Author Topic: Best treestand?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline RTBRICK

• Trade Count: (0)
Best treestand?
« on: June 27, 2006, 12:16:24 PM »
In preparation for the upcoming season, I've been eyeing treestands.  I hunted on the ground last year and felt as if I may have had better luck with a stand.  With so many models to choose from, I thought I would ask for some expert opinions.  What treestands do you like or dislike?  I see models from about $89 for a Guide Gear brand up to $300 for a Summit or API.  They all look about the same, so I'm not sure which to choose or which ones may be more comfortable, sturdy, safe, etc.  All input is much appreciated.

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Best treestand?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 04:30:00 PM »
The Tree Saddle by Trophy Line.  I like the mesh Ambush Saddle.  They run about $180.  That coupled with some Rapid Rails By Ameristep (about $100) will allow you to hunt from any tree anywhere.  Takes about ten minutes to get set up.  Well worth it considering you only have to buy one stand, no one will know where you're hunting (much less hunt out of your stand), it's not going to "walk away," and you have 360 degree manuverability.  

Check them out with a google search and see what you think.  This will be my fourth year using one.  I started with the original model and now switched to the Ambush.  It is lighter and takes up little room in a pack.
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Best treestand?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 05:29:46 PM »
There is no such thing as a "best" of anything and treestands are the same. It's really what's right for you. The tree saddle just mentioned might be right for him but for most would be about the worst. Decide what you want in one and why. Don't assume that just because you climb a tree your chances are better. Unless you do the proper scouting and find the spot a deer will appear they might be worse. You're stuck in that one place and unless a deer you want to shoot comes by you won't even see one. So scouting and planning your stand location are very important.

The things to consider in a tree stand are:

1. Ease of carry.
2. Ease of putting it on a tree and climbing
3. Quietness
4. Comfort
5. Safety

You will find that what's comfortable for some might be torture for you. I'm aware of many that fit that description for me. Maybe you want a climbing stand or maybe you want a loc-on type. They are vastly different and you need to decide which is right for you.

Some folks seem to care nothing of how easily a stand carries thru the woods. To me this is highly important. How far you might carry it will decide how important it is to you.

Some stands are so complicated to put together and get up a tree it blows my mind anyone would even consider them yet some do. Others make the climbing of a tree a near impossibility and a true danger to your health yet folks buy and use them. Some are just plain dangerous to be in regardless.

Tell us more about how you'll use it and maybe we can make better suggestions. Just listening to what someone thinks is best for them or is their favorite and going to buy it based on that is sure to get you a stand you're unhappy with.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline RTBRICK

Best treestand?
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 02:12:53 PM »
A climber is the chosen type as I do not want to leave a stand in place or have to spend and inordinate amount of time on setup.  Carrying ability is moderately important, but where I usually hunt I don't have a terribly long walk to get to most any spot.  Quality is an area where I am unsure.  As mentioned in my first post, I see a Guide Gear brand for $89.  Kinda looks like the Summit brand of stands.  I don't know if it is simply a copy, a similar design or a Summit product rebranded.  While the price is attractive, I don't want to end up with a junk piece so should I just spend the extra money on a brand name stand? I dunno.  Ease of use is a major concern for me as well.  Too many moving parts or a complicated setup will just be irritaing at 0500 on hunting day.  A comfortable seat is just as important, but I don't know if one seating system is any better than another (most climbers are sling-type seats).  A foot rest and a shooting bar are nice and I don't want to face the tree.  I know there are lots of choices in a stand and I have narrowed down most of them to my preferences.  I figure many of the hunters on the forum have been through a few stands and would have some good opinoins/info.

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
Best treestand?
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 04:31:56 PM »
Gunslinger!!! :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Best treestand?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 04:58:32 PM »
Gunslinger!!!

Not real sure I've ever heard of that one. How about a link so we can look at it.

The Tree Lounge is one mighty comfortable stand, almost too much so. I missed a few deer while napping in mine. BTW a perfectly safe thing to do in the Tree Lounge. They are a bit bulky and heavy to carry but that doesn't seem a big issue for you. For me they were easy to set up and quick too. Climbing was no problem and they are maybe the safest of them. In my opinion not the best for shooting from but then some seem to think they are.

