Author Topic: Deer Hunting Tips?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline HuntNut01

• Trade Count: (0)
Deer Hunting Tips?
« on: May 29, 2008, 07:51:03 AM »
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if any of you guys know of any good sites for videos such as hunting tips and the like.
I'm looking for videos similar to this one; myoutdoortv has a ton of good videos.
http://www.myoutdoortv.com/pdk/web/showroomplayer.html?autoPlay=true&videoURL=pp8VGSk6Q_bVtKYkCehvX9-pEW6EL-CA
Feel free to post up your favorite tips videos, maybe we can build a good list for users looking for tips.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: Deer Hunting Tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:01:49 AM »
Hummm, learn how to hunt deer by watching videos... or "the Daniel Boone guide to deer hunting for couch potatoes."   ::)

From what I've seen of them on TV it's not exactly "rocket science explained by rocket scientists!"  More like how to climb at tree and get you to pay me to watch me do it!

My tip is, do it the old fashioned way; spend the time you waste watching videos in the woods!  Go to where you will be hunting and walk around (If you haven't got a place to hunt the subject is kinda moot).  Bring a .22 and plink if you want, but mostly look, listen, think.  Do a little "neighborhood improvement" around your stand.  Stuff like that.   Lotsa fun actually...  'Sides, there be more deer then cock-a-roaches nowadays.  Mostly you got to shoot 'em to keep from gettin run over.  :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 02:55:21 PM »
99.9% (actually, scratch that, 100%) of deer hunting videos I've ever seen have been pure, unadulterated bull.  Bunch of guys driving around hawking their products while they hunt pre-scouted deer on carefully managed private property.  The hunting you see in hunting videos has no bearing on reality.

My tip is, do it the old fashioned way; spend the time you waste watching videos in the woods!  Go to where you will be hunting and walk around (If you haven't got a place to hunt the subject is kinda moot).  Bring a .22 and plink if you want, but mostly look, listen, think.  Do a little "neighborhood improvement" around your stand.  Stuff like that.   Lotsa fun actually...  'Sides, there be more deer then cock-a-roaches nowadays.  Mostly you got to shoot 'em to keep from gettin run over.  :D

AtLaw has just given you more and better advice than you'll ever find in any hunting video.  Go to the place where you will be hunting, find a quiet spot, and just sit. 

Watch where and when the deer come out.  Next time you go out, try and find where they came from, and what path they used to get there.  They're creatures of habit.

Once you've got that figured out, try and find out where they were before that.  Once you get that figured out, start picking a place to ambush them.

Deer are simple animals.  Their lives revolve around eating, drinking, sleeping, and at times on fighting and mating.  They spend 100% of their lives engaged in, or traveling to, one of these activities.

It's not rocket science, and you don't need thousands of dollars worth of guns, clothing, and equipment.  Camo is no substitute for stillness.  An expensive rifle is no substitute for practice.  Scent "elimination" products are no substitute for playing the wind.  You can hire an outfitter to do your scouting for you, but that costs money and takes away one of the most satisfying parts of the hunt.

The only way to really learn is to put boots on the ground.  There will never be a substitute for experience.  The only way to get experience is to go out and DO IT!  Watching hunting videos is entertaining, but hardly educational.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 05:11:48 PM »
I watch the shows on TV where their are two guys on the ground (and the cameraman makes three) and deer come right by them in bow range.  That has to lower the odds.

Then when they shoot a beautiful deer with a rifle, the deer always runs away.  They rarely have a Bang Flop.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »
Forget what these guys are saying!
 I have some special formula, Nappy-headed Deer Ho Musk that you rub on your boot soles (or souls) and the bucks will follow you thru the woods and UP THE TREE.  For a limited time only (namely until I run out or am caught up with), I will send you a un-retouched picture of a world famous hunter (I can't reveal his name over the internet) in a tree stand with four 8 point bucks up there with him and a 8 oz bottle of Nappy-headed Deer Ho Musk ABSOLUTELY FEE. Just pay for the shipping and handling and it is yours FREE. This stuff is amazing. 

