Author Topic: light and scopes  (Read 537 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
light and scopes
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:29:53 AM »
well i might have already asked this but anyways, I have 2 scopes that cost 2 different prices(one i paid 6$ and the other 25$) on 2 diffent airguns. ok well i do a lot of hunting in a flat field and it's seem like that with the daisy 4x15mm i can make really good shots in the bright open ground but not so much in the dark. but with my simmon 3-9x40mm it's hard to make any shots (hard to see the cross hairs) on bright sunny days but in low light or night time hunting(with no lights) this scope seems to be best at. So, i would like to know why a low powerd scope works so well in sunny days but a higher power scope does not?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: light and scopes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:17:52 AM »
Good question Jamal!  I can't wait to see some of the replies!   ;D  How do you come up with this stuff anyway?   ???

BTW, I'll save my thoughts on this for a while...  ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27:47 AM »
The larger the front lens is, the more light the scope can let in.  The usable light that reaches your eye is dependant on the front lens diameter and the magnification (power) of the scope as well as lens coatings and the ability of the optics to transmit light thru the scope.  Take a look at the rear lens of your scopes as you hold them away from you:  you will notice that the diameter of the Daisy scope image (exit pupil diameter) will be a little less than 4mm, the Simmons' exit pupil will vary from just over 4mm at 3x to just over 13mm at 3x.  Depending on your age, your eye's night-adapted pupil will range from 5mm to 7mm.  Simply put, the Simmons lets more light thru to your eye.  If you try using it at 9x, you probably won't notice much difference as compared to the Daisy.  Neither of the scopes you have is high quality, but they do what you want, but take a look at a Nikon or another of the better scopes to see what a difference good quality makes!

As far as the Simmons being hard to use on bright days, it probably has a fine crosshair and the Daisy's is probably coarse.

Take a look at the Crosman airgun scopes, they seem to be pretty good.  I have been using one on my .17 HRM rifle until I bought a BSA Sweet 17 scope.  My 4 x 10X Crosman will soon be listed in the classifieds.

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 11:38:52 AM »
The larger the front lens is, the more light the scope can let in. The usable light that reaches your eye is dependant on the front lens diameter and the magnification (power) of the scope as well as lens coatings and the ability of the optics to transmit light thru the scope.  Take a look at the rear lens of your scopes as you hold them away from you:  you will notice that the diameter of the Daisy scope image (exit pupil diameter) will be a little less than 4mm, the Simmons' exit pupil will vary from just over 4mm at 3x to just over 13mm at 3x.  Depending on your age, your eye's night-adapted pupil will range from 5mm to 7mm.  Simply put, the Simmons lets more light thru to your eye.  If you try using it at 9x, you probably won't notice much difference as compared to the Daisy.  Neither of the scopes you have is high quality, but they do what you want, but take a look at a Nikon or another of the better scopes to see what a difference good quality makes!

As far as the Simmons being hard to use on bright days, it probably has a fine crosshair and the Daisy's is probably coarse.

Take a look at the Crosman airgun scopes, they seem to be pretty good.  I have been using one on my .17 HRM rifle until I bought a BSA Sweet 17 scope.  My 4 x 10X Crosman will soon be listed in the classifieds.

your probably right about the  crosshair (the daisy  crosshair  looks like something that should be on a big game scope). the daisy 4x15mm is a good rim fire or large bore(.22 and up)airgun scope and with the porch light on low i can easily hit rats in the dark at 30-50 yards and the Simmons well i have got up to 75 yards with airgun on paper but i can see up to 150 at least. also these 2 scopes lived thought the salt swamp of FL with sand and salt so there alright, not the best but it's killed lots of game at 50 yards or less with airgun and head shots only so i would not put down cheap scopes. If had a Nikon or something better i would use it.  I got the daisy for 6$ and the Simmons for 27$(with ringes) so if it goes out it not the bad. also these scope are as good as you use them.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends