Author Topic: KP-1 calibers  (Read 3827 times)

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
KP-1 calibers
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:16:52 PM »
I have seen several lists of calibers available for the KP1, some more extensive than others.  This is the most inclusive list I could find, and it comes from the Knight website.  Calibers include...

"In addition to .50 caliber muzzleloader, barrel calibers include: .17 HMR, .22 LR, .204 Ruger, 22-250, .223 Rem., .243 Win., .270 Win., .308, .30-06, .300 Win. Mag., and 45-70. Shotgun barrels include 12-gauge smoothbore, 12-gauge muzzleloader, 12-gauge 3-inch rifled slug and 20-gauge 3-inch rifled slug."

I was encouraged as this list is longer than in my KP1 manual that came with my 45-70 and longer than their KP1 pdf catalog available on the Knight website. 
Here is the link I found...

http://www.knightrifles.com/PressRoom/Releases/KP1_Transforms_the_Legend.htm

I have sent them an e-mail asking about calibers, and of course left them my list of suggested additions.  If you are a regular reader on the Handi-rifle forum, the new caliber wish list is huge but largely unrealized.  It cant hurt to ask though.  My caliber choices were a little off beat.  I want a 44 mag (20 inch barrel) and a 6.8 SPC (I know this is a long shot), a 500 mag, 260 Rem or 7mm-08.  I would not buy them all to be sure, but one or 2 would find there way home with me eventually. 

Cheers, xhare

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: KP-1 calibers
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:37:09 PM »
I would like to see a .257Roberts and a 25-06 but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:38:32 AM »
Knight has replied to my email.  As the list above shows, they have added the 308, but to my surprise, they have also added the 44 magnum (24 inch barrel).  I of course think that is cool.  The gentleman who emailed me said he is sending the new catalog my way as well. 

I don't know what other offerings they might have.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:21:51 AM »
I am going to have to get the catalog soon. I think I have one on the way. ???
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:46:12 AM »
Got a good source for these KP1 barrels?    ;)
WHUT?

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 03:23:35 PM »
I have googled KP1 barrels and had some hits.  Not all of the calibers listed seem to be available yet, but with some looking you might find what you are looking for.

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 04:24:42 PM »
Here is another reference to caliber choices.  This one also includes 444 Marlin, makes sense really, once you are making .44 barrels, might as well offer both calibers.

http://www.outdooralabama.com/oaonline/knightrifles.cfm

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 01:33:41 AM »
I received my catalog.  While the catalog does not list the newest arrivals, the price list Knight sent along does.  In addition to the others listed in above posts, add a heavy barrel 22-250. 

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 05:00:51 PM »
Forgot one other,  the .204 Ruger is on the list as well. 

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 01:59:34 PM »
Forgot one other,  the .204 Ruger is on the list as well. 

That is good to know, they need to add 25-06.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 03:23:48 PM »
Looks to me like they are getting the most popular calibers in the lineup first, plus handling the special Mississippi rules (Handi Rifles have been selling like hotcakes there).

They are completely without a .25 of any sort as well as missing anthing in the 7mm diameter.  I would not be surprised to see the 7mm-08 and 7mm Remington magnum show up soon.

After that, other calibers become much more dicey.  If they decide to go the route that Thompson-Center has (lots of calibers) they will need quite a following to support it I would suppose.  Even TC has mainly the most popular calibers in their standard lineup, you have to go with the semi-custom/custom route to get lots of less popular and wildcat calibers.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 12:28:33 PM »
Time will tell. I held a 300win mag the other day in the KP1 and I can see this as recoil being very bad. The weight of the gun is quite a bit less than the specs.

Rick

Offline Nrut

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 10:02:30 AM »
I hope you are right about the weight being lighter than specs. 30-06man...Their stocks look like they are set up to handle recoil...I had rather buy a light rifle and add weight to it (never found the need) than try to widdle the weight down (have done that many times)...My plan is to buy one and have it bored out to a .35 Whelen or .375 Whelen...The main thing I don't like about these KP-1's is that they didn't make them 25 years ago....  :)

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 01:10:30 PM »
Its lighter than the Encore. The gun looks just great and it shows promise.

Rick

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 03:54:30 PM »
Nrut (love the name)
The main thing I don't like about these KP-1's is that they didn't make them 25 years ago....

I agree with you (except I was not purchasing guns then).  The KP-1 is the 45-70 I have been waiting for.  I never could get into the Contender or the Encore (no reason, it just didn't spark my interest).  I love my Handi Rifle 45-70 and have owned a Browing 1885 in 45-70.  The Ruger No1 is way to expensive for my budget and I never liked Rugers folding sights very much.   When I saw the KP-1 online, I thought I had found what I was looking for.  So far I love it.  I need to do more shooting but so far so good on that end as well.  It will be my deer rifle this fall, unless I get that 308 barrel or the 44 magnum by that time, Ill have some choosing to do if that happens. 

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 04:56:02 AM »
Bud's gunshop is showing a bunch of barrels in stock including a .270 Weatherby Magnum??   Do you think someone goofed on that one?
WHUT?

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 11:30:56 AM »
My first instinct would be to say yes.

Offline olsingleshot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 02:24:23 AM »
Time will tell. I held a 300win mag the other day in the KP1 and I can see this as recoil being very bad. The weight of the gun is quite a bit less than the specs.

Mine KP-1 weighs in at 7.5lbs w/o scope or mounts on my verified scales. It would be a hand full in .300 Win Mag but still heavier than some other rifles in the same caliber, including the Encore. But weight depends on caliber, barrel lenght and contour. I have an Encore in .30-338. This is not a pleasure to shoot off the bench,even with a muzzle brake. But it is very accurate.