Author Topic: video "Shooting the Afghan Field Gun"  (Read 453 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
video "Shooting the Afghan Field Gun"
« on: June 15, 2008, 12:17:36 PM »
[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rb_XySj8YwI&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rb_XySj8YwI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: video "Shooting the Afghan Field Gun"
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 12:44:47 PM »
Neat video. How much powder were you using? I've never seen a projo with projections like the one in the video, before? Neat!!!!!!!  Thank you for sharing.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »
I think they were using 6.1 oz. of powder.   Projectiles were a bit over 4 lbs.  That system was used pretty much worldwide during 1860's until at least 1880's.  When the gun tube was steel, they used two rings of 3 studs each.  When the tube was bronze, they used two rings of six studs each to double the bearing surface and reduce the wear on the softer bronze.  That was called the Beulieu system and I think was invented in France.  A lot of older bronze smoothbores were converted to the Beulieu system by cutting six deep grooves in the bore.  When the Spaniards did this conversion, they also massively enlarged the trunnions and rimbases.  I'm not sure how they did it, but the huge new trunnions and rimbases look like they were cast on over the old ones, is that possible?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 01:27:57 PM »
I'm not sure how they did it, but the huge new trunnions and rimbases look like they were cast on over the old ones, is that possible?

It would be possible but very difficult to get the new metal to bond with the old.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:02:24 PM »
it aint easy , but not that difficult either .

first you clean it carefuly , then preheat it with coal .

peee on it or use some other accid based liquid , put on an thin layer with tin on the area where you want the metal to bond together .

this will absolutely not be as strong as if you cast it in one piece , but of course it will ad a lot of strength to it .

today you would probably use a little different heating method of course , but basicaly its the same .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry