Author Topic: Missing person  (Read 577 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Missing person
« on: July 04, 2008, 04:35:06 AM »
Anybody besides me notice that our Number One  Lead Carpenter is missing?  The guy we depend on for those neat concepts in wood and metal almost always done in minature and always properly painted!    The fellow who started the Nano Cannon arms race with his palm size Confederate 24 pounder Mortar!

What is that they always when one of the group passes...We are diminished.  I don't think he has passed, but--We are still diminished by his absence.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Missing person
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 04:58:11 AM »
Yep, I've noticed. I did PM CW about this last month since I knew they were around the same area.  What ever is going on I hope everything is OK. I believe CW posted somewhere that this missing person is "alive and well"  and would let him tell what's been up.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline MikeR C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 05:03:28 AM »
I HAVE noticed that he has been missing lately, I'm sorta hoping that he won the lottery and has been absent because he has been too busy setting up the new world class artillery museum...

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 05:31:38 AM »
     Double D,    Do you mean the guy who got us going with his comments at the start of the second "What is it Where is it Contest" this past January, which went something like this, "I feel the stress, maybe DD will email me some of the answers."

And us, not being at all sensitive, shot back this comment:

"quit blubbering and give me an answer to no. 7!  It is so close, that you could almost include it in your farm chore list.  In the west, when we say close, we mean within 200 miles on the shortest surface route.  No more negativity, or I will move your absolutely fantastic little bronze mortar with the green bed out of the number one slot to be re-created when I retire!!  So there."

We miss his friendly nature, sharp wit and his wonderful craftsmanship.  We sincerely hope he will rejoin us!

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 05:41:01 AM »
Doesn't Tim the Cat Whisperer live nearby?

Maybe someone should check on him? I hate to think the worst, but it is possible that some illness or injury is responsible for his absence.

I checked and his last post was made on May 1st.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 05:50:25 AM »
Yeah, that's him...

I have been greatly concerned that perhaps he might have got in some trouble...I had this picture in my mind of him running down the street screaming, wearing nothing but a loin cloth and waving his Zulu namesake in the air, and then encountering the local Constable, who took exception...It's my fault I brought them back for South Africa for him...My apologies to the board.   :)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 06:16:03 AM »
DD,

That's better than my thought. I had a vision of a pie plate and a new 7" Brooke...... Oh, never mind. ;D

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 06:27:21 AM »
I want to know what he's been up to.

AND we need to settle the dates for the NRV 2nd Annual Mortar and Cannon Shoot-fest.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 07:07:56 AM »
     Just to give everyone some context for  intoodeep's comments, the quote below is what we said when the "missing" gentleman suggested that the winner of the "Where are These Cannons Located?" contest in September of 2007 should maybe get a brand new Brooke Seacoast Rifle from the Colorado boys.

"We are going to have to have a serious talk with you.  The Brooke eh?  Maybe you could become part of our traveling demonstration team?  We need a person with lots of faith and courage to hold two pie plates out at arms length at 200 yards.   :o :o     We are curing the flier problem, so the Brooke should do about 3 inches for five shots at 200!!  We are pretty excited; you probably would be too with that job assignment!

Tim,  we also are anxious to know what date the Virginia Shoot will be on.  This year we plan on timing our 8th Research and Shooting Trip around the Virginia shoot's date.  That we be our First Stop and then it's on to finish up our research in New England, southern New York and Pennsylvania.

Mike and Tracy

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 08:02:31 AM »
"We are curing the flier problem"  (note use of verb in present, not past tense)
"We need a person with lots of faith and courage to hold two pie plates out at arms length at 200 yards"
               ::)

:D     Happy 4th to all !!!       :D

Rick

p.s. to Mike and Tracy, weather same here this time as last year... cannon will get a good washing this evening all by itself while I sit and consume cold ones

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 12:00:52 PM »
I have noticed that he who cannot be named is missing, too. I've missed his history lessons. Hopefully he will return soon and enlighten us concerning his absence.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »
     Rick,    Last year we did have a most eventful and fun time at your house.  Mike and I still marvel at the boundless energy and enthusiasm of your son.  It's 97 deg. here today so I bet you are a bit more comfortable than us.  We need some of your rain out here!  You know we did cure the flyer problem, but that was the second rifling test barrel mounted on that old landscape log.  That baby could shoot; we had several groups with four and one of five under two inches.  Now we have to do all the load developement once again with this final proto gun.  But, it's fun-work and we are almost disappointed when it goes quickly and without much challenge.  We need an excuse to get out of the shop and a trip to the range is our favorite one.  Hope you all have a Happy 4th of July yourselves.

The guys with the log penetrating Parrott,

Tracy and Mike