Author Topic: going to alabama- going to carry in car  (Read 636 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
going to alabama- going to carry in car
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:01:22 PM »
I am planning on having a pistol in the car with me on our summer vacation.  Going from Texas, through Louisiana, Mississippi, and to Alabama (probably Florida too).

From what I can read on the internet then I cannot open carry anywhere except in Mississippi.  I plan on having the pistol in a rug with the magazine in a carry bag, so that really isn't a problem. 

Does anyone have advice about carrying across 4 states?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: going to alabama- going to carry in car
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:34:40 AM »
When I am hunting and travailing with my hunting handguns, I put my guns in a case and lock them up. I put the ammo in a separate bag. If you get stopped by the police, let them know you have a firearm in the vehicle and tell them it is in a locked case and the ammo is in a separate area.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:57:13 AM »
Do you have a CC permit?  If so that should help.  I am from Alabama, and when I get my permit renewed, they give me a paper telling what states reciprocate.  Neighboring states to Alabama reciprocate.  A lot of western states will also.  Check and see.  You can still get stopped by an officer ignorant of the laws so still do what Redhawk says to be safe. 

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:28:09 AM »
In the early 80"s i was living in El Paso, Tx. one day just for grins i ask a state trooper if it
was ok to carry an unloaded pistol in the car, with the mag close by, he shocked me by saying
why not have it loaded, he went on to say that all the state troopers he knew would rather
all clean upstanding citizens have a gun in the car, seems that on several occasions some of these
citizens have stopped and pulled their guns to aid troopers. He said anytime you get stopped tell
the officer you have a loaded weapon in the car and where, i have done this and never had
a problem UNTIL CC came along, now TX has gone back to the old ways of doing things.
If you are traveling you can have weapon in the car. Funny how things change.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline jimster

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:23:57 PM »
I'm going across 3 states in about a month, and even though I have information on which States honor my Michigan CCW, I'm going to contact the Attorney General of each State before I leave, and ask them as many questions as I can think of, and get as much info as I can, in writing if that is possible.  I plan on following the laws of my own CCW, and theirs, and if I get stopped, I will tell the officer right off I have a CCW, and ask him/her how they would like me to proceed...just like I do in my own State.  It's best to get all the info you can from the States your going through, and if you get stopped in a city by city officers who may or may not know the laws, it would sure help to have something from their Attorney General to help smooth things over.  They would at least see you made a good attempt to travel through their State legally.

Have a safe trip!

Jim

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:19:28 PM »
Going through those states won't be as bad as others, esp. Peoples Rep. of Northeast.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 07:42:50 PM »
Hah, I told my wife that Quick would refer the NRA-ILA website.

I looked at that one and opencarry.org. 

I was just wondering what others do to carry in strange places.  My father in law has a CCW from Arkansas and those states reciprocate.  I have a very low expectation for trouble.  Just like to have a gun or two around.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 08:10:30 AM »
I carried in my vehicle for well over fifty years and never had a problem anyplace but Illinois.  Course, I never traveled through Kalifornia, or many of the north eastern states.  It was always my opinion that it is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six..............

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 06:04:42 PM »
bluebayou, hope you and your family have a great vacation, here in Mississippi we have a law that says your vehicle is a extension of your home, so a firearm in your car or truck is legal, i don't know about someone passing trough from a different state, but do not get on the Natchez Trace Parkway with a gun, it is a federal parkway and state laws do not apply when you on the parkway, other than that you should be ok while passing trough Mississippi, you should stay a few days here we have alot to do here in the state.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 06:38:39 PM »
carrying an unloaded gun is just weight training, there is nothing as useless as a unloaded gun unless it is a liberal politician.I carry my gun loaded, cocked and locked. I see no reason to tell anyone that i have a pistol unless they ask and they have a right to know.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten