Author Topic: skunk in the yard, welcome to country  (Read 568 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
skunk in the yard, welcome to country
« on: June 14, 2008, 08:30:42 PM »
Came home the other day with the wife and kids, broad daylight, call it 3:00 pm.  There is a skunk the size of our dog in the front yard.  Guessing 30 pounds, but hey, skunks are fluffy so I might be wrong. 

Its in the front yard so I just stand there like an idiot debating whether to shoot it, call PD to see if they have an Animal Control guy, or "live and let live".

Candy ass..........should have just shot the thing.........now after being in Alabama for 8 days, the utility room and carport smell of skunk.  That thing is probably under the house.

My first instinct was shoot, shovel, shut up.........should have listened. 

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: skunk in the yard, welcome to country
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 01:58:46 AM »
You actually called the cops over a skunk?  You are new to the country aren't you.  Do that around here and they would accuse you of being under the influence of something or other illegal.  Man up, shoot the thing and cart it off down wind.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 02:12:18 AM »
If you can shoot it with a 22 solid side to side thru the lungs they will often not spray.  I have shot many that I've caught in traps that way w/o them spraying.  If they don't have a target, they usually don't unload.
A live trap works good. If they can't lift their tail, they can't spray. Throw a blanket or tarp over the live trap, take them to the woods and put the trap so's it's pointing toward some brush or woods and open the door. Standing behind it of course and keep it covered except for the door.  The skunk will head for the brush and you can shoot it or let it go.
Often, if you call the game folks, they will loan you a live trap.
Nothing like the scent of Pepy to open up those sinuses in the morning. :D

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 03:15:06 AM »
The broad daylight skunks can be bad news because they are normally nocturnal and could possibly be in the early stages of rabies.
I have shot a couple/three through the head with the .22 over the years and all just dropped in their tracks.

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 03:44:43 AM »
Oh, yes they certainly can let loose the stink with their tails down. Pardon me, but I was not noticing anything about "spray" at the moment. Had something else to pay attention to at the moment.

Maybe they don't want to do it because they'll get it on themselves and have to put up with the stink, but they can if they think they have to, or if they are scared or angry enough.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 05:40:14 AM »
If you can shoot it with a 22 solid side to side thru the lungs they will often not spray.  I have shot many that I've caught in traps that way w/o them spraying.  If they don't have a target, they usually don't unload.
A live trap works good. If they can't lift their tail, they can't spray. Throw a blanket or tarp over the live trap, take them to the woods and put the trap so's it's pointing toward some brush or woods and open the door. Standing behind it of course and keep it covered except for the door.  The skunk will head for the brush and you can shoot it or let it go.
Often, if you call the game folks, they will loan you a live trap.
Nothing like the scent of Pepy to open up those sinuses in the morning. :D

It was pretty pungent last night.  Going to "man up" and go under the house looking for it in a few minutes.  The smell is gone now, so it must have been right around the utility room last night.  I don't think that it sprayed as much as we scared it off from where ever it was holed up while we were on vacation.  The crawlspace access has extruded wire mesh over it, but it is loose.  Going to look for it and then put talc or something down to see if it tracks through tonight (assuming that I don't find it).

We are in the city limits here, but you would not know it.  People are shooting critters every week here. 

I loaded the 22's mag and put it in the utility room with the rifle unloaded (got little kids).  Will be ready for its next visit.  The first timet that I saw it, it was in my yard but in front of the neighbor's house, not a good backstop.

Found old burrow in barn, no tracks.  Someone at work said to toss mothballs down it. 

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 05:43:50 AM »
The broad daylight skunks can be bad news because they are normally nocturnal and could possibly be in the early stages of rabies.
I have shot a couple/three through the head with the .22 over the years and all just dropped in their tracks.

See I thought that this was a little odd too.  I don't know a lot about skunks but I have never seen one before dusk.  Saw it twice that day.  Going to work in the morning it was running through the grass by the tracks in the UP's right of way.  Then coming home from getting son at school it was in the yard foraging. 

Offline jhm

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 05:47:39 AM »
I believe they are amune to the odor its kinda like someone with bad BO it doesnt seem to bother them but is hell on everyone else around them.   JIM

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 06:22:31 AM »
No problem with daytime polecats this time of year as spring and early summer they're out all hours looking for mates.  I prefer head shots myself.  Regardless of how you kill them as long as it is instantaneous they usually won't stink you up for at least a few minutes.  This usually allows ample time to cart off the carcass to a safe distance.  I guess if you're within city limits and not actually in the country you could just set him out for the trash man.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 07:52:06 AM »
 I've hauled 'em off in 5 different states in live traps and have yet to have the first one spray if they can't lift their tail.  Point to be made is the scent glands or ejectors for spraying (there are two of them) are located on either side of the anus and the tail has to be lifted for them to protrude so they can spray.  When they are really serious, they will often curl their tails along their backs and stand on their front feet. 
I use mothballs to keep cats and deer out of my flower beds so maybe that will work for skunks. 

Offline crustaceous

• Contributor
  • back for a limited engagement
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 10:56:57 AM »
For what it's worth, here's my two scents: ::)
1. Do not use a shotgun. My buddy decided that a twelve gauge was the weapon of choice for eliminating the family of skunks that lived under his house.  He got them but also had to live at his parents house for month while the house aired out. 
2. We've got skunks that stay under our back porch and barn for short periods during the summer. They apparently have some arrangement worked out with our dog and cats because other than detecting a minimal spray smell occasionally everyons seems to get along. Until someone comes in smelling like they took a direct hit I'm gong the live and let live route.  If I had some more time on my hands I 'd even try to tame them!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »
If and when the day comes that either of the two dogs is dumb enough to get him/herself sprayed, there will be two dead animals. >:(
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 12:48:30 PM »

Skunk in the Yard Get wife to hose him down with water hose,
 thence shoot him with shot gun. He will not spray with water pouring down on him.
 Been there done that !!!

Marv.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 05:20:33 PM »
I guess if you're within city limits and not actually in the country you could just set him out for the trash man.

:o ;D :o ;D ;D ;D