Author Topic: A touching story  (Read 729 times)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
A touching story
« on: August 03, 2008, 05:42:54 PM »
I just got back from Upper Peninsula Michigan. I was up there visiting my uncle whose wife passed away last week.
He wanted to show me a pistol he had. My great grandfather was a cop around the turn of the century for the Calumet/Heckla mining corp. It was a Colt police positive 38 in great condition, minor holster wear, perfect bore. There was a small chip on one of the grip panels but no major cracks or scratches anywhere. He wasn't sure if it was from 1908 or 1910. It was very cool.

I spent the rest of the week up there with my family and did some fishing and visiting. We left yesterday and headed for my friend's house in Wisconcin for a graduation party. Half way there my Dad says to make sure I call my Uncle Fred when we get home. When I asked why he held up that pistol and said Uncle Fred wanted me to have it to make sure it stayed in the family.

I almost had to pull over I was so over come with emotion. Here I am a 5'-10" and 275 pound long haired biker type and I almost cried like a baby.

I'm going to look up the serial number 590xx and see when it was made and look up a value, but for me it's priceless.

GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: A touching story
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 06:02:53 PM »
make sure you call your uncle
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:08:28 PM »
It was pretty late when I got done putting my boat in the garage, but definitely tommorrow, though I really don't know what to say.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 01:17:04 AM »
When I asked why he held up that pistol and said Uncle Fred wanted me to have it to make sure it stayed in the family.

Sounds like they knew that the Colt would be in good hands. Congratulations 8)

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 02:38:35 AM »
Congratulations on the pistol.

I now have all my fathers guns since he passed away, ranging from Custom Mauser rifles, muzzleloaders, shotgun and a 22LR pistol & rifle, and I wouldn't part with any of them.  One holds a special place in my heart, on my 16th birthday my dad brought me into his bedroom and told me to take my pic from his gun rack, I picked a maple stocked custom Mauser in 243 Winchester, this rifle has taken Coyote, Antelope and Deer.

I am from Kingsford, MI, my dad is from Ishpeming,MI and my mom is from Republic, MI, we are all yoopers.

yooper77

Offline magooch

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:16:12 AM »
This all brings up a touchy subject for me.  I'm not thinking about checking out any time soon, but it got me to thinking about my guns.  I wouldn't leave anything to my dead-beat son; he'd sell them for his next stupid whim.

I'd like to leave everything to my daughter, but her husband isn't allowed to have firearms.  He might be able to get this restrction lifted, but he hasn't so far and I don't know if he ever will.

I guess that leaves me with staying around long enough for one, or more of my grandsons to grow up and show that he/they are deserving.
Swingem

Offline no guns here

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:07:09 AM »
I'm not planning on checking out anytime soon but my will has my kids getting a pick each until finished.  If for some reason (may God forbid) that we all pass at the same time, all of my guns go to my nephew.  Oh... and I'm MEAN!  I put a clause in there that says that anyone that contests the will receives nothing at all.  One thing I'm planning on doing is writing a description of all my "stuff" not just guns... just a short paragraph or two to describe the 5W's of how I got it and what it meant to me.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 04:21:54 AM »
Hey GRIMJIM. I was wondering where that Calumet/Heckla mining corp. was located. I live in SW Pa and we have a couple real small towns only a few miles away one is called Calumet and the other is  Heckla. we almost bought a house in Heckla when we moved back to Pa. There has to be a conection somewhere. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 05:38:09 AM »
It was around Calumet Michigan. About 25 miles or so north of Houghton/Hancock. I don't know if that is where the headquarters was located. My great grandfather, grandfather and father all worked for them in the copper mines up there.

From what I understand it was a very large company and it probably is related. They took some of their land and built up towns on it. They used to sell houses to the miners for $5.00 per room. You see a lot of homes in town that look like duplexes where each side is a different color.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 08:18:09 AM »
Yea it must be related some how. When you go through Heckla here you will see about 50 or so small houses that are the exact same. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 08:44:47 AM »
You can have a safe full of firearms and all together they won't be as "valuable" as that one

I agree, it says something about you that he wanted you to have it. Enjoy it, take pride in it, and cherish it.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 09:48:31 AM »
That's a great story.

Offline weasel

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »
A while back my SIL who I don't really love too much was watching me go thru my guns, he grabbed a Mini-14 out of the safe and said "This one's mine!" I grabbed it back, roughly, told him I'd be outliving him out of spite if nothing else. The next day off took a little trip and gave the Mini to a cowboy buddy of mine. Even tho I dislike the SIL, if he had asked nicely I'd given it to him then. So now I give my son a gun for every CHRISTmas/ B-day, he loves 'em more than even me. When he got back from Iraq, we gave him a 10/22 just for coming back in one peice.

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 03:01:46 PM »
Hello Im from Michigan also. Regarding the Calumet-Hecla industries it was probably the most profitable copper producer in the US in its day. Regarding the Pensylvania question, Calumet-Hecla once it got really large and the railroad systems became very efficient it bought property in New York state and built a large smelting operation there. The ore from the properties in  Pennsylvania and other areas were smelted there. There is info available on wikipedia and other areas. Leave the K out of the Hecla spelling. Today its interests are owned by oil companies.
If Guns cause crime, then mine are defective...Ted Nugent

Offline crustaceous

• Contributor
  • back for a limited engagement
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 06:02:45 PM »
I think he gave you that gun because he wants you to become a cop!
In Colorado we've got the Hecla mine near boulder and Hecla Junction, a campground on the Arkansas, which could have a mining history

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 02:18:21 AM »
Grimm

I know what you are saying. I have a few heirloom guns I would not sell for a million dollars.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 06:51:28 AM »
My wife being a paralegal made sure I had a will, and paperwork saying who got certain guns out of my collection.  That was back before we had a son.  Now everything goes to him.  He hunts and really appreciates a fine gun.  He is a better shot than I am out to 300 yards. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »
Ditto on the Gun stories. Im sure alot of us also have guns bought way back when like my 3 shot Mossberg shotgun purchased for me at the big price of 35 bucks when I was the ripe old age of 12. Im 55 now and I wouldnt part with the memories with the gun or the gun for anything.
If Guns cause crime, then mine are defective...Ted Nugent