Author Topic: Treadwell 6-pounder, sole survivor?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Treadwell 6-pounder, sole survivor?
« on: September 25, 2007, 08:06:53 AM »
Here's a picture of a Treadwell wrought iron and steel 6-pounder gun. It is unmarked as far as I can tell, but all of the characteristics and measurements match exactly with the descriptions in various original documents.

The Treadwell 6-pounders had the same measurements as the US M1841 bronze field gun, with the exception of the screwed-on trunnion band. The one pictured has a raised vent, as if the vent bushing had not been screwed in all the way, or Treadwell had made some change in this area, for which we have found no documentation.

Basically Daniel Treadwell was a very successful inventor in the early 19th C. He made a fortune from his inventions of textile machinery. He then had an idea on how to make a stronger non-bronze cannon, and invested hundereds of $K in a huge machine to compress welding-heat wrought iron onto steel to make cannons. He sold a few 32-pounder "wrought iron and steel" guns to the Navy, which survive in Washington DC and Norfolk VA.

He sold eight? 6-pounder field guns built on his plan, to the Army for testing. Until now, none were thought to have survived. The Army tested them to extremity, and the results are well documented in the National Archives, RG156 as I recall. They did quite well but the Army was not sold on his pattern of cannons.

I made this information available to a distinguished late individual I knew who was a published author, but it never got into print. I thought I should at least post it somewhere in case my stuff goes to the junk man after I check out (which hopefully will not be too soon.)

I also sent it to Jim Bender of OH, who is the new "keeper of the register" of surviving US Civil War era artillery.

Offline cannonmn

Re: Treadwell 6-pounder, sole survivor?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:15:10 PM »
Yesterday I took some better photos of the item.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:02:23 AM »
cannonmn,

Very nice piece. Thanks for sharing the info. I notice a hole (possibly two) next to the vent. Any idea what they were for?
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 03:44:18 AM »
John,

which part of the gun is steel and which is iron?

Is rough finish original or part of the aging process?

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 03:54:57 AM »
Holes next to vent were for the Army-standard percussion firing lock of the period.  These locks were developed by E. Hidden of New York.  You will see similar holes on pre-CW bronze pieces in the National Parks.  It looks like the lock-mounting holes to me, but most sets of such holes I've seen are two threaded holes a couple of inches apart, in a line parallel to the bore, then another unthreaded, smaller hole in between them and a bit out of line, for a locating pin that was part of the lock.

The "grooved-look" on the outside of the gun is due to aging.  You sometimes see this on old wrought-iron guns.  That's how the wrought-iron corrodes.  You can tell which way it was "wrapped" from that corrosion pattern.  You see the same thing on very corroded Parrot rifle reinforcing bands.  The steel part must have been a tube inside of the wrapped wrought iron.  I think the unusual configuration of the breech face is actually the protrusion of the steel interior tube.

There are a few of Treadwell's ultra-light 32 pounders in existance, made the same way, and none of them show the striations on the exterior, that's how I know this one has corroded to reveal that appearance.