Author Topic: 38-55 shooters and BBase cast bullets?  (Read 392 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
38-55 shooters and BBase cast bullets?
« on: June 05, 2008, 04:09:10 AM »
I wonder any one here try shooting the 245 grain RNFPBB cast bullet in there buffalo classic
I talk with a small caster out of tennessee that will soft cast the above bullet to a BHN of 12
I read a few reports that some cast shooters state the bevel base bullet did not group well.
I am going to try my hand this winter in casting for the 38-55 I am going to purcase the LEE MOULD in 250 grain FP
I have a buudie that does cast pistol bullets and said he would lend a hand in teaching me he also has tons of wheel weights
I will be busy this winter in North Carolina.
I called Lee and ask what the bullet will drop out of the mould .001 give or take, mould states .379 but will like .380

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 38-55 shooters and BBase cast bullets?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:09:58 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 05:59:22 AM »
Tim: thank you for the reply I did have some one mention it but did not have the details
I see now how it done (SUPER THREAD)
I sent the 30-06 off on Monday for the 7MM-08 barrel also added a note if they could be so kind to improve on the trigger will see how it works out.now the waite begins
I was just thinking  I do have some aluminum tape at the house in North carolina I had to do some duck work last year
Rick

Offline towpro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:20:25 AM »
Rick, why wait until next winter?  Smelting wheel weights into usable lead is a job best done outside.  I also cast in my Garage (workshop) and I find it's best if I can open all the doors just to let a cross breeze in (just to be safe). 

Go over to Castboolits (Tim gave you URL) and look around at the different sections.  You can earn everything you need to know over there!  Once you shoot your first "own cast" your hooked  ;D  and it's not really that expensive to get started

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 06:45:43 AM »
My winters are in north carolina and my buddy lives next door to me who cast pistol bullets.I talk with him the other day and he said no problem
I think too start the lee mould should see how things work and won't break the bank