Summit is a first class stand and if it fits your needs you can't go wrong with them. I'd shy away from a "look alike" at that price. The one thing you need to ALWAYS keep foremost in your mind is SAFETY. Do you want to be hanging up there in that tree 20' or so up and have it come down real sudden like? Not recommended for long life and good health. So think safety first.

In that regard I'd avoid stuff from Warren and Sweat like the plague especially their Executive. I bought one and realized when I got it just how dangerous it is. I called them and told them to either replace it with a safer one or expect a class action lawsuit. They shipped a replacement right away and paid for it's return. Someone needs to sue them anyway just to get that hazard off the market.

I've long used and recommended Amacker brand stands, they are solid and safe. I like them. Loc-On was a good brand but they went out of business and while the name is again being used it's really NOT the same. I had a Loc-On Contender that used the Amacker Adjuster patten and it was a nice stand. I gave up going up trees and a member on here talked me into selling it to him. He and his son use them and wanted it for a back up for the day when one of theirs wore out.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline OSPD312

Re: Best treestand?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 07:29:53 AM »
I agree with you 100% about the Warren Sweat...I almost met my maker due to the Trophy Light Climber...It pinched on the tree and left my hanging in the tree 25 feet up hanging by my forearms. Luckily I was able to hug the tree and lower myself down.

Jack
IF YOUR GONNA BE DUMB, YOU GOTTA BE TOUGH

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 03:56:36 AM »
The best deer stand I have is the one my father in law (X shop teacher) welded for me.  Well actually he welded it for his grand daughter but as she is away at college I get to use it.  It is all one piece with a swiveling seat and a generous shooting rail.  I can go to sleep (and have) and not worry about falling out of it.  On the down side it is not exactly light and is ten feet tall so is not something you want to carry a couple miles back in the woods (but have).  Another option is the ‘buddies’ stand that Wal-Mart sells for about $100.  Not quite as good as my other stand but breaks down and is more portable.  It has lots of room and a fold down shooting rail.
RJ

Offline rihmfire

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 06:38:59 AM »
I LOVE MY SUMMIT VIPER STAND. IT IS VERY COMFORTABLE...
TAKE NAPS IN THE WOODS DURING HUNTING SEASON ALL THE TIME ...
THE BEST PART ABOUT IT IS THERES NO BOLTS , WING NUTS OR
PINS TO MESS WITH.. JUST SLIDE THE CABLE IN AND YOUR LOCKED IN..
LADDER STANDS ,,,WELL TAKE YOUR PICK...JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE
ARM RESTS AND A SHOOTING RAIL...AND A PLACE TO REST YOUR FEET
AND A GOOD, QUIET COMFORTABLE SEAT.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 01:12:33 AM »
Another vote for the Summit Viper. Easiest and most comfortable stand I've ever used. It's kind of like strapping a Laz-E-Boy in a tree. ;D

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 04:02:11 PM »
Another Summit Viper fan here. I absolutely love mine. Not bad to carry in and a breeze to set up. Quiet too. All day comfortable. And their new climbing stirrups eliminate bending over to fasten straps across your boots. Just put your boots into the stirrups and up yo go.

If you are looking for a climber cant go wrong with a Summit
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline huntmdown

• Huntmdown
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 09:41:18 AM »
I'm a Summit Viper fan and Lone Wolf ;D!
my sweeter insanity... www.huntmdown.com

Offline RTBRICK

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 04:01:07 PM »
Ended up with the Viper SS.  Looks like it should be a winner!

Offline rihmfire

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 02:33:57 AM »
I am going to take the ole viper out this weekend...for the second
bow hunting trip to our hunt club this year...Last time all i saw were 3 bears..
momma and two cubs....we have a lot of bears in florida...they
breed like rabbits around here..Buddy of mine shot 2  8 pts already
and missed a chance at a ten...and on public land!!!
Good hunting guys and if you are lucky post a pic or two!
Ronnie

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 01:22:07 AM »
I,m on my 3rd summit ,for my money they are hard to beat.
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.