Author Topic: Cast Performance Bullet "shelf life"???  (Read 862 times)

Offline benny

• Trade Count: (1)
Cast Performance Bullet "shelf life"???
« on: July 21, 2008, 12:34:51 AM »
Hello all,

Just getting into reloading for my 41 mag and I bought a couple hundred of cast performance 250gr wfngc bullets to use for working on some huntng loads.  Do these heat treated bullets soften or harden over time, or are they stable at their current hardness?  I would like to keep a large supply on hand, so I wanted to be sure that they are stable.

thanks,

benny

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Cast Performance Bullet "shelf life"???
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 01:44:32 AM »
they will soften some over about a year then after that they will very very slowly and after probably 20 years or so suposidly will return to there original hardness. they wont soften enough to make a major differnce in performance or in your load developement over a year or two though. I dont worry abou the long run as im probably not going to be around in 20 years and if i am i probably wont be shooting much handgun anyway.
blue lives matter

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 03:13:06 AM »
I had the same question, so I sent an email to Cast Performance and this is the response I received.

My Question:
I was wondering what the shelf life is for Brinnel hardness of 18-21 to be maintained?

Cast Performance Response:
Our alloy starts out at 18.  Then we heat-treat to a Brinnel hardness of 21, so it will never go softer than 18.  They will stay at Brinnel 21 for three to five years.

yooper77

Offline benny

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 08:25:25 AM »
thanks guys :)

benny