Author Topic: 30 mm projectiles  (Read 594 times)

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
30 mm projectiles
« on: September 26, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »
I have a rifled barrel that I am looking at making a cannon out of.  Going to try and make a breech loader this time.  Do ya'll have any ideas of what I can use for a projectile?  I had thought of making a mold and then making bullets, but wasn't sure if there was something readily available like there is for my BB mortar and golf ball cannon.

Thank ya'll,

Nitrosteel

Offline GGaskill

Re: 30 mm projectiles
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »

This mould and handles were made for a 30 mm barrel.  It can cast a Minie or flat base ball (cylindrical, actually) depending on the base plug.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline NitroSteel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »
Where did you get your mold from?  It looks really nice.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 04:55:24 PM »
Made it myself.  Here is another pic showing the cavity and a Lyman four cavity mould.  I should have made the handles in this simpler style.  The single cavity style handles were a lot of work.

The cavity doesn't show well in the reduced image the forum gives.  Look at the original pic if you really want to see it well.  The blocks were sized for a somewhat longer projectile than they were actually finished at.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 07:19:55 PM »
Look at the original pic

OK, how do I do that?

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 09:34:06 PM »
There are two ways to do that.
1. Right click on the picture, left click on "save image as" (or some version of that), save it on your desktop, then open it there. Your scroll wheel can make it any size you want.
2. Right click on the picture, left click on "properties", copy and paste the address into your browser, open it and a left click on the picture should make it bigger.
I prefer method one as it is faster and easier and get you the biggest picture.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 11:57:04 PM »
Thanks, have done that many times, but somehow I thought the forum changed it.  But all you have to do is to go to this url:

http://lassengunsmithing.com/images/CannonMould.JPG