Author Topic: Got a Cannon Want to Shoot it?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline The Friar

• Trade Count: (0)
Got a Cannon Want to Shoot it?
« on: May 31, 2008, 07:24:01 AM »
Ola

I recently obtained a DIKA, Spain 45. black powder cannon for my sail boat. 

I need to know what i need to fire it?  Rods, wads, powder, fuses, cleaning the works.

and of course where i could get the stuff too??

help?

also loading procedures too??

the Friar

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Got a Cannon Want to Shoot it?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 02:54:29 PM »
First thing tell us more about you gun.  Caliber, style etc.  Post a picture if you can.  When you post a picture make sure you have some thing in the picture to give the gun scale.  The board tradition is a powder can, but anything like a can of pop or bottle of milk , anything to give it scale will work.

For  accessories check here  first: Where to find Blackpowder Cannons and shooting supplies  You will find it stuck to the top of the forum for easy access.  The first post in that thread is the list of our sponsors.  I suggest you contact each of them and see what they may be able to supply you.

The Second  post in that thread is a list of cannon and cannon accessory suppliers found on the net.  You may find some dead links on that list, if you do just drop me a PM and I wiil check it out.

You may also find that several suppliers on the internet are not listed.  There are two reasons for this. One they may be new to the net and I just don't have them on the list yet. 

Or even more important I have removed them from the list.  If you find such a case, I suggest you do a search of this forum to see if there is a previous discussion on the company.  If you find a caompany that has been subject of prior discussion on the board and not on the Cannon list, I strongly urge you, before you place an order that you read every single post on this board about them.

So that should help you get started, welcome to the board, you will enjoy yourself here...oh yes one last warning, we have a couple of pirates here on the board, so load with grape and prepare to repel boarders. :)

Offline The Friar

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »
She is a 45. cal By DIKA Spanish cast.

here are some pics

recommend?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »
Where are you?  It helps to give suggestions of where to get stuff like powder.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 01:22:14 PM »
I believe the Dika is the same gun as the old CVA naval kit. If so, these were very popular in their day and a few members either currently own one or have at some point.

I had one many years ago, wish I still had it.

Offline The Friar

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 07:52:29 AM »
Im south Texas

gona contact some gun shops in Brownsville Texas for powder and a grain measure.

I order some fuse and will start at 17 grain and work up to a 60 grain salute(that nfo was recamended by one of the fourm venders)

any other info would be great... loading unloading care maintanace

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 12:29:07 PM »
I would say that 30 - 35 grains would do it , you aint getting any bigger bang because of more powder .
its an nice gun , having any web address for that company ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:33:56 PM »
I had to go way back to find the thread about this cannon.
Here's the link to it. It currently is on page 57.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=76233.0
Near the bottom of the page is the loading data for a patched ball, 10 grain start and 30 grains max for a patched .440 ball. It doesn't show the grain size but for that small of a bore I'm sure it's 3F.
Up higher 60 grains is mentioned for blanks but I'd be real careful working up to that load.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:43:37 AM »
For a .440  Rifle or pistol where your body controls recoil FFFg would be fine.  In a cannon, that is free recoiling you want a little less energy to slow things down.  Use FFg or even Fg.  You might also wany to find some way to reduce the recoil of the gun as it will be a secondary projectile as you move into the heavier loads with a projectile.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 07:04:28 AM »
For many of us that was our first cannon.

In mine I shoot a blank load of a 45 ACP case full of 3F and about a half sheet of toliet paper on top. Without the paper wad they just go puff instead of BOOM.