Author Topic: Wal-Mart logs guns sold, then used in crimes will videotape all transactions  (Read 715 times)

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24114145/

I am concerned on when someone legally purchases a firearm from Wal-Mart under this new video system and sells it legally using FFL to FFL transaction on the internet or face to face or whatever legal means.

How will Wal-Mart know that ownership has changed hands?  Police will be chasing law-abiding citizens and wasting time with Wal-Mart outdated video file crime busting system.

yooper77

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Ding, Ding, Ding. Hello, Hello. :D :D  You buy a tank of gas and you're a movie star.  Wally already has the capacity to track you from the time you walk in the door throughout the time you spend in the store.  Every step. 
I see it as just another PITA feel good move.  As far as transfer, ffl, you have a copy, face to face, get a name, address, ss# or lisense #.  Makes sense anyway.  :D

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
They'll probably find out they are takeing miles and miles of tape with little effect.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
I am sure it will be digital video, but I don't feel it will offer much for investigations.

Of course, anyone should keep accurate records for any firearms transactions.

yooper77

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
What a ridiculous idea.  What is that crap going to prove/help/protect????

Newer stores have digital video and storage.  We only retain video for 30 days right now.  I assume that we would have a separate harddrive just for the sporting goods area. 

Sounds like a bunch of crap to make Bloomberg type people happy.  Can't see the reality of it though....would have to install head level cameras somewhere to record faces in transactions.  Digital or not, they are still 480i recorders.  You can't see squat when you blow up the pictures, let alone aerial shots don't allow much ID'ing of people anyway.

I can believe the need for background checks for the assistants and sporting goods people.  As of right now there aren't any.  The basic background check when you get hired for any job at Walmart is only looking for felonies and I am skeptical about how thorough it is. 

They will have to write software to record serial numbers, everything is in only in the bound book and on the 4473's right now.  Invoices and packing lists from Sports South, Lipsey's, whatever have handwritten serial numbers and such.........

Personally think that it is amazing whenever someone, police or customer, wanting us to research a serial number.  My current store doesn't sell as many firearms, but we are still talking about thousand guns per year.  Would need to have electronic 4473's and boundbook.  Sounds like blowing smoke to me.  Still disgusts me, but sounds more like blowing smoke than real change.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
The way I understand it they (Wal-Mart) are being pressured by that government agency that is totally out of control the ATf&E.  ATF&E are pressuring others as well to do the same thing.  If they can hurt business enough, or make it cost prohibitive the big stores will quite selling guns. 

You old guys think back remember when Western Auto sold guns?  Every hardware store had a gun counter.  Then ATF started making it harder and some of the smaller sellers stoped selling guns.  Then they started putting pressure on the small FFL dealers, the little gunsmiths shops and the small Mom And Pop places.  Many of them quite selling because of the book keeping required.  Then they went after the larger stores and larger gun shops.  Sears and Penny's quite selling guns.  Now that they have run most of the gun shops out of business, they are going after the bigger stores that still sell guns.  Wal-Mart has quite selling guns in many of their stores because they were not selling enough to make a profit at those stores.  Now they are requiring the Wal-Mart stores to keep video records, that will drive customers away.  When the profit margin drops the store will drop the sell of guns.  Then ATF&E will go after the sporting good dealers that have gun counters like Cabela's, Outdoor World, Sportsman's Warehouse, Gander Mtn, and all the others.  Eventually they will run all gun sellers out of business.  Then with no corporate customers the gun manufacturers will shut down.  The way things are going in that arena there won't be many left to shut down any way.  NEF was bought by Marlin, Marlin was bought by Remington.  Now who is going to buy Remington, Ruger, Savage, T/C, Mossburg, or Weatherby?
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
sourdough, back in the 70's i worked at a Western Auto Store, we had a long wall of shotguns and rifles and two glass display cases of handguns, we sold and traded alot of guns and sold alot of ammo, but that was years ago, that store was a old 100 year old store with wood floors and all glass front, next to us was a shoe store, dress store, hardware store, feed store etc. on and on, now all thats left down town is a lot of old empty buildings and the courthouse, they have some of the old stores open with high priced stuff for the tourist, all this was before WAL-MART came to town, it took a few years but they killed the old down town as they do in all small towns they are in.