Author Topic: Need help finding replacement stock for Winchester 94 in .45 Colt  (Read 1033 times)

Offline B. Miville

• Trade Count: (0)
Hey folks,

A couple years ago I bought a Winchester 94AE in .45 Colt from a buddy at work.  It was in absolute MINT condition and only had 15 rounds through it (the guy even threw in the remaining rounds from a box of 25 he had origionally bought with the rifle!!!!)  the only complaint I have with the rifle is that the wood stocks that came with it had what I believe were factory defects in the finish, and the guy I bought it from installed a swivel stud on the rear stock himself, but it is off center and about 5 inches too far up the stock.  So I have been off and on searching for replacement stocks and finally have decided to get it taken care of and pick up new stocks.  So.........

What I am looking for is both the front handguard and rear buttstock, but one thing I don't know is will the usual Win. 94 handguards (which I make the obvious assumption are basically for .30-30 sized bbls) also fit the larger bore 45 colt I have (which is a full length 20" by the way and not the carbine length 16").  I do love wood and it would be my first choice, but since I bought this for a serious hunting rifle to pound the woods in all kinds of weather with I am worried about durability and so I am also open to synthetic stock as well.  I am not so worried about water/rain and the wood (I have a system I used on my caplock muzzleloader in which I use spar urethane on the inletting and other open grain parts and healthy and copious amounts of Butchers Floor wax making for a solid piece of wood that looks great and has repelled any amount of water I have yet to drag it through), but getting banged around and dinged up will mean more work waxing as time goes on.  I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg on fancy wood or pricey synthetics for a "working" gun.

So, can anyone answer the question about bbl thickness and the handguard size, and what about suggesting some wood or plastic for it?

Thanks,

Brian

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Need help finding replacement stock for Winchester 94 in .45 Colt
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 08:15:02 AM »
[it had what I believe were factory defects in the finish, and the guy I bought it from installed a swivel stud on the rear stock himself, but it is off center and about 5 inches too far up the stock.]

Since you don't like the blemishes, why not take the EZ (read:cheaper) route, and fill the swivel hole with a walnut dowel, file/sand the dowel down flush & refinish the stock(s) ?

It'll take all of about 10mins to strip the old finish off, w/o any more sanding, by using Formby's Furniture Refinisher (from WallyWorld), and maybe a day or two more, to stain & Tru-Oil the wood.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline B. Miville

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
Since you don't like the blemishes, why not take the EZ (read:cheaper) route, and fill the swivel hole with a walnut dowel, file/sand the dowel down flush & refinish the stock(s) ?

Hey, I never even thought about that.  I figured the swivl stud hole was there for good, but that sounds like just the trick!

I guess I will give that a try first.

Thanks!

Brian

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »
T I P: When you plug the hole with the short piece of dowel - look first at the dowel's end grain, and align it with the way the stock woodgrain runs in that area, when you glue it in.  It won't be as noticeable after it's sanded down & stained to match the stock (if needed).
I recommend a waterproof carpenter's yellow glue - available in small squeeze bottles from WW or Home Cheapo.
Be sure to coat all around the dowel and inside the hole w/glue - you want to avoid any air gaps after the glue dries.

Good Luck, and take pics as go go, so others may see how you do !
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline B. Miville

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 02:50:23 PM »
Well, I took out the Winchester to start figuring out what size dowel and what kind of work will be needed.  Unfortunately things don't look too good.  The guy did a real butcher job.  The hole looks slightly ovalish, but what is worse is that when screwed down it was hiding a couple small (but relatively deep) chunks that are missing, and also it was compressing another chunk, about 1/2" long and about 1/8" long that looks ready to split off.  To make this thing look somewhat respectable I would need to drill the hole out to 1/2" and since the hole is grossly off center the dowl would be visible slightly along the side of the stock.

I am starting to wonder if the headache is worth saving some money......

Brian

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 05:14:17 AM »
Please check your mail.  ;)

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 09:12:18 AM »
You have a pretty nice stock set there, Brian.

Offline B. Miville

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 12:28:51 PM »
I am salivating at the chance to get them back on the rifle!  I love this little gem of a rifle I happened upon, and now I can show off the wood with pride!  ;D

Brian