Author Topic: Dixie Model 1863 Springfield Rifle Musket Kit (unassembled)  (Read 3108 times)

Offline rays89

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Normally I am around the Cannon forum. But I decided to get back into the Traditional black powder long arms. I do have some experience with kits I have built a CVA hawken rifle, Restored a pedersoli Flintlock I got for $75.00 and build a couple of Classic arms pistol kits like the boot pistol. I recently aquired a Dixie Model 1863 Springfield Rifle Musket Kit (unassembled). And the thing doesnt have directions. While some parts are easy to identify. I found a few I have no idea on. Even an exploded view might help but directions are preferable. Some of the markings are unsatisfactory like the "Made in Japan" ugh. I would like to make this as authenic as possible. Like what would be the best way to finish the stock. The stock is american walnut. I prefer not to stain it would maybe a sandinging down with fine grit sand paper and lindseed oil do the trick. Also wonering if anybody else has built the same kit. Thanx
                                                      Ray
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/rays89/dixiemusket.jpg

Offline captchee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Dixie Model 1863 Springfield Rifle Musket Kit (unassembled)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 06:50:45 AM »
what parts do you need id' specificly  ray ?

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 08:02:59 AM »
I hadn't got a far as the metal work as of yet. But when I get there I probably be ablling panicing asking questions.  Right now I am working on the woodwork. I was going to just use linseed oil but the wood was way to light. So far I piut 1 coat of Provincial 211 minwax stain. It is darker but might need another coat. After the coats have dried should I use linseed oil? I am trying to get a finish like this. The Cartouches would be nice. But I have no idea on how to appy them.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 08:29:42 AM »
How is this for authenticty? Ugh......

Offline captchee

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 08:40:55 AM »
LOL  ya  that stamping can be kinda sad .
 ha if you want i i have a 1853 enfeidl from arms port that i sell ya for 450.00 bucks lol

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 03:44:45 PM »
Well the wood work is done. Now comes the questions. The metal pieces are very rough. How can I clean them up so they would shine line the one pictured. Man I hadn't gotten to putting it together.

If it had direction like this one even though they were poor it would be much easier. The wood was carved out of a block of mahogany (still needs some more sanding)

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 01:38:32 PM »
  I always start with files and go progessively finer until I can switch to sandpaper. My '63 is really old and has taken on a nice patina, but you can still see that it is nice and shiny. The steel parts have a soft sheen--kind of like old silver. The final step was to stroke the parts with a smooth steel rod. In the old days this was called "needling" and closes the pores in the metal. The result is an enduring polish and a very rust resistant finish.
  You may be able to remove the Made in Japan stamping on the breech by draw-filing that flat. Depends how deep the marking was stamped in there. Good luck and never lose sight of the fact that this is supposed to be fun!
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 05:12:06 AM »
Due to the fine people at Dixie arms directions are not available. So if anybody knows where I can get and exploded diagram. I would appreciate it.
  Thanx to the old dremel tool I am starting to get a shine. But it still needs more work. I am interested in the concept of using a metal rod for the final finish. But I will ask about that when I get there
                                                                    Thanx
                                                                           Ray

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 09:33:24 AM »
Not great, but the best I could come up with.  http://www.lodgewood.com/springfield%201842-63.htm  Scroll to the bottom for the diagram.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 03:03:29 PM »
Cowpox thanks for the link I do think I beleive where every part is supposed to go (I hope). There was one mysterious looking screw that was flat and had to small holes in it. That one had me stumped. After studying numerous pictures I found out it is the screw that holds the rear sight onto the barrel. Well I am back to polishing. This is the part that is going to take awhile.....

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »
Well the rifle is done I wish I took a better picture of it but I am on a tight schedule. I just found out a #100 percusion cap does not fit. So what size am I going to need? plust where can I get .577 minie ball for it. Dixie gunworks is back ordered ugh.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »
corection a #11 percusion cap doesn't fit.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 11:45:33 AM »
Looks like ya did nice work.  ;) Since it's a musket, try some musket caps. ;D

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain