Author Topic: must make a decision  (Read 618 times)

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
must make a decision
« on: August 09, 2008, 06:42:45 AM »
Hello
I have a 1972 Winchester "94. It's in very good condition,including the stock
I have to install an unusually big cheekpiece that will be permently attached to the buttstock.
I bought the cheepest stock available from Numrich Arms for 32 dollars,to bugger up.When it arrived,it was a very fine curly walnet,with cut checkering and classy recoil pad.It does have two dings on one side that are not bad,at all.I can easily match an equally fine forestock to it from Numrich,for about 20 dollars.The recoil pad is marked"Winchester Repeating Arms"in a circle.
Would this stock be available on a 1972 Winchester?
Would this "new"stock increase the value more then 50 dollars?
Thanks
Frank
Frank

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: must make a decision
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 02:36:12 AM »
Kragman71:  I would try and contact Winchester directly and speak to one of their historians to see if the stock you want to purchase is period correct, then the decision to modify is up to you.

If the new stock is period correct then about the only enhancement to the overall value would be in the appearance of the curly walnut stock and I would bugger the original stock so you can have the nicer one if you wish to return the rifle to stock condition.  An added cheekpiece would probably detract from the overall value at a shop.  Custom rifles rarely bring the value of all the enhancements that have been put into it for personal preferences.  JMTCW.  Mikey.