Author Topic: Scabies  (Read 627 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Scabies
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:20:41 AM »
Well I screwed up again.  Last week my partner and I caught two beaver.  One was not dead when we found it, so I grabbed it and killed it.  Was not thinking, did not put on the latex gloves before grabbing it, then throwing it into the boat.  That was last Thursday.  Tuesday noticed what I thought was mosquito bites on my hands, boy they itched.  This morning I got more.  Got to looking at them closer and realized they are SCABIES. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  Hope the wife and kid don't come down with them.

While they are at work today I have got to do all the laundry, and cleaning.Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I hate these little bugs.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Cowpox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Scabies
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 06:39:54 AM »
You have my sympathy Sourdough.  I drove a cattle truck for about 11 years in the 70s and 80s. Some years I would get the little devils two or three times. The treatment I got from the Doctors would clean them up after a few miserable days, and sleepless nights.  Finally, a rancher in Western North Dakota told me to forget the Doctors, and just paint each welt with fingernail polish. I just chuckled, but he assured me it was the quickest way to get relief. He said the scabies are under the skin, but put a little snorkel up through the skin for air. The fingernail polish cuts off the air, and they die in short order.
    Don't know about the air snorkel, but it sure tamed them down in a hurry !  That was all I ever used after that.  I used clear polish, to cut down on expaining all the red spots to people.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 06:45:13 AM »
same cure works for chiggers
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 07:42:02 AM »
Sorry I got your hopes up Sourdough. After reading rex666's post, I realized that Chiggers was what I was killing with the nail polish, not scabies. I have no idea if the polish will work on scabies or not, because after doing a Google on scabies, it sounds like they just tunnel around under the skin, and are hard to see. They sound like real bad actors, compared to chiggers, and I now understand your comments about vacuuming and cleaning.  Never had them, and after reading up on them, I hope I never do !!!!
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:03:05 AM »
If you are not concerned about smell Avon Skin-So-Soft works great to repeal most all bothersome bugs.  It works really great for mosquitoes, flies,  ticks, chiggers and fleas.  When I know I will be exposed to them I take a shower and apply a small amount all over my body, then towel off.  You may smell like a rose, but it keeps the bugs off and stays with you for a long time........It also works to prevent fire ants from biting.

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 08:04:46 AM »
They itch so bad because they're taking a crap in your skin  ;D
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:37:40 AM »
any way i could convince you to send some my ex's way? ;D

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 11:05:24 AM »
You probably already know this: I quoted this from Wikipedia after a Internet search. I would look into other solutions by google it seemed to have a bunch of info.

"The symptoms are caused by an allergic reaction that the body develops over time to the mites and their by-products under the skin, thus the 8 week "incubation" period. There are usually relatively few mites on a normal, healthy person — about 11 females in burrows. Scabies are microscopic although sometimes they are visible as a pinpoint of white. The females burrow into the skin and lay eggs there. Males roam on top of the skin, although they can and do occasionally burrow. Both males and females surface at times, especially at night. They can be washed or scratched off (however scratching should be done with a washcloth to avoid cutting the skin as this can lead to infection), which, although not a cure, helps to keep the total population low. Also, humans create antibodies to the scabies mites which do kill some of them."
"
When a suspected burrow is found, diagnosis may be confirmed by microscopy of surface scrapings, which are placed on a slide in glycerol, mineral oil or immersion in oil and covered with a coverslip. Avoiding potassium hydroxide is necessary because it may dissolve fecal pellets. Positive diagnosis is made when the mite, ova, or fecal pellets are found."
"Options to combat itchiness include antihistamines such as cetirizine. Prescription: Doxepin (Sinequan - oral or Zonalon - topical) or Hydroxine."
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 03:28:04 PM »
Went into Basset Army Medical Center, got the shampoo to wash with that kills them.  Doctor confirmed it is scabies.  She reminded me it will be 10 to 14 days before the blisters go away. 

Usually the beavers are dead when we get there, and the cold water kills the mites.  They can only live for 3 hours off the body, or after the animal dies and cools off.  The one we caught had managed to pull the trap loose from the drowning set and had gotten out on dry ground and get the chain stuck on a stump.  When we approached it the chain pulled loose and the Beaver took off toward the brush.  I ran up and grabbed it by the tail, holding it till my partner could hit it in the head killing it.  Then we picked it up and carried it back to the boat.  That is how I got infected.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »
dude, my sympathies.
We got a Australian Shepherd/Corgi (high strung dog, by the way) from some people before we moved down here 2 months ago.  Dog starts smelling and losing its fur.  Vet says "scartopic mange" which is scabies in humans.  We were cleaning everything as we have 2 year old and 6 year old.  Vet and pediatrician said to wash after playing with dog and that controlled most....

I did read about putting your pillows in the clothes dryer for 20 minutes to kill all mites, dust mites, scabies mites, whatever.  Going to see if we have less sinus problems in the morning now.

Not to say that you are going to loose your fur.