Author Topic: What time of year should you plant a food plot?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
What time of year should you plant a food plot?
« on: April 09, 2008, 04:30:27 AM »
Last year I dumped some stump-licker out behind my parents house just for giggles and they have been seeing seer ever since.  This is in an area where you're lucky to see one out there a year.  I would like to put in a little bit of a food plot for them but I don't know anything about it. 

Don't get all excited as I'm not going to be buying farm equipment I just want to get a bag or two of the stuff you just throw around and it starts to grow wherever. 

I just need to know the right time of year to be throwing all the seed around.  I'm just taking of the approach of if it works great, but if not it's not the end of my world.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: What time of year should you plant a food plot?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:03:49 AM »
There are a lot of different products out there.  The planting season should be noted on the bag.  Go ahead and prepare your site and lime it if necessary.

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 03:42:50 PM »
 Like it has already been stated, check the bag for the planting season, I usually plant regular garden products getting the seeds after the spring garden rush, the feed stores dont want any left overs and sell out their left overs to get ready with fresh seeds, I also plant both in the spring and late summer or early Fall so the deer and other game have nutrition most of the year.HTH  JIM

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:46:19 PM »
Anytime and right now in particular is the right time.  Look for the "No Till" type of seeds.  Check the GBO forum "Wildlife and Land Management Issues" for more info.

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 03:14:06 PM »
Usally any time except the middle of the hot dry summer months and the cold deep snow winter months.

;D Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com

Offline james25889

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »
i plant mine first or second week in september