Author Topic: Burris Sign Select vs Nikon Monach  (Read 616 times)

Offline lonemeabuck

• Trade Count: (0)
Burris Sign Select vs Nikon Monach
« on: July 01, 2008, 05:11:40 PM »
Looking to buy a mid-power variable scope for a TC encore in 243 Win.

Choices are Burris Sign Select 3-12x or Nikon Monarch 3-12x SF.

Any experiences or advice is appreciated.

Offline Sitting Duck

Re: Burris Sign Select vs Nikon Monach
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:59:07 AM »
I like the clarity of the Monarch.  My exposure to Nikon has been limited to a 3-9X40 UCC on a 22-250 in the Arizona sun but I'm impressed.  The controls are smooth and accurate.  The quality of glass is very evident if you've owned less expensive scopes in the past.

The Monarch is sitting in replacement of a Bushnell that had so-so glass and terrible controls.  In Bushnell's defense, it was a variable with A/O and BDC but not their top-of-the-line Elite series.

The only Burris I'm familiar with sits on a 12 gauge slug gun.  It is a pistol scope, however, and might not be a good comparison to their rifle scopes.  It does have very good glass though.  Not as bright as the Monarch but good enough to touch slug holes at two hundred yards.  Not my shooting but my brother's  ;D.  I witnessed this. 

I would go to the local store and check out the optics of both indoors and outdoors.  Your interest is in a variable so the controls should rank high on your list of concerns, also.  Just because you can see it doesn't mean you can hit it if the innards are mediocre and you can't repeat your adjustments.

I think there are a lot of good scope manufacturers out there.  Some are even the lower priced brands that the die-hard expensive scope guys wouldn't touch with a stick.  You know, the ones that insist that the scope should cost as much as the gun.  Of course, there are expensive scopes out there that don't deserve the price based on my readings (not first hand knowledge) but I don't think Burris Signature and Nikon Monarch come close to falling into that category.

It all comes down to your expectations and wallet.  Good optics are like a beautiful woman.  They both cost money.  The only difference is the glass is an one-time expenditure.   :D   

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 05:10:27 AM »
Neither one, for your price range I would purchased a Leupold VX-II 4-12x 40mm, matte, with the Fine Duplex Reticle, LR Duplex Reticle or Leupold Dot Reticle your choice.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=724318&t=11082005
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=599477&t=11082005
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=319406&t=11082005

yooper77

Offline Sitting Duck

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 06:45:00 AM »
Yooper77:  I'm surprised you didn't take this opportunity to bash Nikon.   ::)

I believe the choices were Burris Sign Select 3-12x or Nikon Monarch 3-12x SF.  But then my bifocal prescription is rather old.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 07:15:05 AM »
Why would I bash Nikon?

I read his choices and I made my selection from his list, which was neither.

I will always select Leupold, there is more that just a scope when you make your purchase.  I have to stick with the best customer in optics, Leupold!

Further more, I shop around and never pay retail price for firearms or scopes, so it is always a bargain for me.

yooper77

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 04:47:55 AM »
Both are very nice scopes.  I don't own a signature select yet but plan to get one on my next scope purchase, to go on a .270 win.

I do own Leupold VX II's, and VXIII's, Nikon Monarchs, and Bushnell Elite 4200's.  All of these scopes are high quality and you won't go wrong with any of them IMO.  I don't own any Ziess, and would like to try one of them as well.

The Signature select has the same glass as the Black Diamond but with a 1" tube instead of a 30mm.

Really, it's personal preference between the two, and I'd probably take the one I got the best buy on. 

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline lonemeabuck

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »
I AM SAYING THIS WITHOUT PERSONAL EXPERIENCE (BEING THAT I NEVER OWNED A LEUPOLD).

MOST PEOPLE I SPEAK WITH SAY THAT LEUPOLD ARE GOOD SCOPES BUT ARE OVERPRICED.

I DO OWN OTHER BURRIS SCOPES, AND AM VERY HAPPY WITH THEM (QUALITY VS PRICE).

I THINK I WILL GO WITH THE SIGNATURE SELECT ONCE I FIND ONE ON SALE.