Author Topic: YOUTH HUNTING  (Read 870 times)

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
YOUTH HUNTING
« on: August 06, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »
Hi guys

Been hunting here in OK since my arrival in 1993, 99% public land but have had ok luck. Seems to be a little harder to find a spot these days to take a new hunter. My son loves to come with me & now has been hunting deer for 2 years & dove /small game for 4. I would like to take him on a hog hunt locally if possible anyone have any prospects.

We usually go out too black kettle in Sep. with a friend & his son to hunt dove & camp out for 3 or 4 days, it is great fun with the kids but the dove population around there does not cooperate that often, usually get enough for a meal (& we let them off school for a couple of extra days)

Deer hunting is hit & miss but I bought him a doe hunt in the special doe season 2 years ago & he taged his 1st at 131 yrds I was more proud than he was

go to see an Oklahoma section
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: YOUTH HUNTING
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:21:29 PM »
Are you near the Cheyenne area?  Or are you traveling to Black Kettle.  A little more info, and someone might be able to help you guys out.  I have been looking for a hog hunt as well, have found several outfiters around but either they were fenced in or could not find good references on them.  I would like to do one as well but want free range.  Some that I looked at offered a lesser rate for youth hunters but I do not have the names.  Hopefully, you will find a farmer with a problem and can hunt for free. 

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:55:47 AM »
onehole I sent you a message, I don't know if there are any openings but you can still ask. went to lease Tuesday for about 2 hours and seen 21 deer, 5 hogs, 4 turkeys and 1 black squirrel. Black squirrel are getting fairly common. Anyway, this time of year,usually wait until september, we can pour corn out around any water source and hogs will find it. If you feed them a few days they keep coming back. Set up a stand and it is better than deer hunting cause you can hear them coming 10 minutes before they get there. It is a pretty good rush but not as good as trailing one shot with a bow ;D and wondering how good your shot was. :o   

Seems weird to me but it is illegal to hunt hogs. If you are hunting any other animal legally and see a hog you can kill it so I bait for squirrels and watch for hogs ::) so that I am legal.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:01:51 PM »
We will be traveling out to blackkettle from the OKC area we kind of go to get out of dodge & away from the women foke, boys weekend out been going there for a couplr of years just a good place to get away for awhile

OKISHOOTER

I gave him a call & will wait & see if I hear from him this weekend if not I will call again.

So what is your preferred squirerl gun in case they get a bit rough 45-70 444marlin :D
Thanks for the info, if it all works out I'll let you know one way or the other.

I have not had time lately to use a bow & don't even know if I still have 1???
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 03:12:40 PM »
Well I have been getting by with my .44 mag marlin for the beastly Oklahoma squirrels but am considering something like a .375H&H for such dangerous game.

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 07:54:02 AM »
I like using my bow but occasionally squirrel hunt with my '06 just in case ;) If you hear back let me know I have plenty of good honey holes I can show you.
Thanks,
Okieshooter