Author Topic: New Extreme  (Read 618 times)

Offline MWells

• Trade Count: (3)
New Extreme
« on: July 14, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »
Just picked up a new Disc Extreme 50 cal. It is stainless with the thumbhole stock. It is my first muzzleloader. I picked up some 200 grain T/C shockwaves, some Triple 7 loose powder and some primers. I wanted the Triple 7 primers but no one had them in stock so I settled for Winchester primers. I also picked up the various cleaning supplies and accessories as well as anti seize grease. I am looking at starting my loads at 80 grains and moving up. Any thoughts here? W\hat about recommendations on future bullet selections? I just grabbed these because they were on clearance. I will be hunting whitetail in central Texas, 150 lb deer at the most.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: New Extreme
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:23:30 AM »
 1st off I think you bought a very fine M-L. I would also look into the Hornaday SST 'Low Drag' 250 grn saboted bullet. It's best to load them with a special hollow starter/ramrod tip so you don't damage the point. I would be up near 100grns of 777 powder once you get your sights/scope near where you want them. Yes you can go  to a max of 120 grns if you want. I stay below that & do fine. Last year I used Pyrodex & 777 is fine but this year I already have 3 containers of the new Blackhorn 209 powder to try out. Be sure to clean well after you shoot the 777 in your M-L. I also leave a light coat of oil in the bore after cleaning, & run a dry patch before the next use. I use plain Win shotgun primers and have had no problems with them.
NRA, Veteran

Offline MWells

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:56:18 AM »
Sounds like I am on the right track then. I looked at the Hornady bullets online but my LGS didn't have any. I shoot the Hornady's in my 6.5x55 swede and my .243 and like them alot. I grabbed the shockwaves for $9, so I think that was a pretty good deal. I did get a short starter with the tip attachments for different types of bullets.

I don't have plans to get up to 120 grains, from what I have read somewhere in the 80-90 range should be the sweet spot for me. I am not the guy that tries to load everything to max.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:15:18 PM »
You should be able to use about anything from Conicals to Sabots. There are so many choices out there you are bound to find a few loads that shoot well. You can check out the Modern Inline ML forum for more ML info.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick