Author Topic: I got thrown out of the pawn shop today.  (Read 1810 times)

Offline tykempster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
I got thrown out of the pawn shop today.
« on: July 30, 2008, 07:28:25 PM »
So I go into the local pawn shop to look at guns...and I see some .457 round balls sitting there in old, old, old boxes.  I ask the guy how much each and he makes a big deal of looking up the price in a new catalog.  He tells me $15, which I knew was BS.  I simply told him no thanks, but then he decided to ask me why, so I told him because those are really old, and I'm sure you didn't pay near that for them, plus Graf's down the street has brand new ones for $8!  Apparently he didn't like being questioned in front of his toothless friends, so he told me to "GET OUT!".  I left him with the closing statement that his used Handi-Rifle for $450 was a ripoff as well.

;D

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: I got thrown out of the pawn shop today.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »
I'd say that is OK as long as you have been thrown out of better places that that.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
I have never gotten along with pawn shops, either.  $450 for a Handi?!!  Must've been a limited edition with lots of 24K gold in the engraving.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:01:05 AM »
Question for you.Would you engage in the same behavior at Wal Mart? Totally inappropriate behavior!If you don't like the establishment's prices just don't buy their merchandise.Just because it is a proprietorship and not a big chain gives you no right to insult someone.regardless of their stature in your eyes,in their own place of business.
By your actions,you put yourself below the person you are denigrating.Nobody in your family ever teach you GRACIOUSNESS?
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:59:08 AM »
I have successfully negotiated at Wal-Mart on items that were imperfect.  Just ask the manager and you might get a clearance price on a damaged, but serviceable item if it is the last one or close to it.

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:06:59 AM »
Question for you.Would you engage in the same behavior at Wal Mart? Totally inappropriate behavior!If you don't like the establishment's prices just don't buy their merchandise.Just because it is a proprietorship and not a big chain gives you no right to insult someone.regardless of their stature in your eyes,in their own place of business.
By your actions,you put yourself below the person you are denigrating.Nobody in your family ever teach you GRACIOUSNESS?

Stan IMO Woodchukhntr was not insulting.  He tried to be polite and said  "I simply told him no thanks, but then he decided to ask me why, so I told him"  after being asked he was just honest with the fellow.  Sometimes the truth hurts.
Corey
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 02:28:51 AM »

Looks like you need to practice what you preach!!
You are insulting Tyler and his family with your statement.

The shop owner asked "why" and Tyler spoke his mind.

Spanky

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 03:38:59 AM »
I have to ask this question, if it is a bus. open to the public, and wants to sell to the public
the person running it needs a little thicker skin, i have had people offer me Half of what
i paid for a piece of equipment, i have to just laugh and say no-can-do.
I can not order them off my property(as much as i would like to) maybe next week i will have some thing he just can't live without (not if i run him off today) If you are going to deal with the public
on a daily basis, you are going to meet some fools. I ask a customer why he doesn't want to pay
my price, I get listen to his answer.
Stan IMHO you are way out of line on this.

Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:59:24 AM »
Ty

You have just learned an important fact about Pawn Shops , not all but most do not make their money from sales , they make their money from loans , were you pay twice what you spent in the first place for something .

Don't get me wrong , I think they do serve a perpose but most will try to take advantage when they can .

JMHO

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 04:44:15 AM »
I worked at a pawn shop for about 3 years part time when I was in college. Haggling is part of the deal. I didn't always enjoy it either. Sometimes you'll get guys who will offer you half of the sticker price, and then go from there. It can be a pain. In your defense, when the guy asked "why?" he walked right into it. If he didn't like your response, he should have not asked.

Stimpy is right, shops make their money from loans that people pay interest on. In Texas, those rates are set by the state Consumer Credit Commission which licenses all pawn shops, employees, as well as the background checks and finger printing. (Same stuff for a concealed handgun license now.)

Loan values are typically half of the used market value. Quality weapons or tools may get 2/3 value because they sell well. Jewelry is based on scrap gold prices. The interest rate is high, but it's set up as a short term loan. If they loan more than half, then the interest owed plus the principle is higher than the value of the property. If you loaned someone the full value, why would they come back and get it and pay the interest? They could just get another one somewhere else and buy another one.

It's a tough business. It does serve a purpose for people who can't manage money or fall on hard times. You get a few criminals trying to move stolen stuff, but every transaction is reported to local law enforcement, so you catch some thieves too.  I used it myself when I graduated from college. I had to wait 6 weeks for my first paycheck and I was driving a 100 miles a day for job training. It got me through.

Offline choctaw

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 05:00:26 AM »
but then he decided to ask me why

One should never ask "why" unless one is prepared for the answer.  That being said I haunt certain pawnshops because  I know/respect the owners and employees.  If the item is priced right and its something I want, I'll buy it.  If not, then I'll move on.  However, as alluded to above, even in large retail stores the sticker price may not be the bottom price.  Doesn't hurt to ask.
"When I am on the trail, it leads me through the forest, across valleys and streams. It is there, alone with God and his creations, that I find sanctuary."

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 05:36:40 AM »

I myself absolutely would question prices at Walmart, or anywhere else if I thought they were out of line. 

I find it is the typical proceedure in pawn shops to quote a high price, knowing that you will try to negotiate.  I don't feel that Tyler was out of line in any way.  His behavior was not insulting at all.  The shop keeper asked why. I can't imagine it was the first time the pawn shop guy ever had someone question his prices, or offer less.  In fact, he may have been trying to take advantage of Tyler because of his age, and was caught by surprise by his knowledge of the prices.

I have been reading Tyler's posts and responses for a while.  They are always polite and respectful.  I can't imagine he would act differently in person.  In fact I think it is great that he would be a member here and want to chat with all of us "old" guys.  With young men like him, the future of the sport is in good hands.  It's refreshing to see that he would rather be shooting or fishing, or going to pawn shops as opposed to hanging out at the mall looking for trouble, or sitting inside playing video games or something like that.

On the other hand, I do think Stan in SC was way out of line and insulting to Tyler and his family.  Perhaps he should learn "GRACIOUSNESS" himself.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 09:19:28 AM »
If you don't want an answer, don't ask the question!! tk did nothing wrong here IMO
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 09:37:38 AM »
HA HA

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 09:48:47 AM »
I've found most pawn shops to be run by pretty seedy sorts. Most show about the same amount of respect as they get.  I prefer not to enter most.
That said,  I also don't think tykempster was out of line at all.  It sounds like the owner was looking for something/someone to get PO'd at.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 12:23:17 PM »
 8)

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 01:49:42 PM »
I have been down and out ,we all have been at that point but the pawn shop takes advantage of your situation. They will loan you little to nothing,  then when you go to pick it up it costs you more to retrieve your goods than they are worth.The next time you see a 450 handi you Know the poor soul that had to pawn his prized rifle for 75 or 100 for whatnot was screwed! Now the profiteer wants more than new prices, and acts offended if you try to negotiate! Check loans, Pawn shops, Loan sharks  bottom feeders.  Good job walk and dont look back.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 03:54:18 PM »
I'm siding with the kid.  I've told several used dealers that they are asking more than new price.  Sometimes I'm told "go buy it there then", other times they will deal better.  I've even taken ads from the paper in to show they are out of line.  I've been told to go to hell, and thank you.  Guess which place I will go back into. ???   Ya done just fine Tykempster.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 06:07:36 PM »
In my defense I was not rude at all, he got angry and asked why I didn't want them.  I told him why, and he started screaming at me...I could have screamed back but that would make me look bad instead of him being the fool.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 06:32:59 PM »
You dun well.  The guy probably got them on clearance from somewhere at two dollars a box and thought if he sat on them long enough he could clean up.  And that's his right; but he'll be sitting on them a little longer now until some fool comes in and pays full price.  I wager that you won't be doing business with him in the future, either.  His loss.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »
tykempster:  Don't feel bad I have got thrown out of pawn shops also.  I was looking at a really abused Handi in a pawn shop, they had it priced 25% higher than a new one.  I made a realistic offer and the owner was offended.  He asked me what made me think I could get it cheaper than the price he had on it.  I said I can buy a new one at the gun shop down the street for less than he had this old beaten up one priced.  He got real huffy and ordered me out.  So I left and went down the street and bought a new one.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 03:44:55 AM »
Once in awhile you can get lucky. Recently bought a 90%+ Bulgarian Makarov (9x18)for $115.00 from a local pawn shop that just dabbles in a few guns. The clerk said that he had to warn me that ammo was not available for that gun which is why they had it priced as they did. Hate to think what they gave the previous owner for it. For once some ones ignorance paid off for me.
GuzziJohn

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 05:46:36 AM »
I've gotten some good deals in pawn shops, but most ask way more than the item is worth.  We have one shop that won't come off the price at all.  I never buy there.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline chip-don

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 06:11:58 AM »
hey! i have a toothless friend ;D

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 08:37:27 AM »
Some of my most favorite guns came from pawn shops.  Were they a good deal, YOU BET!  Some of the people at pawn shops do not know about all of the products they have for sale.  Electronics to musical instruments to outdoor sports to guns and fishing.  I have asked some shops if they are willing to dicker on prices.  If they are not willing to dicker, I just politely leave.  I am really interested in something they have and know the value, I am honest with them and tell them a reasonable range of values and make an offer.  Sometimes I say I will be back in another day or two to check back.  Sometimes they get screwed on the original loan and are too much into something so they will not get their money back out of it.  If they took the item in on a loan, they have a card with the loan value on it.  That is what they use to record their profits.

Sounds like Tykemster went into one of those pawn shops that I wont deal with.  I can name a few of them off the top of my head.  I go in there once in a while just to cause a little aggravation.  I deal with two or three local pawn shops all the time.  Enough dealings so the workers there and I talk using first names and discussing prior dealings.  They are happy to pass on good deals to me because I am a loyal customer and am willing to pay a reasonable value for some of their guns.

I recently passed up an FA 454 for $900.  It was an awesome deal.  They also had a SBH with 10" barrel that looked like it hadn't been shot.  $400.  oh, it was stainless too.   I did pick up a used Ruger P345 in as new condition for $289 and an old HiStandard Double-Nine for $75. 

I am fair with them, they are fair with me, we get along fine.  Some shops are like this, some are not.  You have to shop and get to know your stores.  when you find a good one, leave them one of your business cards and some of the toys you would like to pick up.  You would be suprised how things turn out.

Steve  :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 01:45:47 PM »
24:1 Stan ,you need help,  KODY