Author Topic: Ole time fire cracker cannon  (Read 1735 times)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Ole time fire cracker cannon
« on: August 12, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »
what we have here is a Portuguese firecracker naval cannon made of all casted brass. the barrel measures about 5 1/2" in length 3/4' at breech and 1/2"at the muzzle. I guess we though we were the first to think of such an event. :D

Offline cannonmn

Re: Ole time fire cracker cannon
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 12:02:57 PM »
Nice little model, not sure why it is referred to as a fire cracker cannon, you couldn't shoot a firecracker in it, at least it doesn't look like it.  Might it have been made as a small desk model?

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 12:37:19 PM »
I used the firecracker reference because due to amount of charge that can be used to for a salute. Yes its a desk top model, but also can be fired.Not sure yet if I plan to do so, but whats a cannon if its not fired even once... :-\

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 04:39:56 AM »
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:10:05 AM »
Hey Boom J,

I was told by the previous owner that the cannon is a replica of a Portuguese type naval cannon, I'm no expert so I going on his word. I believe that the gentlemen is of Portuguese decent. Thanks for your Black Cat loading tip, But I'll just throw a little BP down the muzzle and stick fuse in her and call it day. ;D

Ed

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 11:00:49 AM »
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »
Firecracker cannons have always been an acceptable subject on this board...

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 05:54:41 PM »

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 12:35:43 AM »
If you want to find out for sure if this model was built to resemble the ordnance of a particular country, you could take a macro photograph of the coat of arms that's cast or soldered onto the top of the barrel and post it here, and we could tell if it is a proper royal cypher or coat of arms.  The shape of the barrel and the rings on it won't tell you much since they are "generic."  In fact the rings are a feature of 16th C. and earlier cannons, and the barrel shape is more like that of some 17th or 18th C. cannons.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 01:15:16 AM »
Hope this helps.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 02:31:56 AM »
Thanks.  Every old country has gone through an evolution of its official arms, and a country as old as Portugal has had many versions of it.  I think the seven small elements around the edges, with five different elements arranged in a cross within the seven, comprise a unique pattern, with or without the crown.  I'd say it is in fact intended to be the arms of Portugal.  See what you think.

Here's a modern version of the Portugal, shown on the flag of the Republic.  I'm sure someone could find a dead-ringer for the one on your cannon, and I'd do it except I have to roll out of here pretty soon.  The arms on the cannon (with crown) would be appropriate for the Portuguese monarchy which preceeded the Republic.

http://flagspot.net/flags/pt.html

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 03:46:49 AM »

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 06:59:47 AM »

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 08:54:18 AM »
BOY Boom J, your on a roll.  :-\ It was a tough decision to put the three stooges to rest, but with the help of cannonmn sharing flagspot.net site. I did a little research and found the coat of arms of which my distant relatives had settled several century's ago. Plus I think it looks pretty cool. So you think the stooges have earned thier rest?

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 09:28:21 AM »
Eduardo,
What is represented on the shield, are the castles of Castile and the lions of Leon for the House of Portugal. If you have scallop shells, they represent pilgrimages. Pilgrims carried large shells as drinking cups with which they collected alms on their journey.  There are often 5 shells on each of the 5 escutcheons within the shield in the center for the House of Portugal. In Scotland for one, they say of a drunk, "he is in his shells", whereas we have all heard, "he is in his cups". Well, those of us beyond Social Security age have. As for our young whipper-snappers,  who knows?

Maybe I should go on a quiz show with all of this useless crappola I know.

Richard "The Pilgrim"
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 10:16:02 AM »

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 10:59:38 AM »
Boom, first I want to wish you a speedy recovery.  :-\ this emotionicon is of being undecided, so on that note don't think that you have begun to annoy me just yet.  ;D Yes, those are the correct stooges. I also have a few cool pictures of the little rascals playing with cannons, just might put them up at some point as my avatars..

Richies "The Pilgrims" once I get the chance I look into your question about what the Castillo & Leons on the shield represent.

Edgar De Soto

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 12:55:12 PM »

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 01:04:49 PM »
Ed,
They are the arms of the King of Castile and Leon.  google "Castile and Leon".

Rocco Cannoli
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 03:57:34 PM »
Now your never going to experiment with a cracker in this tube even though it's permissable by board rules.

Board rules don't say anything about firing a fire cracker in this cannon...board rulles allow the discussion of firecracker cannnons, something quite different all together.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 04:10:19 PM »
Douglas,

Did I miss something here? Please elaborate... ???

Offline Double D

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 05:12:10 PM »
El Caz,

Boom J said board rules say its permisslible for you to shoot fire crackers in your cannon.  Board rule don't say anthing about what you decide to shoot in your cannon at all, that's strictly your decision.

The remark was directed to him not you. 

On the subject of your cannon, have you checked very close to determine if the breech doesn't unscrew, that knurled breech ring makes me think it might.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 09:43:46 PM »
Double D,

Now I understand, thanks for your reply.Na, this little guy is a heavy solid brass casting, the breech does not unscrew. If I decided to fire a salute with firecracker size charge, it should be safe enough to handle it.

Ed

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »
Well I finally had a few minutes this weekend, to take out the mini, nano, cracker, micro or desktop cannon whatever we want to call them. For a test, after few blank shots I gave it a go with a live shot and this is how it went. I aslo in included one of my brooks in for the fun of it, Old with the New.

Click on the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tm9Hgd5WL8

Click On the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWqK9XDv4EY

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 09:35:09 AM »
Excellent video!

For a test, after few blank shots I gave it a go with a live shot and this is how it went.

What did you use for shot?

I looked through the thread again, but I never saw where you stated the caliber.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 10:35:48 AM »
Kinda short range targets.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 11:04:42 AM »
Well I finally had a few minutes this weekend, to take out the mini, nano, cracker, micro or desktop cannon whatever we want to call them.

Good vids, Ed. I think miniature is the most accurate.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 04:14:13 PM »
oops sorry Terry C my bad, I used Magtech .25 cal. 50gr. bullets. Miniature cannons on a miniature target range :D, It was the best I could do to show these mini cannons firing shot on camera.