Have your credit card ready and call BR549.  REMEMBER, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FREE!!

s&d$847.00 non ref

:D

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 07:09:06 PM »
Huntnut01

I hope you didn't mind me having a pull at your leg with the post above.
 There are some books that are interesting to read but I don't know how truly helpful they can be as they have to be written in such a generic manner.
Atlaw does have the best and most pleasant solution.  Take a birding book or a plant book or a "poke and hope" camera and spend a day afield.  After a while, you'll begin to see a pattern to things.  The more time you can spend in the woods, the luckier you will be.  Too, a day in the woods is pretty darn neat in and of itself.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 09:15:31 AM »
I thought he was talking about hunting tips, you know "tips", like Broadheads; Field Points; arrow tips....real nasty sounding ones like "Aftershock", "Grim Reaper" and "Crimson Talon"; or ethnic ones like "Wasp"; or gender specific like "Tight Point".  Oops there's that censor in me going off again.

I like kicking back and watching the other guy from time to time.  My favorite is the boy that fell asleep with his bow under a tree while his friends laughed their butts off in another tree watching little deer come in to lick the first guy's face.  Later, the first guy explained his "technique" worked "according to plan" and the deer were "just too little to shoot".  Haha.  That's good video there.  Comedy at its best.

Offline HuntNut01

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 05:47:27 AM »
Hahah thanks everyone.
I know there's no substitute for actually getting out there and hunting; it's the only way to get better.
I guess I was looking for more "tips", and not so much "how to hunt".
You know; cool bits of info than can enhance your hunting experience, such as tips on tracking deer, tips on where your best odds for tree-stand placement are, and stuff like that.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 07:28:17 AM »
Well, HuntNut, you get that information by spending time in the woods when you're not hunting.  Or early in the fall when you're squirrel hunting.  You don't have to have a gun in your hands to practice tracking a deer.  When you're squirrel hunting, if you find a stand of oaks where the squirrels are cutting acorns, you can be pretty sure the deer are in there helping them.  Look for their droppings. They're dark and kinda elongated. They'll be in a pile.  Not as big as the last digit of your little finger.  Sometimes if they've just changed feeds, they'll look kinda like a small cow flop.  A little later in the fall, the buck's antlers start to itch and they'll start rubbing them on trees.  At first it's because they itch but as the breeding season nears, it become a act of dominance and aggression in establishing a buck's territory. When you find a place with recent rubs and scrapes, you need to start looking for a place to hang you stand.
As a rule, if you find a wide, well define deer trail, it is a doe trail.  Except during the rut, bucks tend to stay solitary or in small groups with their own trails that are much smaller and less defined than the doe trails.
On tracking a wounded deer, I always have a quantity of toilet paper with me and when I am tracking a wounded deer, I will put a small piece of Tpaper on each spot of blood as I go along.  Then, If I lose the trail, I have something to check back to or if the deer goes across a wet spot, I can take a compass reading and use that to go across to pick up the trail on the other side.  After the first rain, the TP goes away.   
As you can see, there's enough stuff in just this short post for several books but you still have to spend the time in the woods.  I've been hunting a long time and there just ain't no magic short cuts that I've found.  :)

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 01:03:23 PM »
Hahah thanks everyone.
I know there's no substitute for actually getting out there and hunting; it's the only way to get better.
I guess I was looking for more "tips", and not so much "how to hunt".
You know; cool bits of info than can enhance your hunting experience, such as tips on tracking deer, tips on where your best odds for tree-stand placement are, and stuff like that.

There aren't really too many "tips" for those things.  Put your deer stand in a place where you have seen deer traveling during shooting light.  Make sure you can get to your stand without going through their bedding area if you're going in for an evening hunt, and a place where you can get in without going through their feeding area if you're going in before dawn.

Offline jhm

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 03:53:17 AM »
Several of the posters are having a little FUN with you but seriously all those videos are doing is taking your hard earned money putting it in their pockets so that they can afford to go on those hunts, it is pure marketing at its worst.   All it takes is a little common sense and of course a little bit of sweat equity you need to find out where the deer like to bed down go to dinner lunch and breakfast, until the RUT is on all the deer want to do is eat and relax, but when the RUT is on all rules are out the window, get a copy of the game and fish rules ask around for permission to hunt and obey any rules the owner of the land has set. its a relaxing, wear you out past time that you will LOVE and HATE all at the same time.   Good luck and remember what you learn afield will always be with you not the VIDEO.   JIM

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 03:02:50 PM »
hunting videos tend to be more about the kill than the hunt.  I agree that time in the woods is still the best way to gain not only knowledge, but valuable experience. That said,  there's nothing wrong with a little research either. Google up "deer hunting" on your computer.....or better yet, go to your public library and look under deer hunting, then pick one of the older books. It'll be pretty basic stuff, but it's a start.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"