Author Topic: What Caliber  (Read 747 times)

Offline MWells

• Trade Count: (3)
What Caliber
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:56:28 AM »
Looking purchase my first muzzleloader. I was looking at getting a barrel for my contender, but I am now looking at a CVA optima. What caliber? I will be hunting whitetail deer in central Texas, 150 ib max. One piece of advice given to me said go with the .50 because evryone is phasing out the .45. Then another sadi got with the .45. Any ideas?

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: What Caliber
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 07:12:59 AM »
get the .50   There are states like colorado that if u were to want to hunt elk there, .50cal is minimum for elk hunting.

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 07:52:15 AM »
The main advantage of the .50, and it's a big one, is the wide variety of bullets and sabots available in that caliber.  Lots of combinations to play around with to find that perfect load.

The .45 is a fine caliber and will certainly do the job on deer with the right bullet.  There are just fewer options and they don't show up in almost every shop like the .50 does.

If you like shooting patched round balls, the .54 is the way to go.  It's a fun load to shoot and effective out to 100 yards, 125 at a stretch.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »
The 50 is move versatile than the 45. Get the 50.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline MWells

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 11:38:39 AM »
I can say with almost 100% certainty that I will not be elk hunting in Colorado with my ml. So that is not something that will sway my purchase. The availability of components will. It looks like the .50 will be the wiser choice.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 05:01:08 PM »
Get the 50. I have one 45 and Its extremely hard to find sabots for it and I am basically stuck shooting 195 grain Powerbelts. The 50 is the best choice and I would shop around for good deals on ML's as we get closer to deer season.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 05:32:52 PM »
No, You're not stuck using 195 powerbelts. They come in a wide variety of weights from 175 up to the 300g platinum.  I prefer the 225 and 275 my self. When i own a .45 that is  ;D

Also the GP conicals in .45  and the tc maxi balls and hunters, Not to mention the low cost Bull shop conicals that you can have casted.

The .50 is just the easiest and most common muzzy out there.  If you want an odd ball and a real good way to screw your self out of using an assortment of projectiles, buy a .52cal knight!

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »
I know I am not stuck with the 195 grain powerbelt but that is what shoots best in mine and I have had the best luck with. Conicals don't shoot well out of my Encore barrel. My 50 cals I have many choices to make and it is almost unlimited as far as bullet power combos.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Keith Lewis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 06:17:11 AM »
First muzzleloader buy a .50 for all the reasons stated. What you probably do not know at this time is that this is likely not going to be your only muzzleloader and if you get the urge later you can always add a .45 to the list. I think I am at about seven or eight now (maybe a few more but who is counting) and one is actually a .410. Still do not have a .45. The rest are .50 except for one .54 Hawken that has a switch barrel in .50 but with twist for round balls. My latest is the CVA Optima Elite which is great as you can add barrels as you want including centerfire if so inclined.