Author Topic: Variation on a Theme  (Read 851 times)

Offline JCHannum

• Trade Count: (0)
Variation on a Theme
« on: July 13, 2008, 05:13:56 AM »
When I saw MikeR C's posting on the breech loading swivel gun, I decided I needed one. I made mine of brass, and only made a few changes to Mike's plans. I extended the breech and chamber by 5/16", and made the barrel 6" long. The rest pretty much follows the plans.

It was a straightforward build, and thanks to the well thought out and presented drawings, no major problems were encountered. Many thanks to Mike for the write up and drawings.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
Re: Variation on a Theme
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 05:50:40 AM »
Beautiful!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 11:23:32 AM »
Very nice!  What alloy brass, and what caliber?  Have you fired it yet?

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 12:09:04 PM »
Very Very NICE!! more details please.. specs, photos and videos of fire & smoke..

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 01:30:55 PM »
JCHannum,

Very nicework!!!! I like it!
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 02:09:48 PM »
thats an beauty
I can just agree that the design and drawings are perfect
what wood have you used ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 03:32:36 PM »
JCHannum,
I thought long and hard about whether I should dimension those drawings and post them.  I am not much of a draftsman and was somewhat afraid of being ridiculed, however several people have gone out of their way to give me a hand so I figured I would make the post.
The picture you posted made it all worth while. You did a beautiful job and I hope you have as much fun with it as I have with mine.

Thank you,
MikeR C

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 04:14:23 PM »
MikeR C.

Go to our post at the top of the board called safe loads and cannon plans.  Open it and the click on the post for my golf ball mortar. After looking at my drawings let me know if you are worried about some one ridiculing your drawings on this board.

Offline JCHannum

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 04:38:41 PM »
Thanks for the nice words. The material is whatever I had in the brass bin that would work. Most is probably 360 brass with some bronze in the mix. It is destined to become a shelf queen dust collector and not fired since it is not readily dismantled for cleaning. I have a utiliy beater cannon for the odd salute and defense against invasion by 1/4 scale Redcoats.

The wood is padauk, which machines nicely with metal working equipment. It is dense and oily, I turned it, lightly sanded and applied a couple of coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil.

Mike, there is certainly nothing to be ashamed about in the drawings or dimensions, all work very well. I did massage some to fit my ideas and the materialas available. Should you get it in your head to do another project and document it similarly, please do.

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 06:33:33 PM »
Unless I am missing something, that looks to be a pretty simple gun to clean.  Rinse the breech block under the faucet.  Rinse the breech and barrel out with garden hose. Dry and oil.

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »
Thats pretty much how I clean mine, using a pipe cleaner for the vent and a .30 cal mop to clean out the breech block and bore. Then hose it down with break free and wipe off the excess.
As far as your drawing goes you have been here a long time and are a moderator, no one would dare make fun of your drawings! :)

Thanks MikeR C

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 09:12:42 PM »
... no one would dare make fun of your drawings!

I guess it depends on one's definition of "make fun."  If you read the SAMCC gun thread from beginning to end, you will see a number of challenges to the dimensioned image drawings included (the drawings now posted have been corrected of the errors mentioned.)  True, they are not deriding DD's efforts but asking for clarification, but I doubt that anyone here would respond derisively to someone who had made an effort to share his work with the forum.

And if you (or anyone else considering posting drawings) have questions about drawing procedures, etc., put up a thread and ask.  Someone will respond with a good answer, I am sure.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 12:03:06 AM »
MikeR C.
Go to our post at the top of the board called safe loads and cannon plans.  Open it and the click on the post for my golf ball mortar. After looking at my drawings let me know if you are worried about some one ridiculing your drawings on this board.

Mike -

DD is uses a cad package - vintage - PP-01 he says (paper and pencil 01)  - it works.  I taught drafting and design for 13 years at a community college - I WON"T ridicule anyone's attempt to communicate!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 06:21:02 AM »
The fact that I am a moderator here won't stop anyone from from making fun of me for anything.  Look at what the heathen do when I point out that they need a couple coats of paint to finish out their projects .  They won't hold back.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 02:42:45 PM »
MikeR C.

Mike -

DD is uses a cad package - vintage - PP-01 he says (paper and pencil 01)  - it works.  I taught drafting and design for 13 years at a community college - I WON"T ridicule anyone's attempt to communicate!

Some of the world's greatest inventions were initially sketched with pencil and paper, or napkin... ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 03:58:14 PM »
Some?

More like MOST!   ;)

I know some engineers that keep a stack of paper plates strictly for sketching new ideas.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)