Author Topic: Going back to reloading, want some recommendations  (Read 578 times)

Offline mgeorge

• Trade Count: (0)
Going back to reloading, want some recommendations
« on: June 02, 2008, 05:52:08 AM »
I haven't been handloading since the early 90's.  I reloaded for pistols back then, but now I'm buying a .243Win and I need to get dies and a good reloading manual.  I already have a Rock-Chucker and powder measure, but that's about it.

Could many of you who handload please reply to this with your suggestions for reloading manuals and loading dies?  Do I want a 2 or 3 die set?  Which are the best for the money nowadays?

Thanks!

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
Re: Going back to reloading, want some recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 06:27:33 AM »
IMHO you cannot have to many reloading manuals.I would go for the Lee, Speer and Hodgdon for manuals and I use Lee dies almost exclusively.I have both two and three dies sets  and I find the two die sets work fine for me. hth   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:14:30 AM »
Mgeorge - I'm glad you're back in the "game"; we need more participants! Canon6 has suggested the least expensive way to go on dies, for Lee has equipment for every need that does a good job in producing quality ammo IMO. (Everyone has their favorite product and they are all good.) Buy a 3 die set for straight cases and 2 die set for "bottleneck" cases. You'll probably fine Lee's "Factory Crimper" a worthwhile addition if you load for guns with "tubular" magazines.  I like Lee's #2 reloading manual and Hornady's for a variety of powders (many that has come on the scene in recent years) and both have a  pretty good selection of bullets. You can usually pick-up some free brochures from Hodgdon, Winchester, and Dupont (all powders now distributed by Hodgdon) from a dealer. The new Lyman #48 manual is also a great book that will give you pressure data as well as the last word in cast bullet data. Good luck.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 07:32:57 AM »
All of Hodgdon, IMR and WW data is available online or you can download their Reloading Manual, just mouse over DATA and take your pick. http://hodgdon.com/

http://hodgdon.com/PDF/Hodgdon%20Basic%20Manual.pdf

Same for Accurate Arms, Aliant,Vihtavouri and Norma as well as several bullets mfrs, links can be found in the FAQs and Help sticky.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.msg503733.html#msg503733

I would also recommend spending some time reading the Handloading Forum stickys.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php#6

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 08:17:29 AM »
I haven't perused them, but it seems to me if you are pretty sure you are going to be a one caliber loader the one caliber manuals would be a good way to go.

Ditto on Lee dies. They are hard to beat for the price, and you would probably have to be a bench rest shooter to notice any difference in the quality of ammo they make vs. ammo made with dies costing much more.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 08:24:01 AM »
I buy loading manuals from the bullet companies that I use. I am a big fan of the Hornady SX bullet for my smaller varmint calibers so the Hornady manual is a must FOR ME.
Hornady is offering 100 free bullets with the purchase of a set of dies.  I have never used Lee dies, I have great luck with Hornady and Redding. It seems I rarely hear of complaints on dies leaving me with the thought that most companies make a good product.

Offline NAM70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
Here's a 3 die set that i would go for. It has both the FL and neck sizing dies. Dave
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690610

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:32:33 PM »
I've got Lee, RCBS and Hornady dies and like and use all.  One thing I like about the Hornady dies is the guide that helps keep the bullet straight as it goes into the body of the die.  Lets you get your fingers out of there before gettin' pinched. :-[   Have several of the one caliber manuals and they are good for that, but save the $ and get some others as they all have alot more than just how much powder with this bullet.  Really like the Hodgdon annual manual as well since they have IMR, Winchester and Hodgdon all in there.   I agree with getting at least the manual for the bullet you settle on.    DP.
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »
I have more dies than I would like to admit. In some cases multiple sets for the same caliber.
It is rare to have a die set that will not load pretty good ammo. That said I use RCBS, Redding, Lee, Forster the most. I also have Lyman, Bair, Eagle, Herters, CH, and Pacific. Just get a two die set from one of the first group. A good used set should work fine.
Speer, Lyman and Hornady manuals are all good. Get one of each. You are loading a fairly popular cartridge so it should be easy to find good dies and components.
Why do I have multiple sets of dies. When you try several versions of the same thing you will often find differences you don't expect.
I find that Lee dies have close to the same internal dimensions as some of the more expensive brands. However I don't like some of Lee's other features such as their boxes and lock rings, and decapper.