Author Topic: New Ruger GP100 VS Used S&W 686 -Advice Requested  (Read 1283 times)

Offline munch

• Trade Count: (0)
New Ruger GP100 VS Used S&W 686 -Advice Requested
« on: August 03, 2003, 07:39:16 PM »
I'll be buying one of these guns in a 4 inch, stainless, 6-shootin, 357 magnums at the end of the month. The used S&W is said to be in "excellent condition" and is "lightly used". I've heard good comments about both guns -maybe slightly more flattering comments about the S&W's trigger. Either gun will set me back around $425-$450 when all is said and done.

Is one more accurate, more reliable?, better service department?

What would you recommend, the New Ruger GP100 or the Used S&W 686?

All advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks -Munch!

Offline jhm

New Ruger GP100 VS Used S&W 686 -Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 03:32:46 AM »
Munch:  Since it is a used S&W I would go for it instead of the gp-`100 myself, however I believe a used 686 can be gotten for less money than what you are showing book value in 95% is $225 and in real good shape you could expect to pay a little more, and of course the gp-100 retails new for about $425 and depending on the dealer I would think he should be able to come off that price a little, :D   JIM

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 04:01:57 AM »
I'll go with Jim. If he can't come down on price on the S&W I'd buy the Ruger. I like the 686 over the GP100 and mostly due to the trigger. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline munch

more info on S&W
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 04:34:40 AM »
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies.
The S&W is actually selling for about $350. I'm just including all the extra fees ($25 shipping, 7% tax, 3% credit card fee, plus what ever my local dealer is going to tack on to order it). It's a VERY rough estimate (hopefully high). Any ideas on what most gun stores charge to order?
Your advice is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks -Munch!

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 05:11:30 AM »
Munch:  That is something you should discuss with the dealer in your area its hard to put a % over cost for another man to order something,example if someone came into my business when I was in business and said he was quoted particular price (low) by someone else I would just let him buy it there, with that said you should be able to work something out between 12 and 15 % above the dealers cost to get into the door and to insure customer would take said special order it was paid in full in advance. :D   JIM

Offline farmplinker

Re: more info on S&W
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 05:49:31 AM »
Quote from: munch
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies.
The S&W is actually selling for about $350. I'm just including all the extra fees ($25 shipping, 7% tax, 3% credit card fee, plus what ever my local dealer is going to tack on to order it). It's a VERY rough estimate (hopefully high). Any ideas on what most gun stores charge to order?
Your advice is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks -Munch!

I'm not sure what you mean by "order". Are you thinking about buying a gun from an online auction or a store from another state? If so, your local store will simply act as an FFL transfer agent and charge a fee to do so. They will not be acting as a retailer who buys a gun and resells it to a customer.

If you are buying from someone out of state and having it shipped to your local FFL dealer for the transfer, you don't owe any sales tax in your state and your local dealer should not charge you any, as he is not selling you the gun, but simply handling the requirement that the transfer be conducted by a licensed gun dealer. My local stores charge between $15 and $25 to transfer guns shipped into them. So if I was buying a $350 handgun, my total cost would be about $405 ($350 + 3% credit card + $25 shipping + $20 transfer fee).

If you are having your local gun store order a gun for you from one of their standard distributors, then they are buying the gun wholesale and reselling it to you retail. For new Ruger handguns, I usually pay about 70 to 75 percent of MSRP (plus sales tax and background check) at my local stores.

Offline Curdean

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 05:49:39 AM »
Munch,

Have you looked in the new CDNN catalog?  They have a S&W model 66 stainless w/ adjustable sights and 6" bbl. It also comes with a redfield mount and rings for 349.99$  I don't know the difference between the two, but I believe the 66 to be a new weapon.  
As far as cost of the transfer, the gunsmith I deal with charges 10$ for it, CDNN does not charge a credit card fee, and the shipping I paid was around 12$ for a lone eagle pistol.

Offline jhm

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 11:42:49 AM »
Curdean:  The model 66 is the older smith it is the stainless version of the model 19, the 686 is a newer stainless smith 357, the 66 has a thiner barrel as well and would be a little lighter. :D   JIM

Offline joey garza

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 06:05:08 PM »
I've had both ,the ruger locks in front and back and seems to be a more rugged design.
The smith locks only in the rear and has a much nicer trigger.
I sold the ruger.

Offline PaleRider

Ruger vs S&W
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2003, 03:51:21 AM »
I have had both and I sold the Ruger, for some reason I just prefer S&W revolvers over anyone else's. I have a 586 in .357 mag that is my "first grab" home defense gun and I would never part with that pistol. I know Rugers have a good reputation but the triggers in Smiths feel better. I also think you could find a better deal by shopping around at local gun dealers. I have seen several used S&W 's either 586 or 686's in the low $300 range recently ( I have no problem buying used handguns, but that may just be me) and I am sure that you can find similar deals at local gunshops, look around and build a relationship with a gunseller, you will eventually need service anyway so why not buy from the guy who will fix it?

my .02 worth

Skip Robinson
Charlotte NC

Offline les hemby

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2003, 09:43:31 AM »
my 686 was 300 slightly used. it is a no sale,and also my go to gun. as far as used, hey i would rather buy used. let someone else take depriciation(forgive spelling). as long as it locks up and acts right it dont hurt to have a few boxes through it :D just my :money:

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2003, 01:34:41 PM »
I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag and a 686 Smith in 357.  

The Ruger SRH is a tank and will last a long time.  The trigger was not great but an inexpensive spring kit form Wolff was the easy answer to this problem.

The Smith 686 is a beauty and my favorite revolver to shoot.  It has a great trigger from the get go.  I have shot a 66 and prefere the 686, personal preference.  

Another consideration is the future value of the gun.  I feel (perhaps I am incorrect) that the Smith will be worth more in the future than I paid for it.  I do not believe the Ruger will do this.  

Good luck,

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Josey

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 07:43:45 PM »
Hey  IMHO,  if you buy the Ruger GP-100, you will have to spend more money on it.  The S&W 686 is a good weapon.  I would look to  www.kyimport.com and see about their stock of S&W trade-ins.
si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Majic

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2003, 06:02:57 PM »
The Ruger is the stronger of the 2 revolvers, the Smith is the more refined. The Smith has a great single action trigger, but the double action trigger will benefit from a spring kit and polishing. The Ruger trigger will clean up as nicely as a Smith with a good action job also.
As far as future investments, they should be running about the same considering the Ruger starts out cheaper than the Smith and resales with a similar profit margin.
Both are fine revolvers and only you can decide which is best for you. Go handle both and make a decision.