Author Topic: I think I'm hooked on this new tv show!!!!! The Alaska Experiment  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: I think I'm hooked on this new tv show!!!!! The Alaska Experiment
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 10:11:53 PM »
I've lived in Alaska for 38 years.  I live in North Pole, which is in the interior, the absolute coldest portion of the state.  I've seen the thermometer reading a flat minus 80.  I'm not a survival expert, but I do know there are things you don't do in the winter, when it is minus 35 or colder.  Like run or try to move fast, it will kill you, if you sweat the moisture will freeze against your skin and you will become hypothrmic.  You keep your mouth shut, or freeze your throat and lungs when you inhale.  Never pull your gloves or mittens off to better grip something.  Give large animals a wide berth, in fact stay far enough away they never know you are there if possible.  A stressed Moose will attack without any provocation, just to relieve frustration.  If you find a bear out in the winter, kill it!  Any bear that is out in the winter is either sick or injured, and looking for anything it can eat.  You are just another meal to them.  Wolves, same thing they are out hunting.  They never hole up for more than a few hours, they are always hungry during the winter, again you are just another meal to them.   

I've been stranded out with friends when we were caught by a blizzard, or our equipment broke down and left us with no way of getting back but walk.  I've been out alone when the truck got stuck in deep snow and I had to walk 8 to 9 miles to get back to the shop at minus 65.  I've built snow caves to stay in at night and spent a week in one once.  When out like that you take extra precautions not to fall down and get snow in your mittens, down your collar or in your face.  You stay dry at all cost.  Then you do what you have to do and go on.

There is lots of ways to build shelters.  Lots of ways to find food, and water.  Snow is not good for water, it takes too long to melt, uses too much energy to thaw, and our dry snow produces too little moisture for the effort.  Find Ice to melt, more liquid and the same amount of energy to thaw as snow.  Ice you can see it's purity, snow can hide fecal matter from birds or rodents, and you will never know it till too late.  Never, never, never drink water from a stream without boiling it first.  Beaver Fever can kill you.  If you fall through the ice, and shelter is not nearby, first strip then build a fire.  A naked man huddled over a small fire will be warmer than a man wearing wet clothes in front of a big fire at 30 below.

Attitude is a major factor.   When we were caught in Moose camp by a sudden heavy deep snow fall, the second day of September 1992 it was just an annoyance to me and my buddy.  During the night when my tent collapsed from the weight of the snow, I abandoned it and moved under a big spruce tree where it was dry, and the deep spruce needles gave me lots of insulation to spread my sleeping bag out on.  The rest of our party was to the point of panic.  Chuck and I broke camp the next morning, while everyone else stood around wringing their hands saying we were in real trouble.  We loaded up and got everyone on the tractor.  The snow was too deep for the rest of the equipment to move.  We picked up two fellows trying to walk out, both were hypothermic, one was delirious.  Both would have died if we had not come along.

Alaska is not the place for a novice.  The dangers are real and unforgiving.  Winter and summer have their own unique ways to kill someone that is not prepared.  I have my Leatherman, 10ft of parachute cord, and matches on me at all times 24-7.  Also knowing the area helps.  Last January I went in to the cabin with a friend.  When we got there someone had either taken or burned our split seasoned birch firewood.  I went out and cut some green stuff, but it did not burn well, or produce good heat.  The following morning I took a sled and went up river to a cut bank that had cut into a coal deposit.  I slid the sled up under the bank and using an ax I chipped off enough coal to fill the sled.  That coal kept us toasty warm for the next three days.

One other thing.  Watched a man kill himself one night.  He had hidden his bottle of booze outside to keep the wife from finding it.  The temp was around 65 below that night.  Since he and a few others living up the street was already drunk, my brother-in-law and I decided to walk them home.  As we passed his hidden bottle, he reached out and grabbed it.  Before we could stop him, he took several big gulps.  Now that Vodka in that bottle was 65 below.  It instantly froze his throat and stomach.  When he tried to cough he sucked some down his wind pipe.  He thrashed around and choked for about 30 seconds.  We picked him up and rushed him inside, but it was too late.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 04:37:57 AM »
Wow those were some great stories Sourdough. Thanks for sharing. The coldest weather I have ever seen was 22 below zero and that was without wind chill. I have to say I never want to be that cold again. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 08:53:10 AM »
I've lived in Alaska for 38 years.

You musta moved there around the one time I have been in Alaska.  The summer of '69 I was headed back to the playground of the orient and this time we went the Alaska/Japan route.  The plane started it's descent into Anchorage and coming down I looked at mile after mile of forest.  Finally, when the woods stopped, the runway started!  We were only there for a little while, but I was hooked!  It took an entire platoon of MP's to get me back on that plane!  ;D  Been dreaming about Alaska ever since.   Maybe in my next life...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »

You musta moved there around the one time I have been in Alaska.  The summer of '69 I was headed back to the playground of the orient and this time we went the Alaska/Japan route.  The plane started it's descent into Anchorage and coming down I looked at mile after mile of forest.  Finally, when the woods stopped, the runway started!  We were only there for a little while, but I was hooked!  It took an entire platoon of MP's to get me back on that plane!  ;D  Been dreaming about Alaska ever since.   Maybe in my next life...  :-\

Don't wanna sound preachy AtLaw but... ;D

I figure that this life (and the next one too - however that translates for you) is meant to be lived at full throttle as much as possible. Now, that don't necessarily mean crazy-like we did in our 20s or 30s  ::) and our throttles may not give us as much rpm as they used to, but man, go to Alaska sooner rather than later.

I grew up in Canuckistan, and always wanted to go the the Yukon, North West Territories and the wilds of the BC coast - did all that from '98 to '01 and don't regret a moment. I also always wanted to live in the desert, and finally did that too, by reconnecting and then marrying an old flame from the '70s. Wandered around NM, AZ, CO, TX for about 4 years - no regrets there either.

A childhood friend of mine just came back from an African hunt and sent me the pics... that was a lifelong dream for him, and he's even older (by one year) than me.

Remember John Wayne's line from Stagecoach "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."

I figger it doesn't just mean ya gotta do the tough, courageous, macho stuff - sometimes ya gotta scratch that itch, fill that emptiness, do something about that dream. (Said I didn't wanna sound preachy, then I go and get all weird about emptiness, dreams and such  :P oh well - I have confidence you will take it or leave it as you choose.)

Even now, though I'm starting to feel a mite more settled than I ever was (and on my third, and final wife) truth be told, I still got a bit of an itch for a taste of AK - meetcha there! ;)
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2008, 12:05:26 PM »
I couldn't agree more with Sourdough about Alaska and ill prepared sportsman.  The people at Icy Bay were attended by a registered guide with a .375 H&H out of camera sight for bear protection.  He lives on one of the nearby islands and related the entire scenario to me.  If it wasn't for the support, this would be a case of tragedy.  I've been in Alaska for over 39 years, from the Aleutian chain, to Southeast, to the Interior.  Alaska has 5 different climates with associated flora and fauna, each with its own type of survival techniques.  One cannot use lessons learned in one area of Alaska and expect it to be just as effective in another.  Each has its own unique challenges and survival techniques.  Learn the area before you go, find out all you can about the climate and weather, choose appropriate clothing for the area, and test techniques before needing them. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.