Author Topic: Most accurate 500sw rounds?  (Read 393 times)

Offline mattt

• Trade Count: (0)
Most accurate 500sw rounds?
« on: August 09, 2008, 03:50:51 PM »
For labor day I am going to a friends ranch that has a range on it. He has a metal gong out at 400 yards . He  has always said no way could i hit the gong with my 500. Well I am going to get a chance and thinking the leverution by hornady is my best chance at hitting at 400 yards. I dont reload so any advice will have to be about retail ammo. It is a performance center 500 10.5 berral with no scope. any input would be great thanks

Offline TEXXAS

Re: Most accurate 500sw rounds?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 08:00:55 AM »
mattt - Watch my 5 part video series on youtube, its on long range revolver shooting with iron sights. (http://www.youtube.com/texasfivegun) Take some liquid paper, a needle, a brass "tooth brush" and a beach chair
if you can find one.

Use the liquid paper on your front sight. Make a line with the needle to use as a reference and brush of the
dried paper with the brass brush to start over if your marks are wrong or when your finished.

The chair I am talking about puts your butt about 4" off the ground and lets you lean back. You pull your legs up
put your hands/wrists between your knees. It works better "much better" for me than a bench rest or any thing else.
I have a Caldwell HAMMR machine rest and I can out shoot it with my chairs.

You must have "0" flinch for this, a good spotter helps and if you can get the sun behind you the bullets are easy to
see in flight.

You may run out of front sight with that long barrel, short to medium barrels and tall front sights are easier to work with.

I have never shot a 500 S&W but we have found with 500 & 475 Linebaughs, 414 & 445 Supermags, 454 Casull, and
44 Remington Magnum. A heavy for caliber cast lead bullet works best. A gas check is easier to see in flight. A high velocity
is not needed. About 1200 FPS is what we use the most.

If I can help PM me and I will give you my phone # and email.

Good Shootin and Good Luck!   Chad

Offline mattt

Re: Most accurate 500sw rounds?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »
Thanks texxas I will watch your videos and pm you if I have anyquestions. I do have some 500 grain 1400 fps rounds by hornady. Those are the slowest 500 grain rounds I have. Most of the stuff I have is much faster. thanks