Author Topic: Have you guys ever heard of Hypermiling????  (Read 534 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Have you guys ever heard of Hypermiling????
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:13:30 PM »
Yup, first started it in 1974, only I don't think they called it that then!!  ;D

Tim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiler

http://www.hypermiling.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 03:58:24 AM »
I guess i have been doing it to some extent since i learn to drive.
I can not believe some folks would be so stupid to turn the engine off while coasting down hill.
When i was driving a truck, i used to bump it into neutral on some hills (the ones i knew)
we called it Georgia overdrive, imagine 100,000lbs + in Georgia overdrive running in excess
of 100 mph, WHAT AN IDIOT I WAS when i was young and bullet proof. :o ;D
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:28:44 AM »
Cost me my car when a buddy did it back in 1969.  He got to going too fast, unable to slow down enough to make a turn at the bottom of the hill.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 04:42:19 AM »
I guess i have been doing it to some extent since i learn to drive.
I can not believe some folks would be so stupid to turn the engine off while coasting down hill.
When i was driving a truck, i used to bump it into neutral on some hills (the ones i knew)
we called it Georgia overdrive, imagine 100,000lbs + in Georgia overdrive running in excess
of 100 mph, WHAT AN IDIOT I WAS when i was young and bullet proof. :o ;D

I have to agree with you on turning the engine off going down hill. When you do that the brakes and steering do not work properly. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline SDS-GEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:08:09 AM »
http://www.cleanmpg.com has a bunch of suggestions on how to improve your cars mpg.  Most are just plain common sense stuff like keeping your tires near top pressure and changeing the air filter regularly.  Others suggest removing luggage racks and other contraptions that cause drag.  I heard the guy who runs the web sight on the radio one morning and he claimed to be getting way above the normal gas mileage in his car.  One thing I do pretty regularly is drafting behind a big semi.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:14:42 AM »
You guys might find this interesting. I was watching Myth Busters about a month ago and they did a thing on gas mileage with pick up trucks. They tested the same truck with a flat cover on the back, with the tail gate down and with one of those nets that replace the tail gate. It turned out that the test with the net save the most fuel. I would have thought the tail gate down would of been the most efficient. Dale

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 06:35:18 PM »
according to wind tunnel tests drag goes up with the tailgate lowered or off that means less mileage and i tried it once on a 74 chevy  and the mileage went down.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten