Author Topic: Thinking about selling my casting stuff  (Read 830 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Thinking about selling my casting stuff
« on: July 21, 2003, 10:40:28 AM »
I'm trying to get an idea of what the market value is for my casting stuff. It's about three years old and in very good condition. I just don't have the time for it and I'm fortunate to live in an area where cast and swaged bullets are relatively cheap.  What do you think would be a fair price for it, assuming that I'd prefer to sell it all in a single transaction?

Here's a list of most of it:
Lee 20 pound Pro bottom pour pot
RCBS lube sizer with 45ACP, 38 special, and 44 magnum punches
RCBS 2-bullet 44 magnum Keith bullet mould
RCBS 2-bullet 44 magnum 240 grain gas check bullets
RCBS 200 grain SWC 45ACP mould (2-bullet)
RCBS 38 special 148 grain Wad Cutter mould (2-bullet)
RCBS mould handle
Ladel
Marvelux Flux, one container
Approximately one pound of beeswax
Box of 44magnum caliber gas checks
Ingot mould for 1 pound ingots
5 pounds of 50/50 solder
Lyman cast bullet book
Home-made soft moly lube for sizer, about a pound
A few metal pans to hold newly cast bullets

This equipment has been used to make about 2,000 bullets. The pot has discoloration and other reasonable cosmetic wear from use, but is functionally as good as new. This does not mean it is as good as a RCBS or Lyman furnace, it just means that it's no better or worse than a new Lee pot.  

The ladel has an encrustation of what is probably tin and dross on it, but it works fine.  

This would be a good rig for somebody getting into casting. Everything needed to cast bullets is there except some lead,  a fan, leather gloves, heavy pants and boots, and eye protection.
Safety first

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 11:19:23 AM »
Bad move Rudy!

Used casting equipment just doesn't bring enough of it's original cost to justify selling it. I did once and sure regretted the decision when it was time to buy it all again. Even if you aren't using it now just put it away until you do have time to use it. Sure don't cost nothing to feed it when it is in storage and it will be there for you when you once again want to use it.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 01:37:06 PM »
id agree with graybeard. You may regret it. The best youll probably do is 200-250 you might be better off to split it up and sell it on ebay.
blue lives matter

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 03:19:54 PM »
Going rate for used casting stuff is half to 2/3 of replacement from Midway or MidSouth or Cabelas. To get even that, you'll have to piece it out.

I agree with the rest of the fellows. Sit on it. It's already depreciated all it's going to and from here on it goes up in value. If you need it again. you'll kick yourself for having sold it.

If you are bound and determined to unload it, you best bet might to be to spread the word locally through your gun club newsletter, shooting range bulletin board, or whatever that you are looking to swap your casting setup for a decent gun. Someone with a flaming itch to cast and a gun that he's tired of or that he swapped his way into for very little cash will likely bite.

I've always done better on swaps than on cash deals and the funny thing is that they folks I have swapped with have generally thought they came out ahead too.

I'm gonna say this for you, Questor, what you have put together is about a perfect starter setup and as salable an outfit as I have ever run into. You don't have a dog in the bunch and you have all the common stuff covered except maybe for a 9mm mould that will double for .38s
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 05:14:30 PM »
hey man ,don't sell it! My casting stuff was in my base ment for several years and cost me half what it would now.IF you could find the molds I have. I put the molds in plastic bags to keep them from rusting.Now that I am retired(retarded ,as the wife says) I got the stuff out and cast a few 358315's & 318's for my whelen and 358 jdj. Saw a 3589(280gr 35) on e bay,100 bucks.  jh

Offline Questor

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 02:21:36 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I think I'll try selling it locally, or trading it. I can't see myself ever starting up again, and if I do, I'd want 4-bullet moulds and an RCBS furnace and a Star sizer, so the equipment I have now will not be used again by me even if I do start casting again.  The setup I've got would be fine for someone who casts relatively low volumes of bullets for, say, rifle shooting or for hunting, or BPCR. But for the volume handgun shooting I like to do, more production-oriented equipment is very desirable, and in my case, a prerequisite to casting again.

By selling it locally, I could also unload my lead supply.
Safety first

Offline kciH

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 11:24:18 PM »
Questor,
Where are you located?  I might be interested, send me a PM.

Thanks.

Offline Questor

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 07:25:49 AM »
kciH:

Thanks for your inquiry.  I'm near Minneapolis, MN.  I still haven't gotten too serious about selling it because I'm really busy right now.  I need to figure out an asking price, and make sure it all works OK and that there are no defects.  

Questor
Safety first

Offline kciH

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 08:09:33 AM »
Questor,
I'm from the Twin Cities and I get up there about every other month.  If you decide you want to sell, let me know and I'll have a look at the equipment when I'm in the area and we can talk prices.

Offline Jim L.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 07:58:30 PM »
Hi Rudy, if you decide to sell some of it and the other gentleman passes I would be interested in the 44 Keith blocks and handles. Thanks,
Jim

Offline Heath

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2003, 08:15:28 PM »
P.M. sent.
Heath