Author Topic: conicals outta da wolf??  (Read 704 times)

Offline moto357

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
conicals outta da wolf??
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:35:57 AM »
got a quick session in this mornin fellers.  tight on time since it was supposed to rain, and it did before i was done. 

just always thought that da wolf was a sabot shooter, since tha sabots dont requite such good QGB to shoot.  always done good with a 250gr xtp and 100gr loose 777 2f.  well i like the idea of shoving a large piece of lead downrange rather than a pistol bullet since im not shooting a pistol.  i got maself one dem lee .501 sizers and sized up a couple hundred bullets i had casted for another toy and figured i'd put tha wolf through some paces with them lead bullets.  since i knew i wouldn't have too long this morning i just brought along 25 and a few wads ta try and away i went.  i've cornverted mah breechplug for a .336 primer(S&W .32) and still have another 209 plug to compare results with, but stuck with just the 336 today.  tha bullets are out of a custom Lee mold that come out at 445gr, known in other parts of the world as tha UC short.  shot a few rounds at about 50yds with 70gr pirodex P and no wad.  those turned out pretty well.  since i was impressed and didn't have much time, my foolish self brought tha target as far as i could get it, which was around 125-130yds.

out at 125 or 130yds i uped my charge to 80gr of pryrodex P and let a few fly, starting with a clean barrel again.  i could call my shots whenever i would pull left or right, but the few that i felt good on were about a foot low and nice n tight, to my suprise!! ;D 
i felt so good about what just happened i had to tune my scope a lil bit.  since i dont hunt at this distance, i only went about half way, or a touch more.  this time using some cardboard wads i cut out, and the same charge of 80gr and tha 336 primer, now they were shooting right around 4inches low and a three shot group measured lil more than 1.5" center to center.  still no cleaning, those last 3 shots were shots 7, 8 and 9.  im awfully excited to go play again with my newly appreciated toy! ;D

just thought some cva dudes and maybe a couple wolf owners wouldn't mind hearing my findings this morning and maybe mite get somebody to go try something different for themselves.