Author Topic: Burris stinks! Rifle/scope combo was bought back by Cabelas,100% money refunded!  (Read 3073 times)

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
snapcrackpop,

Thank you, I have always understood that everybody isn’t going to agree with me.  I just don’t let people’s comments to get under my skin.  They all have their own opinions too.  Some people feel they have a need to change a person’s way of thinking and won’t stop or let it go, I think is funny when that happens.

Maybe I have been lucky with my replaced scopes with tubes dents, since they had other problems too.  I will be careful in the future to not purchase any scopes with main tube dents.

yooper77

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
I have a Burris pistol scope made in America on a 12ga slug gun and IMO it's better than a Luepold. If Leupold brings back Redfield they will probably be second class to Redfield like they used to be!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
One of these scopes had the forward bell dented along with main tube dents

Was anything else wrong with the scope?  Specifically, was there anything mechanically wrong with the optic, or was it all cosmetic?
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline Sitting Duck

Jason280:  The plot thickens!

Yopper77 wrote:  "Maybe I have been lucky with my replaced scopes with tubes dents, since they had other problems too."

Conclude what you will with that statement.

Offline yooper77

It was an older Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40mm, gloss with fine reticle I picked up at a gun show for $50.  I don't know what the was wrong with the scope other than the bell and main tube dents, because after I bought it I immediately mailed it to Leupold and they sent me a brand new Vari-X II 3-9x40mm gloss with duplex reticle.  I no longer will buy scopes with tube dents, but this scope was worth it and it paid off for me.

The Burris scope had the dents hidden under the rings when I bought it as a rifle/scope combo, but now I am careful and will not purchase a scope in that condition again.

Just this week I agreed to buy a used Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40mm gloss scope, the seller took the scope out of the rings and told me there weren’t any dents before we made the deal.

yooper77

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
I'm glad he's happy now and can move on.  As should we.   ::)

Sitting Duck,
The plot thickens because you keep stirring it!  ;)
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Maybe I am being too skeptical, but I simply have a hard time believing Leupold will flat out replace a scope simply for cosmetic damage (specifically, damage due to negligence).  Now, I can understand them replacing a scope that has mechanical/optical issues as well as cosmetic issues, but not for damage caused by user abuse.

Can anyone else back this claim? 

I don't know what the was wrong with the scope other than the bell and main tube dents

This statement suggests there were other issues with the scope, and explain why Leupold replaced it.  Yooper, are you sure there was nothing else wrong with the scope when you shipped it back?  I am not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to get an accurate understanding.   
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline yooper77

I didn't check it out at all, I just bought it and mailed it to Leupold that same day, I am guessing they found something warranting a replacement scope.  Possibly the scope didn't pass pressure checks or other tests with the bell dent.

I won't hesitate to purchase any used Leupold scopes, only now I will not purchased one with actual tube dents.  Surface scuffs and rubs from rings are OK, just no dents.

yooper77

Offline rem700-3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • Contributor
leoupld will not replace or repair cosmetic issues related to neglect or "normal" use they will repair or replace any GOLD RING scope with quality issues at any time for any owner

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
Expecting them to fix a scope that had cosmetic damage caused by user negligence?  Maybe Leupold will do that for you, and more power to them if they will.  But you'll pay for that service in the price tag on the scope.

As for me, I think I'll just buy the Burris and mount it properly.  I only own two scopes, and they're both Burris.  Neither one has given me an ounce of trouble.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
I got a good chuckle at Cabelas the other evening when I heard a counter guy saying they will moune a scope for free. Not sure if you had to buy the rifle there but you did need to buy the scope and rings for their expurt mounting