Author Topic: Trail Boss and Jacketed Bullets?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline jackinil

• Trade Count: (1)
Trail Boss and Jacketed Bullets?
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:36:19 AM »
Everything I read about Trail Boss mentions using it with cast bullets. I have a 45-70 Buffalo Classic I'd like to try Trail Boss in[those factory loads &&^% hurt!]. I already have some jacketed 300 gr HP but if it's not feasible or a safety issue I'll use cast.TIA      Jack

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Trail Boss and Jacketed Bullets?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 09:26:10 AM »
The IMR website is under construction, but I found this discussion at Shooters Forum that explains why there's no Trailboss jacketed data....

"Trail Boss was designed for use with lead bullets only. It does not like jacketed bullets and performs poorly with them. We have no plans to offer jacketed bullet data because of the poor performance."

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=23553

From ADI...

Trail Boss is designed specifically for low velocity lead bullet loads for Single Action shooting. It is based on a whole new technology which allows very high loading density, good flow through powder measures, stability in regard to temperature variation and most importantly, additional safety to the handloader.

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/powder.asp

I'm sure a call/email to Hodgdon will discourage the urge to use Trailboss with jacketed bullets.

Tim

http://hodgdon.com/contactus.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 12:16:40 PM »
More than likely this is what you are looking for.  Larry

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/5744.htm

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline tykempster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 07:23:24 PM »
How about some Unique (10-15 grains) under some filler, under your bullet of choice?  Maybe up the ante a bit and go to 20 grains for jacketed heavier ones.  15 grains should get a 300 grainer out the barrel.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 06:34:56 AM »
Lyman lists SR-4759 for very mild loads using a jacketed 300 gr Bullet

24.0 gr for 1290 fps @ 14,00 CUP      to         27.0 g for 1420 fps @ 16,500 CUP

Sierra shows the follwing from a 32 1/2 inch Barrel

Powder 2400   24.5 gr for 1450 fps

from a 26" barrel

Powder 2400   29.8 gr for 1650 fps

Personally I think the 45-70 is just more fun to shoot with cast bullets.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:04:39 PM »
5744 works very well for the 45/70. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline jackinil

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »
I picked up some 405gr FN lead bullets from Cabelas to try with the Trail Boss. Looking in a few loading manuals I noticed loads for jacketed bullets using Varget,which I have on hand. Will try that at a later date.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 04:36:40 PM »
I don't understand what difference that it would make if the bullet is jacketed or not. 

I accept that jacketed bullets don't lead the barrel....so maybe they have less friction.....so the burn time is shorter?

Logically, I would think that a "heavy for caliber" bullet would work with Trailboss. 

Was thinking about using it or Unique for some .38 loads for the boy to shoot.  Haven't gotten around to it. 

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
Jacketed bullet has more friction than lead.  TrailBoss was made to fill the case a lot more than light loads of other powders.  You should be able to use jacketed bullets, but, that isn't what it was made for.  Not sure if it might have a pressure spike using more powder with jacketed bullets or not.  Shouldn't, I see loads listed for cast in the 454 Casull and 460 S&W.  Pressures are still under 25000 PSI for them.  DP.
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 06:43:20 PM »
If the people who make Trail Boss say it doesn't woprk well with jacketed bullets I would say it would be prudent to believe them.  If the people who make 5744 say it was designed to work for reduced loads in large bore cartriges I would say it would probably be appropriate to believe them.  Amazes me to see how many people just don't  listen to the people who really know what they are talking about.  You could just start loading small amounts of whatever you have on the shelf for reduced loads and see what happens, coud be entertaining if there is anyone left to post pictires.  Reduced loads can be very hazardous, seems wrong but it is true, do a little research before you delve into the black art of extreme reduced loads.   Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 08:47:11 PM »
I don't load anything without the powder maker's approval except for some cautiously extrapolated .360 DW loads.

I guess that I need to be more specific in my phrasing.  How about:

"Was thinking about using it or Unique for some .38 loads for the boy to shoot.  Haven't gotten around to it.  I guess that I won't since it isn't a recommended powder.  Having looked at the Hodgdon website I see that I was wrong.  The powder that I was thinking of is 'Universal' not 'Unique'.  Also, the loads are based on the 357 brass instead of the 38 brass.  I guess that I am lucky that I still have all of my fingers and eyes after thinking on my own there for a minute."

Maybe that is a little more sarcastic than I originally intended as Larry is an alright guy. 

If you aren't cautious by nature then don't handload. 

I still would like a gallery type load for 38 for the boy.  Shouldn't be hard to find one.  Cast bullets would probably be cheap as all get out.  Doesn't have to cycle an action in the NEF, now I am getting kind of excited.  Going to do some reading.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 12:08:28 AM »
The problem with too light loads using jacketed bullets and even more so with half jacket bullets is that the friction of the jacket might cause it to stick in the barrel and the core to contine on out the barrel. You assume it cleared the barrel when in fact it really did not but only partially cleared. Then you fire another round with the jacket as a barrel obstruction and seriously bad things happen.

Even if you look down the barrel every time and make sure all cleared prior to firing again what ya gonna do when that one time you look down it you see the jacket stuck? It's not all that easy to remove them, do able yes but not so easily and you may or may not have the needed tools with you at the range.

Sure folks experiment all the time and most times survive it OK due to the truly extra strength manufacturers build into their firearms knowing some of us are gonna push the envelope. Then too SAAMI pressure levels are set such that the average gun has a huge safety margin build into it. But if ya ignore all the warnings and strike out on your own into unknown territory where the powder makers and all load manual publishers say don't then sooner or later it's gonna bite ya in the butt.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 04:08:29 AM »
Guys, if you call or e-mail IMR, they will give you the straight scoop. They've called me at home on several occasions to give answers to various questions.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion