Author Topic: What are folks thinking?  (Read 2399 times)

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: What are folks thinking?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 03:06:42 PM »
What type of ML is that you are shooting? I just don't see MOA at 400 yards as it is hard enough at 200-250.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline kevthebassman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 02:10:49 AM »
If you want to get technical, MOA changes with the yardage.  At 100 yards minute of angle means 1 inch.  At 50 yards, it's half an inch.  At 400 yards, 4 inches, and so on. 

If someone says they're getting 1 inch groups at 400 yards, they ought to go out and start competing for the big money.  (or quit lyin' to you)

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 07:26:46 AM »
What type of ML is that you are shooting? I just don't see MOA at 400 yards as it is hard enough at 200-250.

TC Omega (thumbhole laminate) with tactical scope (I dial for EXACT range from laser rangefinder, I do NOT hold over).  I did refer to MOA and not 1-inch groups, as I average around 4 inches or so at 400 if the wind is not kicking up across the range.  Sub-4 is probably consistent and the best ever was around 2 inches but that was luck.

I use a 200gr Shockwave and 110gr loose FFg 777 powder.  I accurized the gun by installing aluminum pillars, floating the barrel, and bedding the action.  This was required because the point of impact shifted with action screw tightness before I did it.

Usually, if a gun will shoot MOA at 100 yds you can get that or close to it at 300-400 if you are using a load that stays supersonic at the target.  But while the gun may do it it requires more skill on the part of the shooter. 

I burned through 5-6 lbs of powder and hundreds of shots during load development for this gun, and once I found the perfect load I have not changed a thing in 4 years.  I do not try the latest bullet or the latest powder -- I stick with what is worked and proven.  I have probably a thousand shots or more with this exact load through this gun in that time -- I think I shot close to 200 rounds just tuning a new scope and calculating long range drops last summer (I have a 400yd backyard range).

Even with all that effort most of the deer this gun has taken, probably 80% of them, have been 120 yds or less (if I can get closer I do).  Another 10% fall from 120-180 yds.  I think I have only shots 4 over 180 yds at game -- 205, 209, 233, and 338.  Wind is a huge factor past 200 so I usually pass on them unless it is more or less calm (which is not often the case).

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 07:36:19 AM »
If you want to get technical, MOA changes with the yardage.  At 100 yards minute of angle means 1 inch.  At 50 yards, it's half an inch.  At 400 yards, 4 inches, and so on. 

If someone says they're getting 1 inch groups at 400 yards, they ought to go out and start competing for the big money.  (or quit lyin' to you)
Yeah I know that. He said 4inchs at 400.

TC Omega (thumbhole laminate) with tactical scope (I dial for EXACT range from laser rangefinder, I do NOT hold over).  I did refer to MOA and not 1-inch groups, as I average around 4 inches or so at 400 if the wind is not kicking up across the range.  Sub-4 is probably consistent and the best ever was around 2 inches but that was luck.

I use a 200gr Shockwave and 110gr loose FFg 777 powder.  I accurized the gun by installing aluminum pillars, floating the barrel, and bedding the action.  This was required because the point of impact shifted with action screw tightness before I did it.

Usually, if a gun will shoot MOA at 100 yds you can get that or close to it at 300-400 if you are using a load that stays supersonic at the target.  But while the gun may do it it requires more skill on the part of the shooter. 

I burned through 5-6 lbs of powder and hundreds of shots during load development for this gun, and once I found the perfect load I have not changed a thing in 4 years.  I do not try the latest bullet or the latest powder -- I stick with what is worked and proven.  I have probably a thousand shots or more with this exact load through this gun in that time -- I think I shot close to 200 rounds just tuning a new scope and calculating long range drops last summer (I have a 400yd backyard range).

Even with all that effort most of the deer this gun has taken, probably 80% of them, have been 120 yds or less (if I can get closer I do).  Another 10% fall from 120-180 yds.  I think I have only shots 4 over 180 yds at game -- 205, 209, 233, and 338.  Wind is a huge factor past 200 so I usually pass on them unless it is more or less calm (which is not often the case).

Sounds good. I would try some small game varmint hunting with this rig for an extra challenge since it shoots this well all of the time.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 01:28:33 PM »
If I had any ground varmints around here to hunt with it, I'd try to stretch it even further.  However there really isn't much opportunity.