Author Topic: Monday  (Read 964 times)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Monday
« on: August 29, 2008, 02:31:21 PM »
Dove and Goose are starting on Labor Day.  Who is going?

I will be doving on Monday and goose on Friday.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Monday
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 07:56:36 AM »
Good Luck.  I normally go on the first dove hunting but am doing a little remodeling on the house so will have to put it off for a couple of weeks.

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 05:38:24 AM »
good recipe for dove!!!

wrap breast of dove around a pepper, wrap a piece of bacon around the breast, grill for about 10-15 minutes (depending on heat) turning once. When you take it off the grill remove the bacon and discard, remove the breast and discard then eat the pepper. :D :D ;D Have never actually tried this but if you have would like to know if it's any good before I spend much time dove hunting.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:23:28 AM »
Anybody have any luck the last couple of days?  I heard a lot of gun fire on the first, but have had rain since and not much shooting.  I am going to have a hard time making it dove hunting this month, so will have to live vicariously through you guys.

Offline Specklebelly

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 12:26:11 PM »
I shot three doves on Monday.  I went around Marlow and it was slim pickings except for on the power lines as we were leaving.   :( 

Only two stories from the hunt:
I am a little unique (in more ways than one) as I use six dove decoys when I dove hunt.  No one else I hunt with uses them but I swear by them.  It was pretty neat because the first dove I dropped was coming in and getting ready to land next to my decoy.  This has happened more than once and always gets the heart beating.

After I shot the dove I put him on a fallen tree to keep him out of the tall grass.  About an hour later I went to get him to move spots and he was COVERED with ants. 

The real hunting starts a week from Sat. (teal).  Problem is, water may be too deep for my main spot.
Specklebelly

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:17:31 PM »
That is interesting.  I did not even know they made dove decoys, but I do do something simular.  After shooting one I set it up by the water like a decoy and each one after.  It does work, after 3-4 almost everything flys in to them and you can shoot them,  It is fun to try to make them drop right by the rest of them too.

Offline Cecil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 03:38:34 AM »
I went to my place last Thursday to plant food plots and some winter pasture for cattle worked Friday,Saturday, Sunday planned on hunting dove Monday. In four days the most I saw was three together didn't bother to uncased the shotgun.
Cecil

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 05:44:34 AM »
we use 6-8 hard plastic decoys & a MOJO, spread them on the ground like they are feeding or in a tree.

The mojo's wings rotate making it look like they are coming in for a landing & doves can see the flashing a long way off. If they have nothing on their little minds they will come in for a look. We have had them land in between the decoys & feed. Have to spook them back into the air so we don't blow our dec's apart. 1st tried this last year & IT  increased success
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 02:49:59 PM »
All I ever saw was a couple on a highline so I never got the shotgun out of the case.
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline Specklebelly

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 08:11:16 AM »
Went after some geese today and only success was hearing some in the distance.  Sure beats working though.  ;D

I did have a BW teal land in my goose decs for a minute or two.  Others flew over a Mach 2 and scared me to death.

Hopefully they will hang around until next week.
Specklebelly

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 11:12:49 AM »
Had our anual post labour day weekend campout dove hunt out west in roger mills co.
we got 18 all together son got 8 & I got 4 other father son combo got 6, good thing for my dog or we would not have 1/2 of them recovered. Decoys worked for about 1/2 of ours. Not alot around but enough for a meal. Yes the jalapeno & bacon do work but we use thick bacon & get it semi crispy
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!