger than a squirrel. It still bothers me to this day. Even my hunting partner said it was in the sweet spot.

In these forums there are those of us with tons of experience then there are those of us with very little or no experience. We are all here for sharing, learning and even a little bragging.

You will find there are different types of hunters. There are those that are truly ethical and skilled and there are those that aren’t so ethical. Personally I don’t consider the unethical ones as hunters. The best we can do after we make a bad choice or a mistake is to learn from it bare the humility and make ourselves a better product of sportsman through this experience.

Now due to the internet there is a wealth of knowledge at our finger tips though in time you will soon see there are a lot of people that try to give advice when they should really be the ones sitting back and taking a few notes. We have to take the good with the bad. Find someone that is really good and that doesn’t blow smoke up your skirt and let them help you to filter the good from the bad.

The biggest problem I see with people and their responsibility to game is that they don’t shoot enough. I know way too many people that shoot their gun just before deer season to make sure their scope is still on and then call it good and the wonder why they have a hard time putting game down. One should practice shooting in various types of field positions. Strictly shooting off the bench is nice for trigger control, shooting fundamentals and printing nice small groups proving that your gun is accurate but it doesn’t quiet cut the mustard for practical hunting purposes.

Set your gun down in a safe place jog a little bit to get your heart rate up then shoot standing freehanded at a 50 yard target and see how well you do. We always try to have a good steady prop when shooting at game but one isn’t always available. I cannot count the number of deer I’ve killed while walking to my stand. Being competent free handed is a must in my book. Shooting freehanded often will also define your limitations for you. If one cannot shoot well freehanded while no pressure is on the chances of making an ethical humane shot is very slim.

One very important element of hunting is knowing our limitations and with out trigger time we will never find them.

These are just some thoughts and ramblings.
Good luck and be safe.

Scott

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 05:08:33 PM »
Scott:  Vary good post alot can be taken from posts like that, thanks I like it. :D   JIM

Offline les hemby

• Contributor
The #1 Hunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 05:28:19 PM »
Man i would say it is time to lighten up, there is not much that can be said that hasnt. No sence in just keeping on beating him up. If he dont know by now it was a mistake. Jees he made a mistake i dont think there is anyone on this forum that hasnt made a mistake they regret. #1 hunter do all you can to keep in woods as much as you can for you now have the 270. 222 is to small for deer but i think there has been a few lost to bigger calibers. Personally i dont think i can say no one is good enough to hunt :roll:  :roll:

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 09:33:06 PM »
Ok #1 Hunter, I'm sorry about the sarcastic tone I took with you.  As the other guys said, we all make mistakes.   I certainly do.  I've lost birds and poked around in the brush for hours trying to find 'em, but of course when they're wounded they hide really well. I'm not proud of woundings and I never sleep well when it happens. But it does indeed happen. I wish you luck with the new .270--you'll find it a great deer cartridge.  I don't shoot one myself (I have a small collection of Marlin lever guns), but I have buddies who absolutely swear by them.  I learn something every time I go into the woods, and I hope I NEVER think I know it all, that would ruin the fun.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 12:38:45 AM »
I think The#1Hunter belongs in the woods because he obviously has a likin for the woods and hunting. So what, he made a mistake. Let those who have never made a mistake in the woods cast all the stones !

How many of us shot at birds with our bb guns as kids in the woods to watch them fall from the a branch and sputtered around for an hour or so while they suffered ?

Making mistakes is all part of life, not just hunting in the woods. If this young guy used a firearm that was inadequte for the intended quarry, its more likly that we(and I mean all of us hunters including those that taught him first hand) failed in proper teaching him the do's and don'ts.

The#1Hunter, Simply learn from any mistakes and move on. Its good to ask lots of questions and even better when you get good answers.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 07:24:45 AM »
Why are you guys ragging on me...This post was awhile ago, and.............all of you got me so mad right now, I cant answer, I cant even think straight :x I apoligized to craig because I said some stuff I diddnt mean, I dont know what else to do...I thought this site was for help?(thank-you, to you guys who gave it to me :D)
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 11:25:55 AM »
It is for the purpose of giving and receiving help and sharing stories. It is NOT for name calling or personal attacks and that phase is OVER on this subject. Comprende hombres?

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!