Author Topic: which first???  (Read 749 times)

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
which first???
« on: July 17, 2008, 09:22:43 AM »
It seems to me that it may be cheaper to buy a muzzleloader and then add rifle barrels. I would also think a used rifle barrel would be less likely to be rusty or pitted inside than a MZ. Any other thoughts on how you would do it?  :-\ opinions appreciated, just trying to get my nerve up to buy and if I order off the net it will be a first for me. ;D
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: which first???
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »
I thought long and hard about the best way to go on contenders an muzzleloader and after reading post on how much effort had to be put into cleaning after firring I then looked at the cost of barrel and fore end for the Thompson's and found that the best way for me to go at least money wise was to buy the new streamline muzzle loader by Thompson which was only 35.00 more than a barrel and fore end and not have to change out barrels. The cost of this gun was 350.00 from eds contender. I then bought a new pro hunter encore from ed and started collecting used barrels from the members on forum and to the members credit every stock ,action, barrel or grips has been received and in a timely manner and were well above what I had hoped they would be and all were like new and I have been well pleased with my net buying. Hope this is of of some help. my best advice is do your research
Deaconllb

PS are you located in Oklahoma?
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:41:53 PM »
I would buy used, If it has been taken care of then buy it. Just look and you will save about $100, Sometimes you can find deals with a scope on it and such.  There is very little blow back on the Encore and it is very easy to clean. If you use some powers you can clean it with just water and then make sure every thing is clean, Then you can coat it in a good gun oil and store it. The frame may have the be wiped down but that is it. $400 for another gun as a ML separate is crazy, and It will be worth about $200 when you go sell it and you will still have to put optics on it. You can find a good used ML barrel for about $200 and put a descent scope on it for the same price as the new ML. Most take good care of their ML's and you won't find any rust.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 06:19:41 PM »
Which you go with first would depend on what you intend to use it for and when.

I got my Encore muzzle loader barrel long after I'd aquired other barrels and only because Ohio has a special muzzle loader only season.

I've bought some new Encore and Contender barrels from Fox Ridge Outfitters and have no regrets about it.  I paid more than if I had bought used but I had instant gratification and what I wanted hardly ever came on the used market.  Also, when you buy new, you know exactly how it has been cared for.

Most of my barrels have been bought on internet auction sites or internet forums.  In general, they have been either brand new or excellent used at quite low prices.  I only got 3 barrels in all my purchases that weren't as described and I got my money back on all.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:51:25 AM »
I've bought several used ML's on the net.  Only one was not as described and I got my money back on it.  This is where someone's feedback rating on the auction sites comes into play.  If they have great feedback, I wouldn't worry about a used ML.  If they hae a lot of feedback regarding issues with their descriptions, condition, etc, I wouldn't buy from them.  It does seem as though the Encore ML's are a bit cheaper and easier to find NIB.  I'd buy which ever you can get cheapest for a NIB gun.  Then I'd start shopping for barrels.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 08:24:20 AM »
There is a feedback system on this site also. If you buy from someone here click on there member name and you can view their feedback.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:24:36 AM »
thanks for the thoughts guys. I think I have my first one found. ;D laminated, stainless, 209x50 NIB for  $605.00 including shipping and FFL fees on my end. ;) sounds like a deal to me.  and deaconllb I am from se ok
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:09:17 PM »
Sounds good. Can you post pics when you get it?

Rick

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 02:03:58 PM »

Rick

Offline Capt Gary

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 07:02:08 AM »
The muzzleloaders are by far the most fun to shoot and fool around with. I purchased my first Encore in stainless/laminated muzzleloader configuration and have had a great time with it over the last several years.
I later added a 7mm Rem Mag barrel I purchased used. This turned out to be an extremely accurate barrel and I've used it for hunting for a couple of years.
I just picked up a Pro Hunter in .338 and am looking forward to some range time and load developement for it.

One thing I did with my Encore muzzleloader (and 7mm barrel) was to send them out to Black Ice coatings and had the entire gun done it a flat black finish. This included the scope base and rings. All parts except were coated. They did really nice work and the gun looks great. If the .338 shoots good, it will get the same treatment.
http://www.blackicecoatings.com/

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 07:07:03 AM »
On your .338 is it the Federal or the Winchester? Could you post your results because I am intrested in one.

Rick

Offline Capt Gary

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 10:49:16 AM »
It's the .338 Win. Mag.
I ended up with this rifle in a trade and it was the most desirable caliber the guy had at the time. I've always like the .338 Win. Mag, so I decided to give it a shot.

After looking at the ballistics I figured I could load to .338 Fed. levels any time I wanted or shoot it at .338 mag levels.
Go to the Federal Premium web site and look at the numbers for the 180gr Nosler Accubond load.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=582

Shoots flat, and recoil is not as sharp as the 200gr and over loads.
Should work great for deer, etc.
Will let you know how it does on the range after a little work.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 04:20:35 PM »
Thanks. I would rather have the .338 Fed just because it is not a belted magnum. The good thing is if you ever go hunt elk then you have plenty of rifle for it.

Rick

Offline Capt Gary

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 05:15:34 AM »
Moose on the menu..!!