Author Topic: Nikon or Bushnell  (Read 602 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Nikon or Bushnell
« on: June 05, 2008, 08:48:57 AM »
Which would you prefer in a similar magnification range - the Elite 4200 or the Monarch?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Nikon or Bushnell
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:04:26 AM »
I'd take the Bushnell Elite 4200 I have several of them and no Nikon scopes. In fact I've never owned a Nikon but have looked thru several belonging to others and was not impressed with theirs which is really why I've never spent my personal money on one.

Most of my scopes are either Bushnell or Leupold brand. I'd really have to do a count to see which I have the most of but I have a bunch of both. I have some Mueller scopes as well altho not nearly as many as the other two brands. I like what Mueller offers as far as their clarity and brightness but as I've mentioned to Rich a few times what he offers isn't generally what I use in scopes. I have no personal need for lighted reticles altho the type he offers is the best of the lighted reticles I think with the tiny dot in the middle it's just that the feature adds both bulk and weight that I personally don't need. I stop well before dark and seem to get out a bit later these days than I once did so low light really isn't that much of an issue to me. Really it never was even when I sat under the stars both morning and night as the quality scopes I used seemed fine for my hunting even then.

Mueller's APV 4.5-14 is a really nice scope without the lighted reticle to add weight and bulk and for a person who needs that power range it is a winner for sure. For me that's mostly varmint scope and for that it works great but these days a lot of folks seem to want that power range on their hunting rifles for big game. If you're one of those take a look at it. I'd really like to see Mueller offer a compact 2-7 or a regular size 3-9 or both without the lighted feature. Now those would be my kinda scopes as that really is what most of my hunting rifles wear is a Bushnell or Leupold in that power range.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 04:52:24 PM »
Thanks for your response.  All my scopes are Leupold (maaybe 10-12) for no particular reason.  Never given another manufacturer a try.  Had a Weaver decades ago, and liked it.  Nest Weaver was a variable and it turned the opposit direction.  Bought a few rifles with other scopes already mounted but sold the scopes before hunting season.  Been reading some comments about Nikon and Bushnell scopes.  Thinking of trying a Bushnell 4200.  Got two old Leupolds from the 70's that do not have clicks, but friction adjustments.  Attempted to use both of them recently and they refuse to budge, then shifted about 8 inches.  A scope that won't budge is a good thing, but one that can't be corrected is a bigger problem.  Need some more scopes.

My newer Leupolds will correct, if necessary but the earliest ones are a problem. 

Anybody need two 3X9s.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 05:35:58 PM »
Those Leupold scopes have a life time warranty. Send them back and they will repair or replace them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!