Author Topic: Insert barrels in NEF shotguns  (Read 729 times)

Offline student1946

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Insert barrels in NEF shotguns
« on: August 25, 2008, 06:47:43 AM »
Has any one any experience with center fire insert barrels in pistol and low pressure rifle calibers for shot guns?I saw some from a company in Alaska www.mcace.com . I wondered if they were accurate.They would seem to be a handy way to change a shotgun back and forth from shotgun to rifle within the limitations of the calibers suitable without having to fit a new barrel.I was especially thinking of the heritage deluxe model,as the rib would simplify the addition of sights or scope mounts a-la turkey or slug guns.Anyone have any experience with these inserts?

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
Re: Insert barrels in NEF shotguns
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 10:16:30 AM »
I have a 22 Hornet insert for my 28 gauge barrel, I have only shot it 1 time meaning 1 shot, I wanted to hear how loud it was.  I bought it in a combo Topper 28gauge/50 cal muzzlerloader barrel.  I guess I could dig it out and shoot a pattern at 25 yards.  The bead isnt much for aiming at rifle though.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:17:59 PM »
I also have the hornet insert. Shoots OK, But like mentioned, with that big bead front site, you don't know if its the sites or insert that loose the accuracy.

@ 25 yards I had a hard time hitting tin cans all the time.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MISSEDSHOT

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:30:16 PM »
I have the .22lr insert for the 12ga. and at 10 yards I can hit within 3-4 inches of point of aim with bullets and the stock bead.With shot shells or snakeshot as some call it,I can tear up aluminum cans out to about 15 paces.