Author Topic: Kristol: Bush might attack Iran if he thinks Obama will win  (Read 1020 times)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)

Kristol: Bush might attack Iran if he thinks Obama will win

Andrew McLemore
Raw Story
Monday, June 23, 2008

President Bush is more likely to attack Iran if he thinks Senator Barack Obama may be elected, Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol told FOX News Sunday morning.

Kristol added that if Senator John McCain was going to win the presidency, Bush would “think it more appropriate” to let him deal with the issue.

Senators McCain and Obama have often sparred about whether military force or diplomacy should be the primary way of dealing with Iran, according to an article by the Los Angeles Times.

(Article continues below)

McCain has criticized Obama for his willingness to meet with Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, but a Gallup poll shows 59 percent of Americans support a meeting with the leader, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Bush said that McCain is “not going to change when it comes to taking on the enemy” when he declared his support for the candidate at a White House press conference in March.

WALLACE: So, you’re suggesting that he might in fact, if Obama’s going to win the election, either before or after the election, launch a military strike?

KRISTOL: I don’t know. I mean, I think he would worry about it. On the other hand, you can’t — it’s hard to make foreign policy based on guesses of election results. I think Israel is worried though. I mean, what is, what signal goes to Ahmadinejad if Obama wins on a platform of unconditional negotiations and with an obvious reluctance to even talk about using military force.

Offline beemanbeme

Re: Kristol: Bush might attack Iran if he thinks Obama will win
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 01:38:13 PM »
If McCain wins the election, I hope his acceptance speech is "sic 'em, boys"!!  And he starts by drafting all the whining talking heads from the media.  Then he takes the cameras away from the "frontline corrospondents" and gives them rifles.
I'm sick of this organic fertilizer.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 02:01:10 PM »
What BS this is to get Obama elected.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 06:27:10 PM »
I've always wondered how those american camermen get those shots of gunmen attacking U.S. forces. seems a bit like treason to me.at the very least it should be a capitol crime
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Dee

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 12:45:26 AM »
It's news to watch Americans be shot or shot at. Can't miss getting the new.  :( While fox news is touting the IMPROVEMENT in Iraq, it is the deadliest year for American soldiers since the beginning. 900 + :'(
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 02:49:48 AM »
some of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.....
             you need to share the dope you are smoking.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 04:12:29 AM »
I think you can talk to Iran till you are blue in the face it has been tried by others, that little
rat thinks he can do as he pleases and will as long as he is allowed to. I hope boma goes
there to talk then maybe they will keep him.
Heard this mourning that the Muslims are upset with boma for his treatment of them, looks
like he is trying to convince the sheep he is separating his self from them. I think the incidence
with the two women was a put up.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline magooch

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 04:46:12 AM »
I wish President Bush would bomb Iran right off the face of the earth and maybe a couple more of its neighbors for good measure, but he won't.  What he has done and will continue to do is keep McGore and Obamanation apprised of what is going on, so that which either one who we unfortunately get saddled with, won't be walking in blind.

Oh, and if Fox is such a dangerous propaganda tool, what the heck is MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, PBS, Air America, and even C-span at times.  And I don't even know where to begin when it comes to the printed media.  Yes I do--The New York Times, L.A. Times, News Week....
Swingem

Offline Sitting Duck

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 08:08:53 AM »
I think we should leave Iran alone.  Let them pursue nuclear weapons if they wish, with a few words of warning.  If you are successful we will eliminate the weapons.  No warning, no UN, no threats, no debates!  Just one big bang and your weapons are history.

I want them to spend billions on research and production.  Once they are on the verge of success, bang!  Of course we will have to have their program/nukes verified by a PTO, PTA, NRA, TWA, or BSA organization before we strike.  Otherwise, we might find out that they never had the capability in the first place.     

We spend way too much time playing games across the pond instead of taking care of business at home.  IMO.

One warning and if you don't comply, see ya!

Offline Dee

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 11:33:24 AM »
I think we should leave Iran alone.  Let them pursue nuclear weapons if they wish, with a few words of warning.  If you are successful we will eliminate the weapons.  No warning, no UN, no threats, no debates!  Just one big bang and your weapons are history.

I want them to spend billions on research and production.  Once they are on the verge of success, bang!  Of course we will have to have their program/nukes verified by a PTO, PTA, NRA, TWA, or BSA organization before we strike.  Otherwise, we might find out that they never had the capability in the first place.     

We spend way too much time playing games across the pond instead of taking care of business at home.  IMO.

One warning and if you don't comply, see ya!

I pretty much agree here with your view, with the exception, that I believe Israel has a better handle on what Iran is doing than we do. Get out of the way and let them handle it. They will too.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 11:50:28 AM »
One of the main reasons that speculators have driven the price of oil through the roof is because they're betting that Iran will be attacked.

Israel rattled it's sabre at Iran again a couple of weeks ago and the price of oil went up $11 a barrel in one day,.. a new record.

If such an attack happens,.. you're going to need to be in good enough physical condition to ride a bicycle. Fuel costs will be out of reach,.. along with about everything that's transported with fuel burning vehicles,.. and that's pretty much everything.

Good read.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/oil-up-almost-11-mark/story.aspx?guid=%7BB3A39E99-D68C-4872-AD8F-752CF3735888%7D

Risk of Israeli attack on Iran, dollar weakness lift crude prices by almost $11

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Oil prices shot higher by almost $11 a barrel on Friday, scoring their biggest one-day gain in dollar terms as talk about a potential Israeli attack on Iran combined with a slide in the U.S. dollar to send prices to their highest levels on record.

