Author Topic: Shipping Model Artillery.  (Read 396 times)

Offline kappullen

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Shipping Model Artillery.
« on: June 28, 2008, 03:09:18 PM »
Guys,

What's the best legal way to ship these things?
I have a couple to go and UPS has their "firearm ban".
Will Fedex, or DHS handle them?
Don't think these really qualify as firearms, but does anyone here really know?
Thanks

Kap

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Shipping Model Artillery.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »
Kap,

This is a direct quote from Dixie Gun Works website:

What restrictions apply to shipping muzzleloading firearms?

Muzzleloaders, by virtue of the fact that they do not fire fixed ammunition, are considered antique firearms under The Gun Control Act of 1968 and are not restricted in trade by any federal law or regulation. This applies to both antique and new made muzzleloaders. There may be state or local ordinances which restrict our ability to ship direct to the customer. Residents of HI, NJ, MA and MI are urged to check their state and local laws for any restrictions on ordering black powder firearms. Dixie's black powder cartridge guns can only be shipped to a federally licensed dealer. In order to ship to the dealer, we must have a signed copy of the dealer's Federal Firearms License on file. If you are interested in ordering an FFL gun you should make arrangements with a local dealer to take delivery. This is a common practice and the dealer will usually charge only a nominal fee to complete the transfer.

Muzzleloading cannons do not apply to the federal rule. You should just be able to ship them as is.  If asked or, required you can just state that they are collectible iron toys. ;D Hope this helps.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 04:28:33 PM »
UPS has their "firearm ban".

What firearm ban?  The UPS firearm shipping policies are self-serving but it seems they do take them.  And since the ATF doesn't consider muzzle loading artillery models to be firearms, maybe the UPS firearms policies are irrelevant.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:44:38 PM »
I put all my guns in the mail.  I mail them priority mail.

If you are mailing a replica of a firearm-cannon made before before 1899 you may mail direct to the recipient as long as it is legal in your state and legal in the recipients state.

If the firearm is a post 1898 firearm it must go to a Federal Firearms license in the recipient state, if his state law allows it.

As a holder of a Federal Firearms Licsense since 1982, this is how I have always did it.

Now Intodeep posted while was I posting and he copied Dixie Gunworks.  What Dixie posted and what I posted are not quite the same and that is why we have the rule---no legal advice given here. Dixie's guidlines are more restrictive than what is allowed by law.

For the absolute positive true Legal opinion about how to legally properly do this refer to the rules of this forum that say all legal decision about lawful conduct must come from ATF.

I now put myself and Intodeep on report for violating the rules of this board!!

Post will be locked