Author Topic: got a model 12 today  (Read 929 times)

Offline John020769

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
got a model 12 today
« on: June 29, 2008, 09:14:16 AM »
Local Gun Shop ,worked on this for 3 days, 90%+  ,Gun Shop wanted $425 got it for $349.50 out the door now why I got them down ser # gun last 2 # 30 barrel 35 and after market pad,did I do ok wanted it for hunter? Going to pass it down someday, never seen safety like this (will post pick soon) oval big button no red line or even place for it to be painted the tag at gun shop said 1947 mfg date . Barrel 30 in Full , shot it nice tight pattener at 40 yds with 6 shot and Remington sluggers at 50yds about 2in high but 1 big hole. I happy but wife needs some( why did I pay so much )help Me out , It was My money and my brithday is July 2 is what I told her and do I got to say more.!!!!!!! She got mad.................John

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: got a model 12 today
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »
It's most likely been refinished if it looks to be 90% is is from the 40s. That replacement safety and pad are further evidence it's not likely stock but has been refinished. As long as it's tight and works as it should and you are happy you did fine.

I'm not sure how the price on them is holding up these days but not so many years ago the price on them was thru the roof and one in 90% stock condition from any year of manufacture would have brought double that price. Even refinished guns in good condition were selling higher than that.

I've never been a Model 12 fan really altho I've owned a few. For me they just will not pump. In order for them to pump correctly you need a bit of forward pressure on the fore end at the time it fires so the mechanism will disengage to pump. From long years of use of the Remington 870 I've learned to be pulling back not pushing forward and for me the M12 just will not pump correctly. I think a cousin of mine likely still owns all I ever had as he bought all of them from me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline John020769

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 07:09:47 AM »
Today is My brithday(39 with trouble) thanks Graybread.com for the brithday wish. (Wife still wants Me to sell or take it back ), from a member hear found out it was made in late 1947 and the gun shop changed barrels with another they had on hand that was 30 in full choke from a 1948 gun that was on hand in the gun shop. Best guess anyway and My gun shop aggress (spelling) took it to ontarget Kazoo Mi and was told it looked orginal rated it at (3 of them) 91% because of some handeling/hunting marks . Safety was a custom order for a trap option gun. Going to keep and small game hunt with, then pass it down to son and let him decide were it gose........John

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 07:21:44 AM »
I'm a huge fan of M12s.  I fundamentally believe they are the best hunting shotgun you can buy today.  And I completely disagree with GB about the pumping.  A good M12 pumps way faster and smoother than an 870 (or any other gun). 

They type of M12 you bought is really common right now, the 30" full.  I own one of the heavy duck 30" fulls.  I shot my first turkey with it years ago.  The problem is that you don't really want to shoot steel out of it, and you don't want a 30" barrel for most types of hunting.  For that matter you don't want full for much either. 

Does it have a rib on the barrel?

I love the big button safety.  It's easier to manipulate with gloves on.

Offline John020769

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 05:40:24 AM »
No rib, I like the long barrels that is what I learned to hunt with. The short barrels that come on the new guns just don`t feel or look right to Me. The pump is ok for Me the old 870 wingmaster I have has to have alittle foreward pressure too. When I go to the old Mossberg that My Dad gave Me that is when I get screwed up ,have to pull back alittle on it.

Offline John020769

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 06:36:20 AM »
Took the old gun to woods today,was hunting with Dads old Mossberg But it started to load 2 shells at a time (it just needs a good cleaning). But the model 12 loved my reloads I got 4 squirrels and Son got his 1st and 2nd kill. Tommrow is squirrel and onions over home made gretty corn bread (not jeffy mix)  ;D