Author Topic: Site with links to dozens of rare artillery books online  (Read 380 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Site with links to dozens of rare artillery books online
« on: May 28, 2008, 04:54:32 AM »
Many of the better titles are in French or other languages, but some of those have hundreds of drawings, worth a look even if you can't read much of the text.  The list has military books, many not about artillery, so you have to look to pick out the artillery titles.

Some really good ones are under "Regulations/Manuals..." about halfway down.

The 3 volumes by Napoleon are full of plates.  Dahlgren's "Boat Armament..." is a classic, in English yet.  The book by DuTeil is a classic.

http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/bibliographic/internetbooks/c_internetbooks1.html

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Site with links to dozens of rare artillery books online
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:10:44 AM »
     Thank you once again, John.  Another excellent treasure trove of artillery books.  By now we have purchased 8 or 9 from your various lists and have always been pleased with the quality and variety contained therein.  We noticed that many of these are available at a very modest cost, being reprints or original books of just fair condition.  Lately Mike and I both have enjoyed reading one of your recent recommendations, Arming the Fleet by Spencer Tucker.  Yes, I must admit, it was I who snagged the lower cost one of the 6 available.  When it comes to good artillery books, you must "strike while the iron is hot".  Thank you very, very much for continuing to share these important resources with us!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline shooter2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • To err is Human, to ARR is Pirate.
Re: Site with links to dozens of rare artillery books online
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 12:56:10 AM »
Excellent, I would also like to thank cannonmn for his contributions to expanding our libraries.  I also jumped on Arming the Fleet a while back via Abebooks and got a great copy fairly cheaply.  I find there is no such thing as too much information.

Shooter 2
We are the Guns and your masters!
Saw ye our flashes?
Heard ye the scream of our shells in the night, and the shuddering crashes?

'The Voice of the Guns'
Captain Gilbert Frankau Royal Artillery 1916