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 12:00:35 PM »
"Oh, and if Fox is such a dangerous propaganda tool, what the heck is MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, PBS, Air America, and even C-span at times.  And I don't even know where to begin when it comes to the printed media.  Yes I do--The New York Times, L.A. Times, News Week...."

Right on.  I don't think I could improve on this.

I think we ought to just forget about Iran and mind our own business.  Let him develop all the nukes he wants.  He's a decent fellow, I don't think he intends any harm. 

******** Except for that litte wipe Israel off the face of the earth thing ********  >:(
" we are screwed "

Offline Sitting Duck

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 12:29:34 PM »
Dee:  Good point about letting Irsael take the lead on this.  I'm sure their intelligence gathering capabilities are far superior to ours, being Iran is in their backyard.

Fazak:  If we're going to run scared every time that someone mentions a scenario that might impact the price of oil, we've already lost the battle.  Just goes to show that we should have done something about our dependence back in the mid-seventies.  Instead of sitting on our hands. 

JMO.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »

Fazak:  If we're going to run scared every time that someone mentions a scenario that might impact the price of oil, we've already lost the battle. 

America is 9.4 trillion dollars in debt.

Oil is $136 a barrel.

The boomer generation is hitting  social security/medicaid/medicare to such an extent that it will cost the government 57 trillion dollars over the next 20 years. (an impossible amount to come up with)

David Walker, the Comptroller General (which is the nations chief accountant) threw up his hands and quit in March after 14 years on the job because of how dismal the economic situation in America has become.

The value of real estate is plummeting to such an extent that people are walking away from their homes rather than continue to pay for property that's now worth a fraction of what they paid for it,... and banks are failing as a result.

America is fighting 2 "no win" insurgencies at the same time at a cost of 12 billion dollars a month,.. all of which is being paid for with debt.

The dollar has sunk to the lowest level against foreign currencies that it's seen in over 3 decades and will undoubtedly go even lower as a result of the rapidly increasing national debt.

Yes,.. it's very possible that we've already "lost the battle". Any escalation of the conflict in the Middle East will virtually guarentee it

Offline Sitting Duck

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 03:17:38 PM »
Fazak:  I can't disagree with your concerns in your last post but have to wonder about the following, "The value of real estate is plummeting to such an extent that people are walking away from their homes rather than continue to pay for property that's now worth a fraction of what they paid for it,... and banks are failing as a result."  So people are walking away from a contract because of devalued real estate?  Allowing this would be akin to letting people walk away from a car payment and contract just because it starts depreciating the moment they drive it off the lot.   

If this is the mindset of the American people then our national debt will pale in comparison to the repercussions of a dishonorable people.

TM7:  So you would have Israel share their nukes with Iran and their ilk?  At least Israel has had enough sense not to use them to date.  I don't think Iran, based on their posturing, would have the same restraint.  I, personally, wish the damn things had never been created but we live in a nuclear age and restricting who has them and who doesn't has basically fallen on the shoulders of the United States.  Like it or not. 

Your observations of Fox News .... Well nothing I write will change your mind so keep on believing what you will.  I watch all different types of new channels/talk shows and feel the bulk of what is reported is 90% entertainment, 5% truth, and 5% expert B.S..  Everything that you read or hear must be taken with a grain of salt.  Including posts on this forum.    ::) 

Offline Dee

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 03:52:11 PM »
Well Mr. Duck. Once again I agree completely as long as your INCLUDING FOX in you analogy. It is all propaganda in an entertainment type form. To hear what you want to hear, simply change the channel.
The resentment concerning the US regulating whom owns the nukes, is caused by the fact (right or wrong) the US is the only country to have ever actually USED a nuke.
Other countries see us as hypocritical because of this fact. That's why I think we would be better served to let the middle east take care of most of it's OWN problems. Israel is more than capable of handling Iran, if Condi will shut up.

Offline jimster

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 04:24:32 PM »
I think Israel will take care of Iran as well, because they will have to, especially if we butt out.  They will do what they have to do to survive. As far as WHO can have nukes, and who can't...from the beigining of time, in every country, it seems there is some who decide that bad people can't have weapons, but good people can...it's a rule we all have lived by, and it boils down to any weapons.  In the US...the good people can have handguns, criminals can't, someone decided that....in other countries it's the same deal, except the good guys are only the police and military, but it's the same concept.  Bad guys can't have the bad weapons....don't know if it's right, or what, but it's a long standing rule it seems for everyone.  Don't know if that will ever go away, but I do like the idea Sitting Duck has....go aead and do what you want Iran....but careful where you point them....or we turn the sand to glass....anyone else want to play?
Would eliminate any guessing, and get rid of a bad bunch in a hurry with no messing around.  Israel could handle that from where they are better than us. 

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 03:12:22 AM »
i wonder exactly what it is that the jewish people have done to make you hate them so much. there is no doubt that your elevator stopped going to the top floor a long time ago.   
    your views and would be policies amount to nothing more than suicide for the united states.   if you hate it so much, get out.   no one is forcing you to stay here.  i am sure your beloved muslims have a place of honor for you.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 04:27:11 AM »
yup... all of that.   keep on spewing.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 05:01:38 PM »
I guess I would not miss anything if Iran was erased from the map. Actually I think the world would be a better place.

Myronman our resident anti semite sure gets a little touchy when you call him out. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed his rabid hatred of jews.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 06:11:39 PM »
If the U.S. drops the leash on Israel .The whole thing will be over before it gets on cnn.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten