Author Topic: Russia may outlaw this alcoholic beverage.  (Read 589 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Russia may outlaw this alcoholic beverage.
« on: July 25, 2008, 04:13:46 AM »
  Jul 24th 2008 @ 11:30AM

Travelers in Russia have always had a lot to thank Czech beer companies for, since the makers of some of the world's best beers have long been able to send their foamy wares to the Russian market, giving beer lovers a better alternative to the country's less-than-stellar national brews.

Exports to Russia have always been a large revenue source for the companies that brew the likes of Staropramen and Pilsner Urquell.

But the Russian market could soon dry up for Czech beers.

Russia political analysts say the country should consider banning all Czech beers. The reason? Objections over Czech plans to host a United States radar station, which would be part of a missile defense shield in eastern Europe that Russia thinks is aimed at it, despite U.S. assurances to the contrary.

Russia is considering other, seemingly stronger moves. Days after U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was in Prague to ink the radar deal a few weeks ago, the Czech Republic experienced a mysterious decrease in natural gas supplies from Russian pipelines. Analysts say Russia should also consider re-opening a radar station in Cuba.

But don't underestimate what effect a Czech beer ban could have. It would be a "serious response" to the U.S./Czech radar base, an analyst tells the Russian newspaper Ria Novosti.

No word yet on whether Czechs would consider responding with a ban on Russian vodka.

Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Russia may outlaw this alcoholic beverage.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
nwo

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:53:53 AM »
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:13:19 AM »
New world order.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:25:39 PM »
Dale,
Did you read how much the beer exports to Russia is worth?  All this time I thought the Russians only drank Vodka!

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:21:10 AM »
No I do not know what the beer exports are worth. I would bet that Russia consumes as much beer as any other country though. Dale

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »
And I would care why?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater